Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...a vortex called cloth diapers!!!!!!!!!!

The diapering boards here scare me. They speak another language and know so much about diapers--I'm overwhelmed! But I've been lurking and doing research and I have my first bids in on Ebay! I can't believe how cute cloth diapers are! I just wrote three sentences that ended in an exclaimation point!

I have a ton of really good prefolds from when Violet was a baby, so I'll use those and some prowraps. I have some bids in on Ebay for some Kissaluvs and Stacinator wool covers....I highly doubt this will be less expensive than sposies, but I figure I have 20 weeks until babe arrives to spread out the expense. Mother ease looks good, too. I am watching a really good auction for a lot of those.

Hopefully, I can talk my family into buying cloth stuff for babe because we don't need much in the way of supplies!

Jesse

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
I know what you mean! I stumbled onto Mothering while researching cloth diapers (that's how I got hooked!!) and was amazed by all the mamas there and their abbreviations.

As far as talking your family into buying cd-ing supplies, are you going to register or have a baby shower? Not everyone is into those kind of things, but my family wouldn't let me get away with not having one! I plan to register online at naturalbabies.com for cd's and supplies. Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm going to register there, too. Except that Kissaluvs has a great outlet store and ebay has great deals. I'll have to figure out what I'll need from naturalbaby.com and then register.

My dh said he refuses to wash the diapers--that's okay, I guess. I don't want him to mess with my system, anyway!

Jesse

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I just started cding my (now) 19 month old two months ago. So I'm currently buying diapers for him AND starting to think about buying diapers for the new babe. It's really adding up.

The folks over at the diapering board couldn't be more helpful. I just feel like an idiot; I'm constantly asking questions. In fact I'm heading over there right now. If you find any abbreviations that you cant find on the accronym help page, they are willing to update it. There is a thread somewhere I started about that. They said just to pm the terms and they'll add them.

Good luck with the diapering. I'm off to look into newborn stuff. Oh, and you are so lucky if still get gifts from others; I'm jealous. I got a shower - mainly junk - for my first and that's it. After that you're on your own. I always felt kind of bad that our second didn't at least get acknowledged somehow
:

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I'm glad you're having fun... warning though... it becomes addictive and it's really hard to get out of once you start... I know first hand, and dh is watching me closely for signs of obsession this time (I think he'll hide my credit cards...).

One thing I think you should know about ME before you invest, is that they aren't great for heavy wetters, and they feel like a wet towel when soaked. Just a thought since we don't know yet how our babes will pee (silly thing to be thinking about, I know, but if I'd known ds would produce waterfalls, I would have tried something else...). Now I just add hemp doublers to them since I'd already invested.

ENJOY! Before we know it you'll be our November
mama!

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
They've got a thread going right now on newborn dipes. I'd link to it but my computer is too slow to open the other window to find the address.
It's called "Alternative to Kissaluv Size 0 for newborn?" It lists good dipes for newborns and size smalls. Just thought I'd mention it . . .

·
Premium Member
1,807 Posts
It's weird, when DD was born I was crazy into cloth diapers. After she potty trained, I swore I'd never have another and sold them all. Well, now that I have "another" otw, cloth diapers no longer thrill me. I'm just going to buy the large package from ME and be done with it. Sure WAHM diapers are cute, but now, to me, they aren't worth the very high price they cost, so I'm glad I'm not obsessed about diapers anymore.

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
I'm sucked into the vortex, too! I've been perfectly happy with prefolds and prowraps/bummis (everything in plain old white) for two years now. And then dd goes and wants some pretty diapers, I start trying to find some good deals, and wham! I'm checking the trading post ten times a day. All of a sudden, all my old dipes aren't good enough... I need wool- and lots of it! And fitteds... and AIOs...

I used to make fun of people who were obsessed with the dipes. "The kids just poop in them- what does it matter what they look like?!" And now I'm one of them. <sigh> This is exactly what I should be spending my money on, right? I'm asking for one thing and one thing only for the new babe... paypal! :LOL

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
I think it's a good thing I found the diapering board so early in my pg.
I've gone through kind of a cycle of love with cd's.

1) awe

2) lust

3) planning & adding $$$

4) buying 1 or 2 samples/used dipes
:
5) re-adding $$$ for all the cute stuff I loved

6) humbling
:
7) re-planning

8) becoming a lurker on the diaper board
: asking occasional questions about prefolds.

I plan to use mostly prefolds, pinned or snappied, with about a dozen fitteds. Later I'd like to use sugarpeas also, but this way it's not such a huge investment right away. Plus I've heard so many things about newborns growing out of the nb dipes in just a few weeks...DH would not like that.

Oh, and my DH doesn't want to wash either, but I'm fine with that! Same thing--he'll mess with the system! We already disagree on how to wash normal things, like clothes, so I wouldn't want him to do anything with the dipes.

·
Registered
726 Posts
count me among the afflicted!

about a month ago i was spending nearly every spare minute trying to make sense of the ocean of choices available. i made an excel spreadsheet of the things that sounded good, heh! i've been buying a few of each kind i like, all used from the tp or ebay, planning like a lot of you to use mostly prefolds, but figuring that i'll want pocket dipes or fitteds with covers for outings. so. so far i have 5 kissaluvs 0 and 2 wonderoos that look like they'll fit a newborn, plus assorted smalls including some really cute fern&faeries, and i'm knitting soakers and have a few nikky and wool wrappy covers. i'm planning to still get some growing greens--they're one-size, but hemp so i'm hoping they'll be trimmer than the motherease. i'm kind of excited about the cloth diapering. resisting hyena-ness! i should probably just learn to sew.

*j

·
Registered
88 Posts
Congrats Jesse!! And welcome to the cult

The only things I've brought for this baby so far have been cloth. I spend time planning and ogling and wishing postage from the US wasn't so expensive, plus the darn exchange rate. Thankfully there's been an explosion in Aussie WAHMs in the last year and we can get great stuff here now.

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just won a stacinator.

I'm planning my stash, don't you worry. Still, I can see how easy it would be to go looney!

Jesse

1 - 14 of 14 Posts