Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are Japanese beetles in my new yard! I did some web searching, and according to my state extension office, they aren't in my county yet. So, I called them today to find out if there's anyone I should report these ones to, but I got their voicemail, and no one called me back today.

It looks like there really aren't any good solutions. There are chemicals (which must be used repeatedly to see long term results) or there are natural methods, which can take years to see results, and even then, if you're the only one sprinkling your yard, they'll just mate in your neighbor's yard, and then come eat your plants.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
We have them here, worse than in years. I have been using a quart of soapy water (dish soap). I just sort of nudge them off into the jar, the soap bubbles keep them from escaping, and they drown. I can see results (been doing it for about a week now I guess), but there as still quite a lot. I did hear not to use those traps, as it would lure beetles from far and wide to your garden.

I am so sorry they are in your new yard!

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
we have them very bad this year too (worse than ever before)... i do use pheromone traps but they can draw them from far and wide like previously mentioned. we have a one acre garden and the traps do help us a lot.

i spray down our blueberries, kale and other plants they enjoy with soapy water after every rain or every few days... (a squirt of dish soap or dr bronners in a spray bottle)... but for some plants they just don't care if there's soap on them or not and they'll keep on chompin... so i go out in the morning or night (when they are slow) and collect them in a bowl of soapy water or into the our traps(bags)... that's the best way to get rid of them.

i just read that they love pink geranium flowers but the leaves are poisonous to them. so, next year i'll be planting many pink geraniums in our garden.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Dude. They're crazy here, too, in IN. We were walking around our block the other day and there's an area that is sort of wild. I noticed some beetles and pointed them out to SO. Then noticed more...and more...and more... And I am not exaggerating when I say that about every second and third beetle were doing the nasty. Wonderful. I thought about going down there with my bucket o' soap...

·
Registered
173 Posts
They're awful here too. They are devouring all the fruit in my parents' orchard! There are so many I can't get them off the trees in order to get to the fruit. DH and I tried picking them off and dropping them in buckets of soapy water. But even though we caught hundreds, there are still thousands more. It's awful. The grubs are killing their yard, they have huge brown patches. What's worse is, since their yard is 3 acres, to treat with milky spore or nematodes would cost around $10000. That is just nuts.

I read that they haven't really introduced a natural predator yet, that they're still testing for overall environmental impact. I hope they get on the ball, they're really ruining my mom's lovely gardens.

I'll tell my mom about the pink geraniums, too. I thought there was something else they liked but was poisonous... can't remember what.. if I can find it or remember it again I'll come back and post it.

I hate these buggers!

edit: spelling error.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by runningwithlola
I read that they haven't really introduced a natural predator yet, that they're still testing for overall environmental impact. I hope they get on the ball, they're really ruining my mom's lovely gardens.
OMG. I hope they do not introduce YET ANOTHER thing.

·
Registered
184 Posts
buckets of soapy water are terribly satisfying....though can be overwhelming if youhave the numbers some other posters have mentioned! yikes!

in Eat More Dirt by E. Sandbeck she mentions the pink geraniums, however--she is very specific....Geranium maculatum, a wild perennial geranium with tiny pink flowers. other geraniums are attractive to the beetles but they only knock them out for a few hours, not permanently.

s. ogden also mentions in a couple of his books that if you use the traps, they must be "out" of the garden and upwind otherwise you draw them into your garden, as other posters mentioned.

good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.