Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ds is 6days old. they sent us home from the hospital 3days ago with a billi-blanket because his billiruben was slightly up. we transfered to the hospital after a UC because he was breathing a little funny. he had some fluid on this lungs and his O2 was slightly low (the dr. wanted it to be at least 95, but it stuck around 92-94 for a while so they put him on oxygen). all of that was resolved before we left the hospital, though.

i know that jaundice in new borns is really common and nothing to worry about so i haven't been back to the hospital to get another billiruben count (his color has improved GREATLY and we've kept him on the billi-blanket/in for the past 3days and i havent wanted to let them prick his poor little heels again -- he already has 6cuts on one and 4 on the other!). i've also read that it's common for jaundice to cause newborns to be sleepy. ds has been very sleepy for the past few days and i've had to wake him up to nurse. this afternoon, though, it seems to be even harder to wake him. he's eating about every hour-2hrs for 5-10 minutes at a time. i feel like something is off with him, but i really want to wait until tomorrow and make an app. with our ped. (i don't want to get trapped in the hospital ... for the 3rd time this week!) i also feel like it could just be normal and resolve itself soon enough.

basically, i'm just asking for any advice/support/experiences you all might have with jaundice/sleepy babies/O2(?). i feel in my heart that he's fine, but i have this new-mom paranoia. it's so hard when i'm weighing the pros and cons of my decisions ... i don't want to put him (and me!) through going to the hospital/getting heel pricks/generally being disturbed and seperated from me, but i want to make sure that everything's alright.

tia!

·
Registered
499 Posts
hi there
i can't honestly advise you really without seeing babe and you need to weigh up whether babe is ok or something is not right

i've had two jaundice babes and both were very sleepy and i had to wake them to feed then they'd just fall asleep after taking only a little milk....

don't know if that helps, but if you are worried, ring your midwife/dr whoever you need to.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
My son was pretty jaundiced when he was born and the MW said breastmilk was the best thing to flush out the bilirubin...so I resolved to feed him as much bm as possible but, like your baby he was so darn sleepy b/c of the jaundice it was hard to get him to eat more than 2 min at a time. He would latch on then fall asleep almost immediately! I was paranoid he wasn't getting enough milk/colustrum and also that it would mess up my milk coming in...So we went to see a lactation consultant and it was the best thing we did.

The LC advised pumping and syringe feeding to supplement the sessions at the breast. Since sucking is a reflex, he could be practically asleep and we'd give him a pinky finger upside down to suck on and then shoot the milk slowly out of the syringe (alongside our finger) for him to swallow. It worked like a charm and the jaundice was gone in, maybe, two days. Lots of wet diapers and lots of funky greenish poo...

Maybe you could try this? But if you're really worried, it might be worth another heel stick to make sure your baby is okay. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
I forgot to say, plain old sunshine works great for the jaundice too! Can you place your ds in a bassinet (or something similar) and set it inside a sunny window? The more exposed skin the better. And it works fine inside (no sunburns!)

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by josephine_e
ds is 6days old. they sent us home from the hospital 3days ago with a billi-blanket because his billiruben was slightly up. we transfered to the hospital after a UC because he was breathing a little funny. he had some fluid on this lungs and his O2 was slightly low (the dr. wanted it to be at least 95, but it stuck around 92-94 for a while so they put him on oxygen). all of that was resolved before we left the hospital, though.

i know that jaundice in new borns is really common and nothing to worry about so i haven't been back to the hospital to get another billiruben count (his color has improved GREATLY and we've kept him on the billi-blanket/in for the past 3days and i havent wanted to let them prick his poor little heels again -- he already has 6cuts on one and 4 on the other!). i've also read that it's common for jaundice to cause newborns to be sleepy. ds has been very sleepy for the past few days and i've had to wake him up to nurse. this afternoon, though, it seems to be even harder to wake him. he's eating about every hour-2hrs for 5-10 minutes at a time. i feel like something is off with him, but i really want to wait until tomorrow and make an app. with our ped. (i don't want to get trapped in the hospital ... for the 3rd time this week!) i also feel like it could just be normal and resolve itself soon enough.

basically, i'm just asking for any advice/support/experiences you all might have with jaundice/sleepy babies/O2(?). i feel in my heart that he's fine, but i have this new-mom paranoia. it's so hard when i'm weighing the pros and cons of my decisions ... i don't want to put him (and me!) through going to the hospital/getting heel pricks/generally being disturbed and seperated from me, but i want to make sure that everything's alright.

tia!
been there, with two of my children, but we had to stay at the hospital with our two. I know how frustrating it is, you just do not want to worry!
The nurses did tell me to nurse her as much as possible. good luck with your baby, sounds like he is on his way to not being yellow anymore

·
Registered
879 Posts
mine was jaundiced as well. they actually convinced me to give her formula at the hospital because they said it would help get the bilirubin out

we didn't have to stay in the hospital but we did have to prick her little foot on 2 seperate ocassions to check the bilirubin level. my doc said to nurse, nurse, nurse and try to keep as much direct sunlight on her as possible (which was hard during a new york winter). she also suggested water, that that would help speed the process up but we ignored that and just nursed.

it's so worrying but just know that it is quite common ( i didn't know that at the time) and you guys will get through it.

best of luck to you and your baby!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts