Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
But I think my dd has a food allergy. She'll be 1 year old on Dec. 19.
Should we go to a doctor for this, or just wait it out?

We went to bed and she was fine, around 9:30 last night. At 12:00 midnight she woke up crying in PAIN. This child has hardly ever cried in her life. She's a very happy child. But we could not console her last night. It seemed to be a digestive problem. When she lay next to me nursing, she would pump her legs, kicking, vigorously a few times, then suck, then make little whimpering noises/moans. I kept thinking "do we need to take her to the ER? Did she swallow something on the floor that's stuck?"

Then she had a low-grade fever. The highest was 101.8. She was up, crying, until around 2:30. Then she drifted into sleep (nursing throughout). Woke up again at 3:30, cried, low fever, then drifted back to sleep around 4:15. Slept until 7:45... when she woke up, crawled over to the window to look at something (what relief that she seemed to be her old curious self!)

BUT, she now has a swollen eye! And her face looks a little more puffy than usual.

I think I know what the problem might be. She ate some cookie last night, and the cookie ingredients are coconut, egg white, and almonds.

I FEEL TERRIBLE, SAYING YES TO HER EATING A COOKIE LIKE THAT!!!!

We have no known food allergies in the family, and she's almost 1 year old, so I thought she's okay with foods. She eats everything. Last night she also ate some juicy orange, but she's enjoyed oranges many times before with no reactions like this. Last night we also ate turkey.

What should I do next? Should I take her in to a doctor?

·
Premium Member
2,909 Posts
Up until I read about the cookie, you DD's symptoms mirrored my son's when he is teething. But then the swollen eye and cookie. I dont know. A doctor wont tell you much though.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmmm, what you say about teething is interesting. I called a nurse help-line (from our insurance) and she also suggested teething, but that was also before the swelling appeared & the primary symptoms were crying and low-grade fever.

·
Premium Member
2,909 Posts
Does you dd sleep in a crib? Maybe she bumped her face or something. I just noticed your DD turns one 5 days after my ds. I know he is running into everything right now, and there are all kind of lound noises that come from his room. He bumps his head on his crib a lot.

A few weeks ago we were up and down all night with ds for a few days, and sure enough, after the first night I looked in his mouth and found teeth trying to bulge through. Have you checked around in her mouth?

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
In that cookie, the ingredients that could cause an allergy are coconut and almond. I am sure she has been exposed to egg before so that is probably not it. Almond is a tree nut, part of the walnut family, not the peanut family. Has she had any tree nuts before? Coconut is not a nut technically, I forget what family it is in though. I *thought* coconut was a relatively safe food, allergy speaking.

Going to a doc is not going to do any good for this particular instance. You may end up going to an allergist if you think this was a reaction, mostly to confirm your suspicion and get an epi pen because if it is a tree nut allergy, it can go anaphalaxic very easily.

Also, it really doesn't seem like a true allergy mostly due to the delay in reaction time. If she was really tree nut sensitive, the reaction would be much faster than the 3+ hours you note. Abdominal discomfort could be due to a number of factors, but I am not sure the cookie was the reason. Probably just a bad coincidence. Try not to beat yourself up. Eventually every kid gets a cookie.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.