Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought about posting on the IUD issues? thread, but I didn't want to hijack...

I have had my Paraguard in for 2.5 years now, and I want it out! I got it a few months after DD2 was born, cause the original deal with DH was to stop with 2 kids. I seem to be sensitive to condoms, I wanted to avoid hormones, charting was a teeny bit too 'iffy' for DH, and we aren't religious (
at the 'pull and pray' thread).

I resent its presence in my body! I was/am really surprised. I felt that way when I got it, like aliens had probed me. The insertion was ok, kinda like a bad pap (I let a NP/student midwife insert it under supervision of my trusted mw), but it freaked me out to have this contraption in my body. My periods didn't return until 2 years pp (I LOVE BF'ing!) but since they have, they have been just awful, heavy (flooding super tampons and my new beloved DivaCup), cramping, super long, and don't get me started on the random bleeding whenever (is that normal?). I long for a 'normal' period again where I can use my Diva without worrying about yanking pokey things out of my hoohaw

Has anyone else just 'changed their mind' about the IUD? I kind of feel silly 'quitting' it, since it was supposed to be for 10 years! But if I think about it I still feel squeamish about it being there. I don't want anyone to remove it either though, I'm freaked out about that too... any way to make it vaporize? For those of you who have had an IUD removed, was it like insertion? Like a pap? Quicker? Easier?

To be totally honest, I do want to renegotiate the deal and see if I can get DH to go for 3, but even after we are both truly done with kids, I don't think I will go back to the IUD...

anyone BTDT?

·
Registered
759 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by treqi View Post
The extreme period is a symptom of the Paraguard which is why I went with the Merina because of the light to non existant period symptom.
Same here. I wanted to go the no-hormone way but I already have a hard time with my iron levels and decided I couldn't have extra bleeding. When I think about the IUD in there, it does kind of gross me out. But nfp didn't work for us, I get sick on pills, and I'm not ready to have another kid.

Don't be hard on yourself if you want it out. You can always get one back in. I put in the Mirena knowing I would only have it in 2 years tops.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
I felt the same way! I got my Mirena in a year ago and I just had it removed after only a year, even though we aren't ready to try for another DC right now. In theory I liked the IUD, but my body started not liking it. I had mysterious cramps, and I think that partly it was because I just didn't know if I liked it there. Also I do subconsiously sort of want to TTC again, I think, and that made the IUD irritating to me.
(Even though logically I don't really want to, if that makes sense...)

Don't feel bad about getting it out. 2.5 years is a long time to have it in... maybe you could use condoms and start charting and then hopefully your DH would come around to using FAM as BC.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by AugustineM View Post
I felt the same way! I got my Mirena in a year ago and I just had it removed after only a year, even though we aren't ready to try for another DC right now. In theory I liked the IUD, but my body started not liking it. I had mysterious cramps, and I think that partly it was because I just didn't know if I liked it there. Also I do subconsiously sort of want to TTC again, I think, and that made the IUD irritating to me.
(Even though logically I don't really want to, if that makes sense...)

Don't feel bad about getting it out. 2.5 years is a long time to have it in... maybe you could use condoms and start charting and then hopefully your DH would come around to using FAM as BC.
yes, total sense. wanting to have a third isn't logical for us in any way, I just want another baby...

we charted to conceive dd2, so I know it works in one way. right now I'm bf'ing, though, and have no experience with charting and bfing and still a crazy sleep schedule, but I do keep an eye on my CM (and think, 'hey, I"d be fertile right now if it weren't for this #$%@ iud').

thank you for normalizing my feelings...

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Yeah, charting right now for me is starting to seem totally useless, even though I like doing it. My temps are all over the place, mostly high, and my CM is wacky too. Though I've only had the IUD out for 2 weeks and in TCOYF she says that it can take months for your body to normalize after having hormones. For you it would probably be a quick return to charting normalcy.

I can't remember, where are you in AK?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have the Mirena going on my third year..and I'll be having it removed soon...I don't feel bad at all..I knew it wouldn't be the entire five years...

I can completely identify with why you don't like it...as far as the alien thing goes..if I think about mine too much it kind of freaks me out..

however, the period thing is nice..I haven't had a real one in over a year..

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by AugustineM View Post
I can't remember, where are you in AK?
Anchorage... I've been down your way once and I MUST go again... GORGEOUS!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovenmama View Post
I can completely identify with why you don't like it...as far as the alien thing goes..if I think about mine too much it kind of freaks me out..

however, the period thing is nice..I haven't had a real one in over a year..
I'm glad I'm not the only one! (even though I'm sorry that it's freaking you out too) I should have thought of it more before I got it, cause the whole idea of norplant freaked me out too. I guess I'm not an implant sort of a girl.

I had never heard that mirena hormones affected your period and made it lighter... at least you got *some* benefit from it.

good luck with your removal! I think I'm gonna make an appt with my midwife soon... now just to tell DH
:

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
I just ordered off your site. I ordered my son the cloth training pants to use as his nighttime diaper.

My DH was all for me getting it out because I had explained how much pain I was in. He kept telling me, "GET IT OUT." Even though now we are using condoms, which neither one of us like very much. But once my cycle regulates enough and I can temp successfully we'll use FAM. Then in another 6-8 months TTC our third (and probably last) baby.

If you come down to homer let me know!

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
just an update to say I have had my probe removed and the aliens can no longer find me! yay!

the removal was soo easy (compared to insertion) and didn't feel a thing. I was worried (my DH was joking about salad tongs) but no problemo... I sure feel relieved to have it out.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Coming on late, but good for you! I also just had mine removed 2 weeks ago and was relieved at how painless it was. Some delayed cramping a couple of days later, light spotting, that's it.

I had mine for 2 years, and finally just got weirded out by having it in. DP could feel it, I suspect it as a contributing factor in my depression (we'll see, but so far I feel much lighter. Psychosomatic? Who cares!), and I don't believe there's such a thing as "local" hormones anymore... I also just am trying to move towards being MORE connected in general, and having a device in where I don't have to ever think about my cycle just didn't jive.

Additionally, I need one more temp to confirm, but I'm pretty sure I just ovulated.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hooray for you! I just got mine taken out a few days ago (Mirena) and thought I would have it for the 5 years (which financially was the cheapest form of BC compared to other conventional types) but ended up having it for only 2 years. DH was getting poked, I would have wierd cramps, I'm suspecting it was causing my hair loss (although I won't be sure until it stops) and I did not like it. We are going to do FAM now and TTA. I'll never get one again. At this point, I do not think I want more kids. We have 4 all a year apart pretty much and that is time consuming enough! With homeschooling, me full time schooling, home life, wife life, etc. I don't think I can parent more babies the way I want to (AP) and keep my sanity. But down the road if we have a "surprise" then I'll be ok with it. I just don't want to intentionally TTC.

ETA: I know FAM is the most "religious" but it is also the most natural way also, kwim? I am doing it for the fact that FAM will not mess with me hormonally or any other way. How beautifull to be able to know your bodies rhythms so well
(I still have to learn how to do FAM but I can't wait to be know how!)

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by nuwavemomma View Post
Coming on late, but good for you! I also just had mine removed 2 weeks ago and was relieved at how painless it was. Some delayed cramping a couple of days later, light spotting, that's it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by happy_wife_&_mama View Post
Hooray for you! I just got mine taken out a few days ago (Mirena)
Yay for us!!
:

I seriously think they ought to do more counseling on this birth control option BEFORE you have an IUD. Yes, it's a really effective form of bc, but I almost felt pressured once I mentioned it as a possibility...
anyone else have that experience?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.