Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i dont miss ds's last nursing.

just last week he spent one night with my xh for the first time. ds is coming up on 4yo, btw. he was there from 8pm to noon the next day. most of that time was spent asleep, though. the day i got him back, and the next day, he did not nurse. then he did the 3rd day, but not the one after. each day since he has nursed at least once. it seems as though he likes his boobie first thing in the morning, so i have been sleeping shirtless so he can help himself when he gets up.

prior to this recent slow down, i have of course noticed dips and peaks here and there. the first time he skipped a day was last summer while we were in a hurricane shelter. i was totally comfy with nursing there, but he was somewhat tense and distracted. other than that, there have been maybe 2 or 3 days where he didnt nurse, all months apart.

of course the end has to come eventually. i really had hoped to go 4 full years, but would have been fine longer. i just feel that this is not clw, sending him to my ex overnight. the way i held off xh from major court action was to promise that at age 3, no matter if he was still nursing, they could do overnights. i had in mind once a month, but didnt stress that to xh. during my pg, i had spoken by phone to liz baldwin. her advice kept my ds safe from forced separation. i have a file of her writings, but i doubt xh would read them. i just didnt anticipate him going this long; ds1 clw'd at 25 months.

so, am i jeopardizing clw by letting him go away one night once a month? (i already decided hell no! to each week or even every 2). is the slow down due to the night away, or was the night away ok b/c he was slowing down anyway? everyone irl thinks i am mental for caring about nursing a soon2b4yo, but i am sure you mamas will get me. help!

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
My 2.5 yr. old spends 1, occasionally 2, nights a week at his dad's house, and has since he turned 1. He is still nursing innumerable times a day and says he will never stop. I don't think 1 night a month would have any real effect on nursing if he isn't ready to wean already.

·
Registered
8,658 Posts
oh, goodness. i spent a week away twice when my dd was toddlerish. no, one night away is not going to wean a kid who still wants it.

contemplating going away for a few days with that same dd (18 now! who can believe it! she wants a grownup vacation, but still needs her mama
) & leaving the boys with dh (almost 3, & 4 1/2). i would be exceedingly surprised if they didn't rip my breasts off at the airport when i come back.

after lactating this long, a few days expressing in the shower before bed for comfort is plenty to keep things working. milk doesn't magically dry up that fast. and if a child decides he doesn't want any after an overnight, well, that's clw in my book.

don't worry too much. tension inhibits letdown

suse

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
as dd reached 4yrs she regularly skips a day. I have one more month till I reach the 5yr mark. I'm also trying to mark a calendar as dd is going 2-3 days between nursing but before I have a chance to write it down, dd would nurse again. I too don't think skipping one missed morning will cause a sudden weaning. My boobs don't feel heavy until day 4-5 and I've never had to do anything to them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts