Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here have any experience with an IUGR baby? I am 34 weeks, baby is measuring 3 lb, 7 oz up only 5 oz from 2 weeks ago. I don't know what the weight percentile was at my 20 week U/S but it was above 10th percentile because ther was no concern then. I am doing U/S and BPPs every week now and they say if things look good they will let me go until 36 weeks. 36 weeks is pretty early but not super early but I suspect a 4lb baby (or less!) will have to go to the NICU? Arggh.<br><br>
I don't know what my question is, I am jsut nervous. Until she didn't put on much weight these last two weeks, I just thought that it is a small baby because my 16 month old is really small (5th percentile) but this one is quite a bit smaller than DD1 was in utero. I know U/S can be unreliable but it seems like I am having enough of them that agree that I have to believe it... besides my OB and peri both say that I am just making them very nervous - I think their intuition is just telling them something isn't right. And I do believe in intuition. I don't know.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Hi there. Not in your DDC, but I saw your post and thought I'd share my story. When I was about 32 weeks pregnant with DD, they diagnosed her as being asymmetrically IUGR (that is her head was nearly on target with her gestational age, but her body was a few weeks behind). At this point I also started preterm labor - I think my body knew something wasn't quite right. But they decided to put on bedrest and meds for the labor and monitor my daughter and the placenta with a weekly ultrasound and NST every 2 days. She continued to grow some and was born the day after they took me off the anti-labor meds at 37 weeks. She weighed 5lbs, 3oz and was 17 and 3/4 inches long. But overall she was healthy! No NICU time needed. They did note that her placenta was very small. She did have trouble nursing at first, but with major perserverance, we overcame that. She was slightly jaundice for a bit and lost some weight, going down to 4lbs?oz. But she improved. I think the only other ramifications of her IUGR were reflux and food allergies. Now at nearly 6, she has <i>finally</i> made it into the 50% (she was below the 3rd her whole life before now) and is smart as a whip.<br><br>
I hope this gives you some encouragement. Best wishes!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts