Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I could write pages, but I think I'll pass.
:

Its 1 am and I am exhausted but I cant sleep. I can't sleep, when all I want in the world is sleep.

I want sleep the way a drowning person wants air.

It is hard at moments like these, because it all seems so hopeless. Like there isn't a solution. I *know* that is the tiredness talking, the depression, but it feels real.

I'm scared about where my mind is heading. Sleep deprivation has been much of the problem, and now I am to the point where mt body doesn't know how to turn itself off. Husband and baby are sleeping. I'm not.

I've been depressed before, know it intimately, but not as a MOM. I can't afford depression. My baby girl needs me. I can't let her down. I love her beyond anything in this world.

Okay, enough. I just needed to get this out. Its 1:15 am and I feel alone and have no one to talk to. Thanks for "listening"

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I understand that feeling of needing to sleep but not being able to. For me I just need lots of time to wind down -- time to myself. I think it's an epidemic among moms, carving out hours at the end of the day and taking away from sleep just because we need some freakin' time to ourselves! Getting more time to yourself would probably be the best remedy, so hopefully you can find a way to do more of that.

Have you tried anything to help you sleep? I have insomnia every month for a few days prior to getting my period. I tend to try to go with it for a day or two, but then I get frantic and take valerian to help me. I also switched my vitamins and meds around to where I take B vitamins and my anti-depressant in the morning. If I have them at night I have trouble sleeping. Before bed I take calcium. Forte Calms is a good homeopathic remedy to help you sleep, and of course there is the warm milk or turkey before bed to help you feel sleepier. Reading something dull might help, too.

I'm sorry you are having a hard time. Hope things get better soon.

Warmly,
Carol

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Dechen,

Are you on any medication now? Before I started on Zoloft; I was a zombie from lack of sleep. Valerian helped slightly for awhile.

I felt as if I was dying. I was actually afraid to fall asleep bercause of the overwhelming fear I always woke up with.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I can totally relate! For the first several months after DS was born, I was a walking zombie. I was in slow motion all the time and I just felt terrible. I didn't realize, until DS started sleeping more regularly, how completely sleep deprived I was!! I was so tired I didn't even know I was tired all the time!!

I agree with the above mama who said that women need more time to themselves. I find that if I can spare a few moments during the day for myself--a bath, a chapter in a book, a talk on the phone to a girlfriend, etc.--I much more able to get myself to sleep at night. Anyway you could find more time for you?? Do you think that would help??
Hang in there!

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For all your replies. I saw my GP today and got an Rx for ambien, "just in case." I'd rather not take sleeping meds - I never have and so I'm not 100% comfie with the idea - but if I get strung out again I will.

I managed to take a nap today, which helped immensely. Here's hoping I don't get so bad again, and that exercise and sunlight can beat back my depression.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
I was concerned as soon as I saw that your doctor prescribed this drug. This is a sedative/hypnotic. I went to look up more info and found this:

(from www.ambien.com)
WARNINGS

Since sleep disturbances may be the presenting manifestation of a physical and/or psychiatric disorder, symptomatic treatment of insomnia should be initiated only after a careful evaluation of the patient. The failure of insomnia to remit after 7 to 10 days of treatment may indicate the presence of a primary psychiatric and/or medical illness which should be evaluated. Worsening of insomnia or the emergence of new thinking or behavior abnormalities may be the consequence of an unrecognized psychiatric or physical disorder...

A variety of abnormal thinking and behavior changes have been reported to occur in association with the use of sedative/ hypnotics. Some of these changes may be characterized by decreased inhibition (eg, aggressiveness and extroversion that seemed out of character), similar to effects produced by alcohol and other CNS (Central Nervous System) depressants. Other reported behavioral changes have included bizarre behavior, agitation, hallucinations, and depersonalization... In primarily depressed patients, worsening of depression, including suicidal thinking, has been reported in association with the use of sedative/hypnotics.

and this...

Nursing mothers: Studies in lactating mothers indicate that the half-life of zolpidem is similar to that in young normal volunteers (2.6±0.3 hr). Between 0.004 and 0.019% of the total administered dose is excreted into milk, but the effect of zolpidem on the infant is unknown.

In addition, in a rat study, zolpidem inhibited the secretion of milk. The no-effect dose was 4 mg base/kg or 6 times the recommended human dose in mg/m2.

The use of Ambien in nursing mothers is not recommended.

Did your doctor mention that you would need someone else to take care of your babe at night (or whenever you take this drug)? You definitely can not cosleep.

Did your doc do an evaluation for depression/anxiety? Did he consider meds for depression? Personally;I was very surprised to find out that my symptoms were depression. I thought depressed people slept all the time. I have since read up on it and realized that I have had symptoms for years prior.

One more question. Have you taken an antidepressant in the past that worked for you?

**BTW, have you checked out this assessment test?

http://www.pndsa.co.za/ms-fc.htm

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Wow, that is pretty scary info about ambien! If it were me I'd opt for trying something like a valerian/hops combo, or a glass or two of wine, before trying that.

Also wanted to add that you should not co-sleep with a baby while taking any sleep-inducing herbs or medications. I don't know how old your child is -- I take valerian and co-sleep with my 3 year old, but would not do it with a baby or young toddler.

Carol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.