Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we are experiencing serious jacket phobia in our house these days. About 3 or 4 weeks ago ds1 decided that no he didn't want to start wearing a jacket out now that it is getting colder. At first we could slowly work him into it by saying that we were going out somewhere fun and that he wouldn't be able to come if he didn't get his jacket on.

Then two weeks ago I took him to a nino meeting and a little boy there hurt him really badly...i'm not sure what he did as I didn't see it but there was a huge mark on his chest(like a bite or a pinch) and the blood vessels were all broken..this was through a onsie and a pair of overalls. Well ds1 was distraught and ever since then getting him to put a jacket on has been torture..he has what looks like panic attacks.

In the past 3 or 4 days the panic seems to have gone but he still fights me bad!!

With my mom the other day he put it on no problem but with me or dh it's a battle.

I have tried to explain to him how sorry I am that he got hurt and that it wasn't ok what that boy did to him. That we arne't going to see that boy again.

Other then that i'm at a loss...other then fighting with him to get it on what can I do??

not wearing one and having him decide when to put it on is not an option..
cuz in a month or two it could be -35 out...(winnipeg Canada) skin can freeze in less then a min if exposed. I do not want to set a precident of you can wear a jacket if you want...it's to dangerous. My son is very stubborn and will refuse even if cold(already prooven that when he took his jacket off at the park and was frozen solid but wopuld not put it back on. He is also a las=te talker so he doesn't have the language skills to express why he wont wear a jacket. I need him to be use to wearing a jacket so in two months time when there is no choice as it is a health hazard he will know he has to wear a jacket before leaving the house.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
bring it with you, when he gets cold he'll put it on. maybe you could go to the store and he could pick one out?
He wont put it on...I have tried..
we can't afford to buy a new jacket for him

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.