Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughters are 8 and 5 and we plan to have them attend our homebirth. They are both excited to be there, although my oldest alternates between extreme excitement and anxiety. She is a high energy kiddo, while also being very empathetic and emotional.

We have been doing a lot of birth preparation and feel like that is going well. I would like to get some ideas, however, on activities or jobs for siblings at birth. Is anyone out there with some good ideas? I think having some concrete work to focus on would help my oldest channel her energy in a positive way.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a 3 and 6 year old and plan for them to help bake a cake for the baby's birthday :)
I haven't decided what else yet. But I know friends who have done decorated onesies, paintings for the baby's room etc.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I wonder if your eldest can take pictures of what is going on around the house while you labor? Or maybe knit something or make some artwork for the baby?

·
Registered
981 Posts
I'm going to have my 7 year old in charge of cool/frozen washcloths for mama. Haven't thought of other tasks yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: applejuice

·
Registered
148 Posts
While I was a hospital birth, both of my brothers were born at home and I was present for both births. I remember the second birth (I was only 2 at the first). It was very quick and I remember being a bit frightened - not about the birth, but about how loud my mother was (I'd never heard her make those sounds). But one thing I remember doing while waiting for my brother to be born was filling out his baby book. As a new reader and writer (I had just learned both a couple months before), I took it upon myself to fill out all of the sections of his memento book like, where he was born, who his family was, what things were like in the world at that time. Doing this was very calming for me (age 7) and made me feel like I was doing an important job, while my mother did her important job. Perhaps you could have your children in make a scrapbook for their new sibling? Things like newspaper clippings from that day, magazine pictures, little messages and drawings to baby from their family, and pictures of their family, home, and neighbourhood might be a nice touch. It could be a fun art project and a meaningful gift for baby to look over years down the road.

·
Registered
981 Posts
@shoeg8rl, what a nice idea & a lovely memory! I think we'll try something like that with my son! Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts