Mothering Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there ladies,

there are lots of reasons this pregnancy wasn't expected (no PPAF, no EWCM, just finished cancer treatments).

I peed on a stick today, and am going to find out the results of my blood test tomorrow. How should I tell DH?

We already have 2 small children (DD is 2.5, and DS is 8mos)...I'm feeling overwhelmed, and nervous about telling DH.

...the only reason I tested was to confirm I wasn't pregnant so that I could take a final test showing the cancer is gone...

anyway, it's going to take a little while to sink in, but how can I gently break this to DH?

...not sure of the due date, because no PPAF...will find out soon!

TIA,
charlene

·
Registered
8,118 Posts
Congrats! I have a 2 yo and 9 month old (and six other kids too, LOL). I don't know how to tell the dh. I'm not very good at it, LOL. I've done emails, over the phone, at a restaurant, at home, in the car....Well, it's always kind of alot for him to absorb. I'm sure he knows how it happens by now, LOL.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Mama

I am not sure what route you want to take but I told my STBDH by telling him I think he needs to go get a HPT and that is how I told him
I knew for about a week or a little less than a week!

ETA: I
: the cancer is gone Mama!

·
Registered
8,738 Posts
I saw your post on the ttc forum and was wondering when you'd be here! Congrats and
: the cancer is gone.

My friend poas at my house and made her DH a trifold card. The outside said "I love you....", the inside (back of the front) said "husband of mine and....", the next flap (still not all the way opened) said, "father of my....." and then when you opened it the test was taped to the center and next to it it said, "3 beautiful children!"

Maybe something like that?

·
Registered
442 Posts
how do you think he'll take it?

This is a surprize for us and I knew dh wasnt going to take it well so I waited until a quiet morning and just told him. Any 'cutsie' things werent going to be taken well so I avoided them.

:fingers that it turns out how you want it to and that the cancer is G-O-N-E!!!

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
I just have to ask, is there any possibility that any of your cancer drugs could cause a false positive?

I'd go for the shortest, fastest route possible, personally.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi there,

I had blood drawn yesterday, and my midwife will call me today when she hears the results. I'm waiting to hear from her (confirming the pregnancy) before telling DH.

My cancer (Hodgkins lymphoma) and the cancer drugs/radiation did not have any effect on my reproductive system....*OBVIOUSLY*

ya, I don't think he's going to be thrilled, that's why I'm not looking forward to it.

I was thinking of setting a pair of baby booties outside the door with a little note saying, "our home is about to grow by two feet"...he'll see that when coming home from work. Then I'll hand him a card, and tell him right away.

how does that sound?
TIA,
charlene

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by geo_girl View Post
Hi there,

I was thinking of setting a pair of baby booties outside the door with a little note saying, "our home is about to grow by two feet"...he'll see that when coming home from work. Then I'll hand him a card, and tell him right away.

how does that sound?
TIA,
charlene
First off, congratulations!

Secondly, I think that idea sounds adorable.

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
The reason I asked about your drugs is because I had a friend who'd been struggling with infertility for years get a false positive on a home test as a result of a medicine she'd been taking: I think it was a diuretic. That's all, no snark, no judgement.

Sorry, I forgot to say congratulations
:
:

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by flapjack View Post
The reason I asked about your drugs is because I had a friend who'd been struggling with infertility for years get a false positive on a home test as a result of a medicine she'd been taking: I think it was a diuretic. That's all, no snark, no judgement.

Sorry, I forgot to say congratulations
:
:
No snark taken!

I just got a call from the midwife, and yes, I *AM* pregnant!

I think I'm happy, but also nervous, and scared.

I have also called the cancer agency to discuss postponing/changing the test, as well as what/if anything I can do to mitigate the effects of chemo & radiation. I can already tell you that we are going to be doing all of the ultrasounds, and all of the available tests.

thank you for your best wishes and support!
charlene

·
Registered
394 Posts
((charlene))
and CONGRATULATIONS!!

Ours was quite unexpected as well. I just held up the test stip and waited for it to register with him. I wanted to do something cutsey, but I knew he'd not be super-thrilled so I just told him. He's warmed up to the idea (we've known for a week now).
I think your "two feet" idea is adorable!

Good luck! and remember that if he doesn't take the news well now, he will warm up to it. (((hugs)))

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
sounds like it's been quite a year for you. I sure hope the cancer is behind you.

What an unexpected surprise! You must have been pretty shocked to see that

Ours was quite unplanned and I knew dh would not be happy. We both are not into cutesy. I just blurted it out as soon as we were alone, and he said nothing except "I don't know what to say". He's speaking to me again, we had one brief conversation about it, and nothing else since.

But, if it's meant to be, it's meant to be. I'm looking at it as an unexpected blessing

I wish you the best!

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi there ladies,

I wanted to let you know that it went OK with DH. I left the booties and card for him to find when he came in from work so he could process the information on his own for a moment.

...we were both pretty quiet about the news over dinner, and then there was the put-the-kids-to-bed rush...

there are some very significant financial implications for us - new vehicle, and eventually a new house (we have a 2 bed, 1 bath house)....did some surfing on the internet, and felt a bit overwhelmed...not to mention the fact that I'm not going to get a final all clear from the cancer until baby is born.

but, I'm trying to focus on this as an unexpected blessing. I trust that God knows what is going on, and I rely on His grace and faithfulness.

I told my sister and parents because I need their support, but not sure when we will tell other ppl.

...and this morning I'm going for an early ultrasound to get an idea of the due date.

...I'm nervous about the idea of having 3 kids under the age of four!

charlene

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
I am happy he took it well. He took it better than my STBDH he went white at a ghost went and had a smoke (he finally quit as of a week ago the smell was makeing me sick!) when he came back in the house he hugged me and I cried (those dang hormones!) but he has been wonderful since that moment I just walked in the room holding the stick shakeing my head and said it says I am!
that is cutesy eh?

I am really happy for you Mama also if I am out of bounds here I am sorry. But why do you have to wait for the birth to see if the cancer is all gone? is it Xrays?? My grandfather had lymphnoma and I thought it went by blood work? But that could have been his other disease he cought in WWII. Still
: for you

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by geo_girl View Post
but, I'm trying to focus on this as an unexpected blessing. I trust that God knows what is going on, and I rely on His grace and faithfulness.
you have an amazing faith and are an inspiration. God wont give you more than you can handle and he doesnt make mistakes. he knows the plan he has for your family. what a blessing to be due in december. congrats!!!
:

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thank you ladies for all of your support, suggestions & hope.

we are slowly getting used to the idea of being a family of five, and adjusting to the changes that it will mean for us.

I found out yesterday, that my due date is 01/01/2010....kinda neat. my babies have both come a little later than the due date, but it will make for a fun way to tell family & friends, "hey, what are YOU planning for new years eve"

So, I guess I'm off to the January DDC, but I truly appreciate all of the input that you provided,

sincerely,
charlene

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.