Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Specifically, those that are called "troll forums".

I'm sure by now most of us have read somewhere on MDC about a certain forum that is said to be geared towards "trolls".

This particular forum (the one that I know about) is, I believe, a spin off of MDC. It has quite a few joint members, some of which copy and paste discussions from MDC to the other forum. It is not a forum specifically for people to copy and paste stuff for, rather there are just some posters who choose to do that. Not every poster does, nor does that appear to be the main idea behind that forum (it might have started out that way, years ago, but I believe it's expanded past that now).

There are at least 2 members of this private forum that are also members of the other forum. SSM is a member of the other forum, but as she stated, she will not be using anything from this private forum over there. Earlier this week I did create a membership over on the other forum so that I could peek around and make sure there was nothing being copy/pasted from here. So far, I have not found anything.

SSM and I have done our best to only admit people to this forum that we trust have good intentions. Obviously we cannot guarantee 100% that there isn't anybody in here with bad intentions, but we do the best we can.

Both SSM and I will be checking on the "troll" site to ensure there is nothing being copy/pasted from this private forum. If we ever discover that this is happening, that person's membership to the private lounge will be revoked immediately, no questions asked.

This thread will be a place to discuss members feelings on this. We want to hear your (honest) opinions!

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
I have an account there as well, as I mentioned in another thread. Out of curiousity... I had considered hanging out as they did seem more laid back on some of the extreme parenting things that aren't really for me (never ever crossed my mind to become a troll or copy/past things... ick!)... but then I found out I was one of the people that had been trashed, and there were several recent threads in regards to what a crazy bitch I am... nice.

Needless to say, I will not be staying there. :p

·
Registered
773 Posts
I can't really comment, since I don't know where "there" is in this instance (would love to know if anyone wants to PM me).

And it's not all that a big concern for me personally since I figure everything I put on Internet could potentially "go public" even if it starts in a private, password-protected forum or the like.

Also, even if "troll forum 1" is identified, found and monitored and the people "breaking the rules here by posting there" are ejected, that is no guarantee that there isn't another forum somewhere--or even several forums--doing the same thing that we don't know about.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ione View Post

Also, even if "troll forum 1" is identified, found and monitored and the people "breaking the rules here by posting there" are ejected, that is no guarantee that there isn't another forum somewhere--or even several forums--doing the same thing that we don't know about.
Yeah, I love this forum, but I'm not going to police the internet (besides keeping an eye out on the other forum that I belong to) making sure that we aren't being C&P'd elsewhere. There is no way we can completely guarantee that people aren't gaining access to post elsewhere - however Steph and I are pretty careful about who we allow into the forum, and have not admitted everyone who has asked.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ione View Post
And it's not all that a big concern for me personally since I figure everything I put on Internet could potentially "go public" even if it starts in a private, password-protected forum or the like.

This.

(though I think I know what forum is being referred to and used to have a membership there.... but when life turned upside down for me, I couldn't keep up with posting requirements and was booted out automatically)

Bottom line though is that even in a private forum like this, anything we put on the web is a potential problem.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I saw the other thread and made an account to see what all the fuss is about. I certainly won't be copying anything from MDC. It's rather unlikely I'll post at all over there.

·
Registered
774 Posts
it's called trolls with wooden spoons. It's pretty easy to find and it was actually mentioned in the big thread in TAO,so hopefully it's not going to get me some sort of time out for saying the name of it here. lalaland42 seems to be one the ring leaders over there as mod. Can I say her name there? You can guess who she is easily enough,especially if you like cartoons. Glendora is the head troll over there. Anyone know her here?

·
Registered
530 Posts
Yeah, you can't expect everything on the internet to stay super-secret-private, but it would be a huge breach of trust to snark on one of the private forum threads. This subforum was created specifically to provide a safe, un-googleable haven for single moms. Seeking to become a member here and then copy and pasting threads elsewhere would be acting in bad faith.

For transparency's sake, I joined the other forum as well. It's fun in a loose sort of way -- most of what goes on over there would never fly on MDC. But private threads need to remain where they are.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamitaM View Post

it's called trolls with wooden spoons. It's pretty easy to find and it was actually mentioned in the big thread in TAO,so hopefully it's not going to get me some sort of time out for saying the name of it here.
LOL! No, we may still be on MDC, but there are no time-outs, unless something pretty effing big happens. Don't worry.

I'm not really sure that we want to make this into a gossip forum though - lets stick to supporting our fellow single mamas, and former single mamas.

·
Premium Member
8,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulCakes View Post

Yeah, you can't expect everything on the internet to stay super-secret-private, but it would be a huge breach of trust to snark on one of the private forum threads. This subforum was created specifically to provide a safe, un-googleable haven for single moms. Seeking to become a member here and then copy and pasting threads elsewhere would be acting in bad faith.\
Everybody who is in this private forum has agreed to the following....

"Due to the importance of participants' privacy, we, as a group, have decided to make confidentiality a priority. By applying for admittance to this forum, you agree to strictly uphold confidentiality of posts. You acknowledge that you are not joining the forum for any other purpose than to discuss the challenges and joys of single parenting and that you will not post in a derogatory manner towards other members."

Anybody who breaks this will be removed from the private forum immediately.

There have been members of MDC who have applied for admission and were denied. This happens for various reasons, one of which is if SSM or I have any doubts, no matter how small, that they might not have good intentions.

·
Registered
774 Posts
No,but really where are we supposed to talk about our feelings about being bashed? Also maybe someone should tell them to LAY THE FUCK OFF A SINGLE MAMA ON THE VERGE OF PPD ALL READY!!! Seriously they need to stop calling me crazy and ask me if I need some help.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Thanks josybear. I'm ok,but feeling a bit disconnected from some friends over the past couple of weeks,but I'm seeing one of my good friends tomorrow so that will help. Now with this crap that's going on in that troll site it's hard to hear and is bringing stuff up and making me think that maybe I am crazy or that somethings wrong with me. It's the not the first time I've had this problem with cyber bullies. It's the 3rd time in the last 18 months actually. It happened twice before that about 6 years ago. It just sucks and I don't know why some women,mothers have to take part in that high school crap.

·
Premium Member
8,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm going to step in here and briefly put on my leader hat to ask everyone to take a deep breathe. I understand that emotions are running high right now. I really do.

MamitaM- I encourage you to start a thread (in this private forum, if you would like to) to vent about any difficulties you are having. This is a support forum, so you should find plenty of that here. This particular thread is to discuss members feelings on joint memberships and to address any concerns members have about that so I don't want to de-rail it too far.

I really, really encourage you to delete your account on twws and just don't look over there any more. If you don't see it, it can't hurt you. You know?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.