Mothering Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else hear about the nursing mamma being told repeatedly how she'd be more comfortable nursing her 11 month old in the bathroom rather than waiting for her husband in the men's section?<br><br>
anyone want to join in a nurse out?

·
Registered
644 Posts
sounds good!! i can't beleive that they are saying that she misunderstood, they were just letting her know she could go to the bathroom instead, sure didn't sound that way from her side!!!

·
Premium Member
19,789 Posts
While you're at it, send out an email:<br><br><a href="https://www4.jcpenney.com/jcp/frm_customerservice.aspx?VID=&Email=&Referer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww4.jcpenney.com%2Fjcp%2FCustomerService.aspx&Subject=Customer+Service" target="_blank">https://www4.jcpenney.com/jcp/frm_cu...stomer+Service</a><br><br>
Let JCPenney know nursing your baby is not something to be hidden and there are many people out here who will NOT put up with harrassment.<br><br>
(btw the nursing mother AND her mother have posted in Bfeeding activism).

·
Registered
857 Posts
I just called the corporate office and was told that individual store managers make the policy concerning the stores. I said that is interesting considering the state law in New Hampshire. She (Brenda at the corporate office in Texas) 1-972-431-1000 said that she will get back to me in 48 hours. Also, she said that this is the first complain t she heard about this.<br><br>
When you call 1-978-431-1000, ask for Brenda and be respectful. Treat it as a misunderstanding, keep your eyes on resolution, not the ridiculousness of the actions of the employee. Be understanding, but do not condone the ignorance.<br><br>
I did not name a store, because if this is heralded as a problem with one store, then it will be dealt with as such. This is a statewide problem given their own admission of the policy they have of store managers making the individual policies.<br><br>
Ask that a bulletin be sent to all employees in all stores in New Hampshire. This is a serious potential problem in all stores in the state.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I plan to call them, and I also sent them a message through their website:<br><br><span>I enjoy shopping at JC Penney and often bring along my young son, whom I breastfeed. There have been a number of times that I will be out with him and he will need to eat, so I have breastfed him discreetly (though in a public place).<br><br>
I wanted to send you a message to let you know that breastfeeding is a natural and important part of a child's development, and no store should prevent or discourage mothers from doing so.<br><br>
In fact, I will actively seek out places that offer nursing facilities to mothers and go there first for what I need...it may be a benefit to JC Penney to set up a room that has a changing table, rocking chair, and small couch for mothers to use to nurse in privacy. Babies R Us is a perfect example, they have a Mother's Room which I love, as I do not have to fear my son throwing a tantrum and cutting my shopping trip short--I can just stop in, nurse him for a few minutes, change his diaper and then he's happy for the rest of my time in the store.<br><br>
Asking a nursing mother to go to a bathroom is unsanitary, unkind, and discourages nursing in general. Due to the massive health benefits babies receive from breastmilk, it is important to encourage new mothers to breastfeed and it is also important to stress that it is a good thing to the general populace in order to change public opinion. Your chain would do well to pioneer a change in thinking on this topic. Just a suggestion. Thank you for taking the time to read my message and have a good day.</span><br><br>
I think I might take this letter and send it to a whole bunch of chain stores to try and help bring about a change...I know that if all stores had a small "Mothers Room" available I would definitely shop there.<br><br>
Feel free to borrow this if you want to send it along!<br><br>
- Jen

·
Registered
857 Posts
I have mixed feelings about segregated areas. While I understand that putting in these areas is looked at as a service, I cannot help but think it has a different message.<br><br>
A couple years ago, I stood in front of a nursing area at Boston's Museum of Fine Arts, not knowing what I thought about it. I was a little offended that the message might be that I would be expected to use the area; put in a different place under the guise of being family-friendly when the real problem is that others are not comfortable with me. It may be like the nurses in an Ob ward offering drugs because they do not want to hear the normal sounds of labor.<br><br>
Just a thought.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Would you rather there just be a bench where you can sit in the middle of a throng of people to try and settle your fussy child, and the only difference between this bench and the bench in another store is that you won't be hassled to use it?<br><br>
While I understand your point, at the same time I think that a merchant offering a private place where we can take care of baby business is a nice concession. It also sends the message "We support mothers" to everyone who sees it, because in the world of business that 7 x 10 room represents retail space that isn't being used to make money.<br><br>
Think of it as segregation if you want, but I certainly don't think so. Sure, I could nurse in public in a crowd of people or try to change my child on one of those nasty pull-down changing stations (that never have bed liners) in front of a drafty bathroom door, but if there's a room available? You'll bet I'll head for it.<br><br>
I don't take it as being brushed off at all, I take it as being ushered into a quiet, private place to tend to my child's needs and I sincerely appreciate it. In fact I always make a point to tell stores that offer Mothers' Rooms that I shopped with them due to their choice to have one.<br><br>
- Jen

·
Registered
857 Posts
<div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">
<div>Originally Posted by <strong>mainegirl</strong></div>
<div style="font-style:italic;">Would you rather there just be a bench where you can sit in the middle of a throng of people to try and settle your fussy child, and the only difference between this bench and the bench in another store is that you won't be hassled to use it?</div>
</td>
</tr></table></div>
I shouldn't be hassled to use any bench, nor should I be directed to another area. Everyone knows there are bathrooms. Everyone knows there are benches, and everyone knows there are other stores.<br><br>
Being "hassled" at all is an issue with me. In my discussion with the regional manager of JC Penney, she said she will continue to allow her employees to ask customers if they would not be comfortable somewhere else. Being "ushered" as you call it is a problem.<br><br>
Children's bathrooms and changing rooms are another matter, completely different from breastfeeding.<br><br>
Look at this funny Australian breastfeeding ad.<br><a href="http://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/media/rose5.mpg" target="_blank">http://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/media/rose5.mpg</a>

·
Registered
863 Posts
I don't think we should be hassled at all, either. I do agree that asking someone if they would be comfortable elsewhere is inappropriate.<br><br>
However, I don't get offended by the very existence of Mothers Rooms. I guess I could, but I just want to feed my child and appreciate the space.<br><br>
If there is no room available I breastfeed wherever, and I get a lot of questions and curious looks. I haven't had a negative experience yet, though I've had a few that have bordered on negative until we spoke and they realized I wasn't going to bite their heads off. There are people who are uncomfortable with public breastfeeding, and I respect that even if I don't agree. It's certainly not going to stop me from doing it, but I also know that things like breastmilk make some people nervous with it being a bodily fluid and all (I know how misdirected that is, but that's how some people see it). I can't discount someone else's opinion just because it isn't mine.<br><br>
- Jen

·
Registered
863 Posts
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">
<div>Originally Posted by <strong>paloma</strong></div>
<div style="font-style:italic;">Being "ushered" as you call it is a problem</div>
</td>
</tr></table></div>
And I meant "ushered" as in me saying, "I need to sit down" and having what I need supplied for me, not me being pushed into something to closet me away from public view. I didn't mean this with a negative connotation.<br><br>
- Jen

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
I agree that it would be nice if a Mother's Room was in place as a public service to women and their babies. Unfortunately, it's many stores' way of hiding nursing from other customers and employees who don't want to have to "look at it".

·
Registered
863 Posts
<div>Originally Posted by <strong>candiland</strong></div>
<div style="font-style:italic;">I agree that it would be nice if a Mother's Room was in place as a public service to women and their babies. Unfortunately, it's many stores' way of hiding nursing from other customers and employees who don't want to have to "look at it".</div>
</td>
</tr></table></div>
It does totally suck that public perception of breastfeeding is so negative, while pop stars can show off their boobs on the covers of magazines.<br><br>
I try to breastfeed in public a lot if only to make it a more common occurence. I think that the more people see it, the more they'll come to accept it. And hopefully a mom will see it and think "She's doing it, I guess I can too!"<br><br>
- Jen

1 - 13 of 13 Posts