Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My MIL (and my DH, it seems) are under the impression that juice is "like fruit," and therefore give it to my DS much more often that I'd like. I'm not a juice nazi or anything -- I'm fine with a little OJ or apple juice once in a while, but I view it as a treat, not as a "healthy" beverage. I feel like, nutritionally, it's more on par with soda than with fruit.

I do make DS a fruit smoothie almost every day (with banana, strawberries, some pureed veggies, and yogurt), but that's using the whole fruit, so he's getting the fiber, no added sugar, etc.

I feel like I'm being annoying (to DH in particular) about the whole juice thing, because I think he thinks it's just my opinion. So do any of you have reliable, not-too-one-sided resources that clearly explain that juice isn't the best choice of beverage for kids? (Well, I guess that would make them one-sided, huh?
I guess I mean that I don't want them to be inflammatory or over-the-top -- you know what I mean.)

·
Registered
9,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
...or just thoughts of your own on the subject? Anyone? Anyone?

·
Premium Member
14,038 Posts
Well...

You can take the "science" route (I'm a reference librarian, for finding mainstream medical data I'm fond of PubMed...just google PubMed, it's free to the public):

The Journal of the American College of Nutrition published a study titled "Children's growth parameters vary by type of fruit juice consumed". The conclusion was:

Quote:
The previously reported associations between short stature and high intakes of fruit juice were observed for intakes of both apple juice and grape juice. The associations between high fruit juice intakes and obesity were observed with apple juice intakes only. Because most of the fruit juice mixtures were classified as single fruit juices, the findings, especially those with grape juice, need to be cautiously interpreted. High intakes of fruit juice, however, appear to be associated with growth extremes in young children. Thus, it would seem prudent for parents and caretakers to moderate the fruit juice intakes of their young children.
And the Kellymom Breastfeeding site has a whole page devoted to juice (including links to papers on juice and studies that address juice consumption in kids)...check out the information at http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...aby-juice.html.

Good luck!

·
Registered
9,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thankyou wombatclay!! There were lots of useful articles in the link you provided -- I appreciate it! I don't want DH and MIL thinking I'm just being a disagreeable, overprotective nag when I express a desire for healthier alternatives to juice to be offered to DS.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts