Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just read in our base paper that my drinking water failed purity standards way back in September. It had elevated coliform bacteria and chlorine levels. Chlorine can cause neural tube defects and I can't find anything on the coliform except that it is not considered safe for pregnant women. Why do they wait until almost November to tell me? They even say it shouldn't cause a problem except possibly in pregnant or infants. Hmm a bunch of young families, no pregnant women or babies could possibly be drinking this water. I feel so guilty, I knew I should have bought bottled but it costs so much and we have been struggling to pay the bills and midwife. I haven't felt the baby kick and I am terrified now of spina bifida or other problems.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
oh goodness! I hope everything is okay! ((hug))

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Sorry to hear that. It sucks when our public utilities fail us. We've had coliform bacteria show up in our water in the past as well and I researched it a little then. Generic coliform bacteria in general are probably not harmful and pretty common in the environment BUT when they show up in water supplies they often indicate a possibility of other bacteria being present. Fecal coliform/e coli bacteria can cause problems though. Do you know which kind?

This explains it a bit:
http://www.doh.wa.gov/ehp/dw/Programs/coliform.htm

We got a relatively cheap under the sink filter / faucet (about $40) that comes up through a small hole next to the faucet (one of the ones typically used for the vegetable sprayer/soap dispenser.) The filter we get removes most chlorine, lead, vocs, etc and the parasitic cysts. We use water from that filter for cooking and I buy big gallon water jugs for drinking. The gallons are cheaper than small bottles. My biggest concern about the bottled water is the plastic crap that leaches into it, plus... who tests it? Sometimes the bottled stuff comes from municipal water supplies.
:

·
Registered
193 Posts
Call your doctor or midwife and discuss this with her- soon- for your peace of mind.

You can't go back in time so don't beat yourself up- you didn't know and you didn't do anything wrong.

Re: the baby kicking: I wouldn't worry about that at all. Since your in this due date club, you must be 14-18 weeks along, and it's not unusual to not feel anythng until after that.

Again, call your doctor or midwife and discuss this with her- in the meantime, my heart goes out to you because I understand why you feel panicked.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by rozzie'sma View Post
Yeah I have a brita filter, but as mentioned it doesn't catch the bacteria.
No, but it does catch the chlorine as long as you change it frequently enough.
As for the coliforms, I think they are a problem for pregnant women and infants because they can cause gastro-intestinal trouble which leads to dehydration. If you haven't had any sort of stomach bug leading to dehydration, then they weren't a problem for you. As I mentioned somewhere else on MDC... maybe in thsi forum, I drank water with high coliform counts for years. Depending on how high the levels went and how quickly they went up a lot of people would just never notice them. You'll be fine and so will your babe, don't worry!!

·
Registered
683 Posts
I had something similar- if not the same when I was pg. w/ my first. I had used a brita, and then when they tested again it was ok.
I don't really have any info on it- but my son was fine.
You can call the people who tested in the first place, tell them your situation and ask them to test your own water- it might have a different level and give you some peace of mind. Be very assertive- I'm sure they don't want to get "in trouble" for not telling a pg. woman- so they should really gets things done and talk to you about it. Do call you cp too- just to make them aware, I'm sure they can reassure you as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts