Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1,184 Posts
Hugs to you. IVF meds are hell, I remember. Sigh.

I'm curious as to what specifically about BFing around embryo transfer would endanger a pregnancy. I do know from painful experience that IVF is not like a natural conception in any way, and so some of the rules of a natural pregnancy can't apply. However, I feel somewhat suspicious of this advice you have received... it sounds very very much like advice other pregnant women receive from their doctors about BFing during pregnancies achieved through natural means.

Therefore, not to send you on a wild goose chase or anything, really!
but I think it might be helpful to check out www.drjacknewman.com for information here. He is extremely knowledgeable and does answer email, and there may be information on the site itself that can help as well.

I do understand that IVF is high intensity, high hormones, high emotions, lots of pain, a huge rollercoaster, and I wish you and your family all the best, wherever you decide to go with the BFing of your little guy. At this point you have given him three wonderful years and the difficulties you're experiencing with him might also be there if you were nursing - I can't imagine going through IVF with a three-year-old in tow - you are a strong mama! If you do some more research and it helps you feel better about your decision, or supports any feeling you might have to want to continue BFing, either way you have done great to get this far.

Hang in there.

· Registered
1,184 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stumom View Post
Hello, just an update...I decided that since my son is here now, I needed to take care of him and my family, so we resumed breastfeeding on the 21st, exactly a week since we stopped. The changes are remarkable, although not unexpected. I will let you all know the results of our pregnancy test on the 28th. I guess a week for the embryo(s) to implant was more helpful than nothing. It seems to me that after searching, there just isn't any evidence either way, and that some just want to be as cautious as possible to increase the odds no matter what. I really appreciate the support and links, and I'm glad I found this board. Thanks!
Bonnie
Thanks for the update. Sending hugs to you and your little one, and sticky vibes also.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.