Mothering Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I brought my daughter to a doc the other week (allergist, to check on her dairy intolerance), and when he was taking the history he asked if I'm working or home with the kids. I said I'm home, and he said, "Oh, so you have joy every day," which I think is a saying he translated from Hebrew.

It made me so happy and I've been thinking about it every day since then. It's just so nice to get a positive reaction like that. I feel like a lot of times people just don't know what to say, especially if they don't know many SAHPs. Or they'll say something like "That must be hard," or ask me what I did before I had kids, as though that's the only thing worth talking about.

Anyway, just wanted to share. Joy every day! It might not always feel that way but I'm trying to live it.

· Registered
664 Posts
That's awesome! I love it when people say sweet things like that to us about how we choose to raise our kids.

I had a doctor once tell me that if "I had the luxury of being a stay-at-home mom, I would have had more children." It wasn't meant in a negative way at all, but it still turned me off. Personally, working as a highly-paid professional sounded like a luxury to me at that time (I was pregnant, exhausted, and chasing after a toddler).

Now, though, I have to agree with her- it is a luxury to be with my kids every day! We have so much fun together

· Registered
89 Posts
I had never heard that quote!
I love it.
Do you know where to find it in Hebrew?
I have tried to be a working mom while caring for my children....like they would go to work with me or I would only work one day away, 50 feet from home.
And I like it best being a stay at home mom. Maybe someday I will find something that fits in a little better with us (work wise). But now I am loving being a stay at home mom.
I was totally a career person before having children.
But this is the most awesome special career I could have ever imagined having when it comes down to it.

· Registered
3,802 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Katielady View Post
So I brought my daughter to a doc the other week (allergist, to check on her dairy intolerance), and when he was taking the history he asked if I'm working or home with the kids. I said I'm home, and he said, "Oh, so you have joy every day," which I think is a saying he translated from Hebrew.

It made me so happy and I've been thinking about it every day since then. It's just so nice to get a positive reaction like that. I feel like a lot of times people just don't know what to say, especially if they don't know many SAHPs. Or they'll say something like "That must be hard," or ask me what I did before I had kids, as though that's the only thing worth talking about.

Anyway, just wanted to share. Joy every day! It might not always feel that way but I'm trying to live it.

This made me grin, and after the day we've had I needed it. Thanks so much for posting.

· Premium Member
386 Posts
i was washing the dishes yesterday, listening to dd babble excitedly as she sat on the floor behind me. i turned around to look at her and she just busted out this huge ear to ear grin. i was awash in pure joy. and my next thought was just how many times a day i feel that way, and how lucky that makes me.

i wouldn't trade my life with her for anything

· Registered
908 Posts
Thank you. I will be keeping this thought in my mind even as I pluck my crazy climbing child off the top of the sofa (yet again!) or when I get frustrated with her grabbing at dirty dishes while I load the dishwasher...or any other time I feel the urge to cry, scream, get angry, or get annoyed with my beautifully active toddler.

Thank you.

· Registered
544 Posts
That is so lovely. What a nice thing to say.

In a mother's group I just joined, we were asked to think of one word that we want to describe our experience as mothers, and I chose "joyful." An accurate description of the past few days would be more like "stressful" or "stressed-out" or I'm gonna totally lose it if this kid doesn't take a nap" -- oops more than one word -- but I am trying to remember to appreciate those little flashes of joy amid the daily frustrations. And when my son smiles at me, it is a pure shot of joy, no matter what other craziness is happening at the time.

· Registered
174 Posts
Quote:

It's just so nice to get a positive reaction like that. I feel like a lot of times people just don't know what to say, especially if they don't know many SAHPs. Or they'll say something like "That must be hard," or ask me what I did before I had kids, as though that's the only thing worth talking about.
Actually, I am happily surprised at how many people, when I tell them I'm a SAHM, tell me "Good for you! How nice for you AND your little one! Cherish it for as long as you can." I have noticed that a lot of these comments come from middle-aged and older women. It gets me to wondering how many were WOHMs who didn't necessarily want to be and feel like they missed out on their kids, or are from the generation when not so many women were WOHMs and are dismayed at the number of parents who don't stay at home to raise the little ones. It really doesn't matter, it's nice to have one's choices validated from time to time though by people who aren't really obligated to say anything at all about it.

· Registered
1,855 Posts
Quote:

Or they'll say something like "That must be hard,"
I always really appreciated it when people recognized that it's a lot of work to stay at home with your kids as opposed to the reaction I got most of the time: various ways to insinuate I had it *so easy*.

I love the quote by the way. Love it. I'm gearing up to go back to SAH for awhile and today my nearly 8 year old and I were not getting along (I will be homeschooling him come August) and I was getting a little nervous. I'll be rewiring that into "Joy Everyday" starting now.

· Registered
1,098 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by snguyen View Post
Actually, I am happily surprised at how many people, when I tell them I'm a SAHM, tell me "Good for you! How nice for you AND your little one! Cherish it for as long as you can." I have noticed that a lot of these comments come from middle-aged and older women. It gets me to wondering how many were WOHMs who didn't necessarily want to be and feel like they missed out on their kids, or are from the generation when not so many women were WOHMs and are dismayed at the number of parents who don't stay at home to raise the little ones. It really doesn't matter, it's nice to have one's choices validated from time to time though by people who aren't really obligated to say anything at all about it.

I too have found that most of the positive comments about my choices have come from the older generations. I'm not currently a SAHM, but when I went from FT to PRN at work a couple years ago, most of the women my own age seemed negative, critical or puzzled, whereas I had more than one "You have the rest of your life to work- enjoy your children!" comment from older women.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.