Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How dumb would that be? I was just contacted by a former colleague about a position that would be a nice step up for me, better benefits, pay, title, shorter commute, I really have only two concerns. 1. I've been at my current job 7 months (but was at my previous one 6 years, if that matters) 2. We are TTC #2, well, NOW. Just as of this month.

How dumb would it be to change jobs knowing that? In regards to #1, I can't say I have much concern, my current employer really lowballed me coming in knowing they could based on their extremely prestigious name, but I have questioned my decision EVERY DAY. (And every day I tell myself to just suck it up until after we have #2!!) OTOH #2 may never happen, or may not happen for a long time. We got very lucky with #1, he was born almost exactly 9 months after we decided to TTC, but lightning doesn't strike twice, right?

·
Registered
7,085 Posts
i say don't put your life on hold while ttc'ing. it sounds like you aren't happy with this job. once you have an offer in hand and a bun in the oven, you can decide from a position of strength.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
Oh my goodness... I'd TOTALLY take it.

Putting your life on hold while TTC is just asking to be made totally crazy by it. Plus, there's nothing wrong when job hunting even while pregnant... it's a bit harder, but a company that is interested in you long-term will overlook your belly (says the lady who got hired for her first career position at 24 weeks!)

The only thing to be concerned about is FMLA eligibility for maternity leave... and if you're just TTC as of right now you have a good chance of being eligible by the time your babe is born, and if not you'd have a decent chance of getting your job to work with you as well.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, what if I said my current employer is a name you'd all recognize, THE big kahuna in my field, me getting my current job got my uncle, for crying out loud, who has never emailed me, to email me and tell me how proud he was... and potential employer is a no name.

I've been asking everyone I know as well for their opinion--well, mostly about leaving big kahuna for no name. Haven't really mentioned the baby thing! It's actually pretty cool because I'm finding out all sorts of people know people at no name, and most of the feedback has been positive (the exception is from my former boss, who brought up the point that it would prob be easier to deal with maternity leave/new baby if I wasn't director of a one person department. He may have a point there! Did I mention it will be a one-person department for at least a year?

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
You know, working for a big name company is cool for a while. But there's a point where you have to accept that if you're not happy, YOU'RE NOT HAPPY. I work for a pretty big name company and people are always impressed when they hear what I do, but the fact of the matter is that it's NOT the perfect place for me. It's scary to think about leaving, but I know that it's what I've have to do. And think about what a great networking tool that is!

As far as TTC, I would honestly change jobs sooner rather than later. If you're JUST starting to TTC now, you could have a year before you deliver. That gives plenty of time to arrange for your absence. You also have several months to prove yourself at your job before you're known as "the pregnant chick".

I say go for it!

And btw, I'm DYING to know who you're currently working for!

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Belleweather View Post
Oh my goodness... I'd TOTALLY take it.

Putting your life on hold while TTC is just asking to be made totally crazy by it. Plus, there's nothing wrong when job hunting even while pregnant... it's a bit harder, but a company that is interested in you long-term will overlook your belly (says the lady who got hired for her first career position at 24 weeks!)

The only thing to be concerned about is FMLA eligibility for maternity leave... and if you're just TTC as of right now you have a good chance of being eligible by the time your babe is born, and if not you'd have a decent chance of getting your job to work with you as well.
: Don't count your chickens before they hatch--or your babes either.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Qestia View Post
Okay, what if I said my current employer is a name you'd all recognize, THE big kahuna in my field, me getting my current job got my uncle, for crying out loud, who has never emailed me, to email me and tell me how proud he was... and potential employer is a no name.

I've been asking everyone I know as well for their opinion--well, mostly about leaving big kahuna for no name. Haven't really mentioned the baby thing! It's actually pretty cool because I'm finding out all sorts of people know people at no name, and most of the feedback has been positive (the exception is from my former boss, who brought up the point that it would prob be easier to deal with maternity leave/new baby if I wasn't director of a one person department. He may have a point there! Did I mention it will be a one-person department for at least a year?
OTOH they may be more accomodating b/c you're the only one working in the dept. and they want to keep you happy! Big names aren't always the right place to be. I say take this job.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
I say take it... I was in a similar situation (except not TTC). I worked for a big Kahuna place, and hated it. I now work at a nonprofit and love it.

Don't put your life on hold while TTC. I say go for it-you'll be kicking yourself later if you don't take it.

·
Registered
7,085 Posts
i too have been lured by the big name, so i understand your dilemma. but if you are not happy there, it is not good enough for you. i had to repeat that like a mantra for a while there....

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I appreciate everyone's input, I've also asked my colleagues (not at my current job) IRL and they say the same as you guys, so I'm going to go in for an interview next week. We'll see how it goes! I'll keep you posted--thanks for all the support.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Qestia View Post
I appreciate everyone's input, I've also asked my colleagues (not at my current job) IRL and they say the same as you guys, so I'm going to go in for an interview next week. We'll see how it goes! I'll keep you posted--thanks for all the support.

Good Luck!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.