Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anyone catch Jimmy's interview with Terri on fresh air today?? The man has it going on!! He will also be on larry king tonight.
Exerpts from his book:

Quote:
A strong majority of both Democrats and Republicans agree that our country is more politically divided than at any time in living memory, a fact that is partially explained by the doubtful presidential election of 2000 and the almost unchanging split during the following years between "red" and "blue" states. Partisan differences of support and disapproval of our two most recent presidents are quite clear, with the personal popularity of President Bush among Democrats lower than was President Clinton's among Republicans while his impeachment proceedings were under way. The ongoing Iraqi war is especially indicative, with diametrically opposite opinions on whether the conflict is going well or has improved national security.

Quote:
A majority of Americans think that abortions should be legal in all or most cases, and only one in six believes that all abortions should be illegal. The fervor and activism of this small minority greatly magnify their influence, especially within the U.S. Congress.

Quote:
A disturbing change in government policy has involved the firearms industry. Supported by succeeding Presidents Reagan, Bush, and Clinton, legislation was passed by Congress in 1994 that for ten years prohibited the manufacture, transfer, and possession of nineteen specific semiautomatic assault weapons, including AK-47s, AR-15s, and UZIs. None of these are used for hunting -- only for killing other humans. More than eleven hundred police chiefs and sheriffs from around the nation called on Congress and President Bush to renew and strengthen the federal assault weapons ban in 2004, but with a wink from the White House, the gun lobby prevailed and the ban expired.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=4984885

You can also find a link to the interview on this page!

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Caught it for 10 minutes on my lunch hour picking up ds from Montessorri pschool and bringing him home - totally agree, from what little I heard. thanks for the link.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I saw him on GMA or some morning show. I :heart Jimmy Carter. He may not have been a strong president, but he did what he thought was right and just, for the most part. And his life since then has been quite a contrast to other expresidents.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
my man Jimmy!
I pulled into Borders & bought it while the interview was playing, & I have to say it is exciting to have a book this HOT off the presses! The only critique I have is that the book (which I am not done with) has no sources listed for all the opionions held by Americans in the 1st chapter.

But I would like to say this, from a non-Christian: if more of the Christians I have met in my life were like Jimmy Carter, I would probably be one! What a powerful thing to stand in such a principled way & witness your faith!

I am seriously thinking of giving this as a holiday gift to everyone. His voice is so important!
~Maria

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Thanks for posting that link.

I want to weep for what our country has lost.

Anyone here honestly want to criticize Jimmy Carter's morals? Or his true and honest devotion to God and his religion? And even he can see the problem in marrying religion to politics. And the partisanship that now divides our country. And its so sad.

I grew up during his presidency. I remember how angry people were at him. And he wasn't a great president. But he was president at a very difficult time. But never have I doubted his morals, his commitment, his beliefs.

If the religious want a religious president so badly, why don't they pick an honestly devout politician in the mold of Jimmy Carter? Instead of the neo-cons who are just using them for their votes?

The U.S. has taken a sad sad turn. We are turning our backs on our Constitution, our Bill of Rights.

This book just hit #1 on my Christmas list.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SpiralWoman
:

But I would like to say this, from a non-Christian: if more of the Christians I have met in my life were like Jimmy Carter, I would probably be one! What a powerful thing to stand in such a principled way & witness your faith!
thanks Maria for saying this.

I really have enjoyed Carter's past books and learning about him. I wanted to go to grad school at Emory in order to hear him speak or take one of his classes, but that didn't happen.

I also wanted to name a child Carter but our last name is Nixon
can you imagine having the name Carter Nixon ???

I will definitely get the book
thanks for the links too.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by fromscatteredtribe

I also wanted to name a child Carter but our last name is Nixon
can you imagine having the name Carter Nixon ???

I don't know, I might have to do it if I were you. That's hilarious!

·
Premium Member
42,757 Posts
I sobbed when he lost to Reagan.

Ok...I was FIVE but well...if faced with the same thing today I would probably still cry. *L (no i didn't cry when Kerry lost...a schmuck lost to a schmuck..Carter is a great and good man.
)

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Jimmy Carter also said

Quote:
"I never have felt that any abortion should be committed -- I think each abortion is the result of a series of errors," he told reporters over breakfast at the Ritz-CarltonHotel

Quote:
"These things impact other issues on which [Mr. Bush] and I basically agree," the Georgia Democrat said. "I've never been convinced, if you let me inject my Christianity into it, that Jesus Christ would approve abortion."
http://www.washtimes.com/national/20...1740-7148r.htm

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
That's right, he did. You might be interested to know that there are a number of prominent Democrats who are personally opposed to abortion but who, like Carter, nonetheless believe that they have a responsibility to uphold the laws of our country. Like John Kerry, for example.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.