Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tuesday, I had a Big Mac and french fries.
Yesterday, a Mexican pizza.
Just now, I finished polishing off a big hamburger and chicken nuggets.
I know my baby deserves better food than this but I have no self control anymore.
I guess having stress from family issues is making this worse too.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I am the same way, especially when dh is out of town. I have been living off chocolate donuts ever since he left a week and a half ago.
: Don't be too hard on yourself, know that your body makes sure that the baby gets what he/she needs first, so really you have been giving yourself a bunch of junk. I am an expert at justification soooo your baby is getting plenty of protien.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
How far along are you?

I think we crave foods for a lot of reasons. I often want junk, but then I figure out what it is that I'm really needing. A Big Mac is just flat-out a lot of calories, and protein. That beef has a lot of iron. Maybe have a homemade burger instead, with lots of veggie toppings and a whole wheat bun? The fries could be because you're craving salty food. Have you ever had edamame?

Mexican pizza doesn't even have to be bad. Again, it's more salt, lots of protein (beans and cheese). Maybe make one yourself, with a whole wheat tortilla and load it up with veggies. Do you like avocado?

Skip the chicken nuggests in favor of *real* chicken.

You really do need the calories and the fat and the protein, it's just a question of delivering them to your body in a healthier way.

·
Registered
635 Posts
During my first trimester, and a little into my second, my m/s was so bad that I ate what I could keep down. Mostly that was a ton of fruit, french fries (and other potatoes, but french fries tasted so good), and milkshakes. I ate other stuff, too, but I found myself really drawn to those three things early on. Also plain cereal (rice krispies, cheerios, etc).

·
Registered
347 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by alegna
awww
What I tried to do was make sure I ate enough GOOD food- then I figured some junk on top wouldn't hurt.

-Angela
hey that sounds good!! pretty much my line of reasoning as well!!

Like after a day of super healthy eating...somehow that chocolate ice cream doesn't feel as bad...(especially if it's organic chocolate ice cream!!!)
I tend to splurge on weekends.....

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I actually feel bad for my KIDS because I haven't been cooking dinner for them lately. I've been so sick and tired lately that it's just easier to grab something from the fridge instead of cook a huge meal, with the clean up afterwards. Plus, I am so not in the mood for whiney 3 yr olds telling me "But this is yuuuuucky, mommy." So, frozen pizza and mac & cheese it is.
: I hate to admit it, but one day I was so sick and the site, smell, and thought of food was so disgusting to me that I grabbed a bag of baby carrots and set it in front of them and they ate that and leftover dinner rolls for dinner!
:

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
I've been eating like garbage, too...not entirely, but you could point out enough "junk" in there lately. I don't feel too bad, though - I'm nauseous and exhausted and if something sounds like it will go down easy and keep me from feeling seasick, I'm probably going to eat it. All things considered, beef, chicken, cheese, beans, bread are not terrible choices...the better you can get them prepared, the better,yk, but sometimes you do what you've gotta do. Especially when you're sick and tired.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
I've been eating like crap lately too. I'm just so tired and nauseous that junk seems like the only food I can stomach right now. I am craving fruits but can't afford to buy them since DH hasn't been paid since beginning of June and our money situation is, well, nothing for the next week (we did return something to a store for a little extra money, but they only sell junk foods and nothing fresh). As soon as we get some money and my nausea goes away I am planning on doing the Brewer diet--maybe round out the effects of the zebra cakes

Also, just so you don't worry too much, last pg I lost 30lbs in my first trimester I was so sick. My midwife told me not to worry too much about the health of the baby, she said he would take what he needed from my body and be fine. She said when she worked in a clinic in CA she had lots of healthy babies born to mamas whose diets consisted of MT Dew and Cheetos (although that is not what we should strive for).

·
Registered
852 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mamabear&babybear
know that your body makes sure that the baby gets what he/she needs first, so really you have been giving yourself a bunch of junk. I am an expert at justification soooo your baby is getting plenty of protien.

Sorry to say that the above is NOT true.... Your baby needs what you give it everyday. It is not a parasitic relationship. This is often why obese women (from poor eating habits) have small babies.... I'm not saying that you are expected to be perfect. We all have bad weeks. Try to fill up on all the good food first and eat the junk after that. You'll find yourself eating less junk that way.

Just start working on changing your habits.... Remember that baby's brain grows the most at 8 months.

Good nutrition in pregnancy will keep you low risk. You will have a much lower chance of having GD, pre-eclampsia, problems with PROM, etc....

·
Registered
914 Posts
I'll join the junk food club.

I'm normally a health-nut freak. But, I've been puking constantly, daily, so now I only care about getting something in my mouth and keeping it in my tummy, no matter what it is.

Can you say bear claw? Covered in butter? Microwaved......

This was all I could eat for two days. I don't even like pastries. Last night, I made my husband go get Fruit Loops for me to eat for breakfast. I would never let my kids eat that crap! This morning, though, we all sat down to HUGE bowls of Fruit Loops.
I'm only 120 and loosing weight, though I'm 7 weeks, so I'm kind of going on survival mode right now. I know I'll be back to eating healthfully soon and at least I can manage to take my pre-natals, though I haven't been able to even come near my pregnancy tea without gagging.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.