Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked in the archives, but couldn't find this.

I am guilty of not getting this fully explained by my dentist, and am now left wondering . . .

Generally, I think I have really good teeth. I didn't get my first cavity til I was almost 30. Then, earlier this year, I had a couple spots on my lower front that needed filling--I think she said it was bc. the gum had receded???, but now I am not so sure. When I asked why and what could I do about it (to prevent further damage), she said that it was probably due to my jaw clenching & that a bite plate (??) would help. My insurance only covers 50% and it is too much $$ for me to cover the rest right now.

First of all, does my story make any sense, or does something sound mixed up?

Second, is a drug-store variety, $30 bite plate a viable alternative, or is custom-made the only way to go?

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I'm not sure about the bite plate to prevent further damage. I have a bite plate because I clench and grind my teeth at night. --but I have the plate not to prevent damage to my teeth (although it may do that) but to keep my TMJ under control.

I would call your dentist and ask for clarification. I don't think it's unreasonable just to call and say "what was that bite plate for again?" and I'd also ask about subbing the drug store one because of the insurance thing.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.