Mothering Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
soooooo for the most part i LOVE my mirena iud, and the freedom it has given my dh and i. i used to have very heavy, severely crampy periods, and now they are shorter, lighter, and very little cramps (jusy some mid-cycle cramping).<br><br><br>
i have had it for at least 6 months now and there is one possible side effect that i am wondering if anyone else noticed...<br>
about three times during my peiod i have felt "flu-like symptoms" that i did not connect to my period until this last time around. i get the chills, feel nauseous, headache like i am coming down with something, then i never puke but the symptoms lessen as my period does.<br>
its almost as if my body needs to be doing SOMETHING during this hormonal, monthly process and since the iud suppresses my normal cycle i have these other symptoms.<br><br><br>
at this point i have to say it's not enough of a reason to remove it--cause there is NO other method that works for us! and we have had much more frequent and satifying sex since it's insertion.<br><br>
curious to know if this is rings a bell for other mirena users! probaly going to bed here soon but will check again tomorrow to see if anyone has thoughts......

·
Registered
316 Posts
i find this happens to me as well. sort of like the beginning of a tummy bug. i feel kind of crappy in the few days before i get my period. it starts to subside the first day or so, and i feel fine by the end of it.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I have had my Mirena for almost 2 years now and I have not had any problems like this. However, I don't ever get my period. Sometimes I fee a little crampy around that time, but that's it.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
I've had mine for four years and haven't noticed any flu-like symptoms. I don't get my period at all, but still get a bit PMSy. Other than that, I love it!

·
Registered
850 Posts
i'll tell my story about my Mirena IUD,<br><br>
i got my IUD placed in early spring. i spotted and cramped for weeks. my periods were very irregular and not any better then before the IUD. many times they were worse and had severe cramping and passed lots of clots. all summer i experienced a mystery illness. my sinuses we constantly inflamed and sinus headaches all day. i had a low grade fever the came and went. i was having waves of pressure to my head that felt like i was about to pass out. i even went to the ER at one point because i heart rate would shoot up to the 140's while i was standing still not doing anything remotely active or strenuous. i had severe fatigue and had a few days where all i could do was lay in bed. i had blood work do to rule out thyroid issues and other illnesses. everything came back normal. i even asked my doctor if he thought it could be my IUD and he blew off like i was crazy for asking. finally i had enough and had it removed in November of the same year. with in a week i felt like a new person. i'm convinced it was the hormones that messed me up so bad. i also think i may of had a minor infection. i even tried the Nuva ring a year later and the same issues problems started to reappear. i'm permanetly off BC and my hubby or i are getting ourselves snipped as soon as possible. i don't mean to scare anyone off of IUD's. i loved having it but i just can't handle the hormones.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I got mine in nov and have not experienced any symptoms like this, I just had my first real post partum period though (my daughter is 17 months It lasted almost 2 weeks so I guess the mirena wont be making my period shorter like I had hoped.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts