Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're meeting some family in jacksonville in August (it's sort of a halfway point for both of us)for a week long vacation and are looking for things to do. Not just in Jacksonville, but area beaches, even as far up as Savannah.

So far on the list I have:
Jacksonville Zoo
St Augustine

If you have ideas could you also be specific, like not just say "Amelia Island" tell us what there is to do there.

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
320 Posts
I'll throw out a few ideas. My son is 4, so that's the age group I'm used to entertaining. I've only lived in Jax for 6 months, so my list is not complete by any means. All of these places have websites you can look up

The Zoo (I know you mentioned it, newly expanded children's area is great)
Tree Hill Nature Center
MOSH (museum of Science and History)
Metropolitan Park (has a free, nice, water play area)
Adventure Landing (theme park...)
Kayaking (Kayak Amelia is the outfitter I have wanted to used)
Hiking at Ft. Caroline/Timucuan preserve
Fort Clinch on Amelia Island (has reinactments/living history. I've never been there though)

·
Registered
9,943 Posts
Be sure to check out the Ripley's Museum in St. Augustine. (Believe it or Not.) Kids (and Adults) seem to love it.

Also, while you're there, if you're looking for a really tasty lunch, try the Casa Monica gift shop/cafe place (a take out place.) Their moroccan chicken salad is killer...as are the xangas (deep fried cheesecake....worth the splurge.)

I lived in JAX for four years, but my kids were always so young. Still, if you're going to go the beach, I recommend parking around Atlantic Beach (northern most in JAX...just travel up A1A/3rd Avenue) until you reach the Sea Turtle Inn. It's not as crowded...nice to walk on... and there are lots of fun shops to explore.

If you want to do something out of the way, I highly recommend the Casbah Cafe for lunch or dinner. It's this small Middle Eastern hookah bar/spot in Avondale. Lots of fun... great food... plenty of vegetarian options too. casbahcafeinc.com

On Amelia Island, we usually go to the Amelia Island Plantation. I love the Spa there (very zen, peaceful)... and the resort is more kid friendly that the Ritz Carlton

For any JAX mamas, I have to recommend the best pediatrician... Dr. Valerie Miles. We miss her so!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts