Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there!

I'm new to the board, this is my first post
I'm 27 weeks pregnant with my first, I'm a slightly crunchy knitter who plans to cloth diaper
I cloth diapered as a nanny years ago and LOVED it (even though all I had then was prefolds, rubber pants and pins.. and one soaker
) So it was a no-brainer to choose cloth.. and of course, now that I'm pregnant and have discovered the whole new world of dipes out there, I'm slightly obsessed

Anyways, I do actually have a question!

I will be knitting a bunch of soakers (and trying my hand at dying!) before the baby is born.

I was at Jo-annes the other day looking at my wool choices. I saw the fishermans and I'm not a fan of it - too scratchy to me, I want something REALLY soft as I'm fairly sensitive to the itchyness of wool and I can't get used to the idea of putting it on my little one even if it doesn't ever bother *her*

I came across Jo-anne's Sensations "Tesoro" wool. I can hardly even believe it's wool at all though!!! It says 100% wool, but it doesn't feel like wool at ALL, not even a little - it's SOFT like no wool has any business being LOL!

http://www.joann.com/catalog.jhtml?C...&PRODID=123105

I'm slightly apprehensive about it. On the website, some reviews say it doesn't felt at all - and another says it takes dye really great. I don't need it to felt at all, but that makes me worry about whether it's REALLY wool?? I know that sounds weird, I mean it says 100% wool. But will it perform like wool as a diaper cover?? Are there certain kinds of wool that are perfectly fine, they just don't felt? (I thought all wool felted!)

It's a little pricier than other wool, so I'm scared of buying a bunch and making soakers that won't end up working well... but if others have used it and it works fine, than I would rather make more BEFORE the baby comes than try to do it afterward. kwim?

So, has anyone used it before??

Also, my "backups" if that yarn is a bust is Patons Merino or Bernat Lana... Can anyone tell me which one is softer? I have no access to Bernat Lana in a store to feel it before I buy it, but I could order it online.

Does anyone know of any other yarn that's softer than Patons Merino but around the same price (I can get Patons for 4-5.99 for 100 grms of worsted weight)

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I haven't tried the Tesoro because it's too expensive for me, personally. I have pet it while there, though. I wonder if it's too fuzzy for a soaker? Probably not, but I can just see crustly little poops in the fluff.... I'm a cynic, though.

I have used the Paton's Merino & the Fisherman's Wool & they're not bad when they're knitted up. Particularly after you lanolinize them - they do soften up some.

I'd say to check out knitpicks.com for some inexpensive merino.

Hopefully someone else has some ideas.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Ok, on the patons/bernat question, I find that the Patons is much softer, but it is also a lighter weight. The bernat seems like it would stand up to more... but if the soakers are for a newborn, it would probably work out great.

I think that the reason the Tersoro doesn't felt is because it is superwashed (or some form of it), so it is chemically treated and stripped of all the natural lanolin. I could be totally off here, but just an idea.

I would go to www.knitpicks.com as well, I love their undyed Wool of the Andes, and it is 2.79 for a 220yd skein.

Or if you can get in on a peace fleece ( www.peacefleece.com ) co-op their skeins are $4.50 each and I just love how it holds up to heavy wetters. It starts out a little scratchy, but after a couple washes, it blooms and softens beautifully.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
If you're going to go for more expensive wool, I would get something like Blue-face Leicester (Wooly Wonders by Nada or something from Mosaic Moon, Bungalow Buns, Dashing Dachs, etc. These WAHM stores carry yarn that's specifically selected for soakers, like merino, Treliske, Targhee, etc.

I have also heard good things about Cascade 220, or Cascade Eco, if you want something that's a little less expensive than the hadn-painteds. There are TONS of good yarns available on-line. Check the sticky at the top of this forum. Also, there is a yahoo soaker knitting group or the forums at Wooly Wonder where you can get mroe info about what yarns people like and why.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
No - I believe the Tesoro is NOT superwash & could technically be used for a soaker & felting....

I just double checked & it's NOT the yarn I was thinking of. The one I was thinking of was more fuzzy.

BUT - I think you'd be better off using something else, unless you have the $ to spend... Maybe a NB soaker? I'm cheap, though....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.