Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 185 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
well, thanks for all of the sympathy. it seems like i, not the one who was hurt, am the one who needs it- eisa is fine. somehow though, i just can't get my head out of the fog today- i havn't even left the house. just a blech day.
off to cook dinner----mcs

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
try not to beat yourself up, mcs....it happens to all of us. and it sucks.

so who else has a face-eater? I can't hold Cully upright (as in, looking over my shoulder) anymore because he immediately tries to eat my face

I mean, it's cute and I can imagine that he's trying to give sloppy baby kisses, but inevitably the little mouthing because sucking and I don't want to end up with a hickie on my cheek/chin....AGAIN. It's just so hysterical, though, to see this giant wet baby mouth slooooooooowly coming at your face, and hear them breathing....like they're moving in for the kill,
And I'm sure other babies do it, but Cully does this little animal-like "shake" of his mouth when he gets near something he wants to put in his mouth, and gets REALLY excited about it. Like a puppy shaking a toy. Sooooooo cute.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Emmy I feel like I say this all the time.. but Elaina does the kisses/eating
Cracks me up. Sometimes she is gentle and sweet but other times it's kind of scary :roll

mcs, *hugs* when dd was realllllll little i pinched her arm in the buckle of her bouncy seat and cried more about it than she did.

Elaina hasn't been eating real well today... she'll only nurse til my milk lets down, then she wants none of it! I managed to sneak in two good feedings when she stirred during naps tho.

Karen, like Shea, dd is a casual nurser. She lets go and rolls away from the breast when she's done eating, and gets maaaaaaaaaad if i try to feed her when she's not hungry!

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
I have a face kisseater, too. Cracks me up. I get a good laugh every time by laying on my back or reclining with her on my chest. She'll smile and her head will bob down and she'll latch onto my chin, my cheek, my neck, my collarbone... It's so funny. Slobbery, but sweet.

MCS when Gabriel was about 14 months old, somehow I managed to leave the gate down to the bathroom with my hair clamp/iron on.
He grabbed it and screamed and didn't know to let go. Luckily it was closed and locked, but he had a HUUUUGE blister on his thumb and forefinger and it just broke my heart everytime I had to change the bandage. There have been dozens of bumps and bangs since then that I probably could have prevented.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
seriously, who *doesn't* offer a woman with a baby a seat on the subway? furthermore, who doesn't offer a woman who is nursing her baby a seat? yes, that's right, i nursed istra standing up on the subway during rush hour. okay, yeah, i think that's kind of cool in a breastfeeding-activism kind of way, but still... i thought it was kind of crappy that no one offered me a seat.

·
Registered
480 Posts
oh no posting on two threads....

mcs: two vs one sided nursing: I did one sided because i thought it would help with a gassy babe who maybe was gettikng to much foremilk, but then i read it this on dr jack newmens site 'some dude from canada who is a BF guru'

'9. You are feeding one side only each feeding, so that he gets the high fat "hindmilk". Remember, if the baby is not drinking, he's not getting any milk and if he's not getting any milk, he's not getting hindmilk. "Finish" one side and if he wants more, offer the other.'

s-im so disapointed in fellow canadians for not giving you a seat, whats wrong with people these days. but wtg on bf while on the subway.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
jennie -- actually it wasn't too bad because dd was in the ergo... it's pretty easy to nurse standing up with the ergo (or in a mei tai for that matter)... still it's the prinnciple of the thing, yk?

so i guess we're still posting on the other thread?

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Whew...a good friend of mine is in from Iowa for three days, for her dh's grandmother's funeral. We were in childbirth classes together with our firsts, and they are best friends, even though they moved to Iowa a couple years ago. I let sam skip school (a half-day, anyway) today, and I drove up there to watch her THREE BOYS, ages 6, 3, and 15 months while they went to a funeral.

Suffice to say I can barely keep my eyes open now, and it was only for 3 hours. They are such sweet kids, though, and the 3 year old kept at my heels, with "Um, Sammy's Mommy could you...." the whole time. toooooooo cute!
And Sam had a really good time with "the baby" (15 month old) tickling him and playing with him...I'm excited for Cully to be of an age where they can *really* play together. It was sweet watching her with Luke.

mcs - we do one-sided feedings because I have a fire-hydrant-style let down that infuriates as well as chokes the baby, so one-sided feedings keep it at bay.

the local news is about to run the ferber story, i'm interested to see the spin they'll put on it since he's local....

edit: eh, it was wishy washy, not very interesting at all.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
S - Duh! Of course you had I in a baby carrier. Usually when I'm nursing standing up, I'm trying to put Ely to sleep. Do you love your ergo? Mine should be here next week for my birthday

Today is my mom's birthday. I made the cake last night and the frosting/icing just now. It's taking all my self control to leave some chocolate buttercream for the cake!

·
Registered
902 Posts
No face eaters here, although on occasion she will do that.
The nursing is interesting. I meant to ask if anyone does it like we do. I just pick her up to nurse her "when I feel like it". It's not when my milk lets down, it's not when I look at the clock, it's not when she cries. It's when I feel like it's time. Then after I "feel like" she's done I'll pop her off and she won't fuss. I guess it's an intuition thing.
This is a half and half thing though, sometimes I'll pop her off, the other times she'll roll herself off, look at me all wide eyed and do funny things with her lips, then latch back on and repeat over and over until I pick her back up. I keep wanting to have a camera handy because the look on her face is always so priceless. She does something similar in the tub too (funny faces that is). When I initially set her in the water, she has this look of absolute terror but she's not scared. Then she calms down and starts chewing baby gum. Any other babes do that? They look like they're chewing gum.. ANYWAY!!! So we tried capturing it on camera a few times and what she does is look at the camera and doesn't concentrate on making that face. D'OH!
How's this for poor parenting folks...
Shea fell asleep so I laid her on the floor on a blanket. DS falls asleep on the sofa because he doesn't feel so good. I'm in here on the computer, and I hear DS moan, I go into the other room and HE has fallen off of the sofa and rolled on to the baby's arm. She's just laying there like "Geez, are you going to move my 60 pound brother or not?". Scared me.. I mean, if she was a couple of inches closer he could have really hurt her. And to think I laid her on the floor because the sofa wasn't safe. Geez.
I'm wondering when the little one will cut teeth. If I hear from one more person "Man, she's really teething!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! " I'll have to maybe punch a hole in the wall. I think it's hard to tell since they always like to chew on things and drool. I mean wtf?
DS got his first tooth at 10 months. I am not minding that at all, I love gummy smiles. And fwiw, he never bit me, in case some of you first timers are worried.
Oh, we've discovered paper. LOOOOVVVE paper. I think that's her first food. I can't do coupons near her anymore because she grabs them and eats them. I took some away from her the other day and she had an absolute fit.
Oh you'll all be happy to know I've bought some barrettes. I'm kind of against cute girly baby things, but when we got ds's hair cut the lady put a barrette in Shea's hair out of the kindness of her heart. It was pretty cute actually. So I bought some at the $ store and also got some cute little dragonfly ones. Nothing too fancy. Her hair is still very long and growing, but of course has a bald spot in the back. The AAP would be proud. Back to sleep.... Whatever

Well I better jet, the natives are getting restless!
Karen

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
We nurse that way, too, Karen. I never look at the clock. She's a fast nurser, though. All my kids have been. So, i know it's only a few minutes at a time. Could not tell you how often/how many times a day, though. Honestly, not a clue.

I did give her her first meds today.
I gave her tylenol b/c her teeth were really bugging her as they were cutting through the gums. I'm gonna miss her gummy grin, love how short her face gets. Oh well, toothy ones are cute, too, and it could still be a while before they're all the way in.

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
Ds did the CUTEST thing today.... he grabbed my PB&J Sandwich! He just dove for it like a mad thing and (he was sitting in my lap) before i could even blink he was face deep in it.. i pulled him away and he had a fistful of mushy bread and was sucking the life out of it..he apparently loves pb and j...
I SO wish i could have gotten a pic of it...he was precious!

Angel... are you enjoying the new shorter thread??(!!!!!)

I love the little heavy breathing "Mommy eating monster"..I swear, I keep saying I want him to stay this age forever!!!! I don't remember enjoying dd this much... i want him this sweet forever

Ugh... Selena.. that really stinks!

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Cute! Gwen did that a couple of weeks ago. I was eating a pb&honey sand and she DOVE for it. Got some in her mouth and looked disgusted while she smacked. Then, her eyes got HUGE and all of her limbs started doing the happy dance.
And she started trying to get more. Oh boy, I was laughing so hard she was so cute.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
At least your dcs are going for pb&J or H sammiches. My daughter dove head first for daddy's kung pao chicken last night
He kept her out of it, but man, was she pissed about that

There's a discussion on another message board I frequent about Ferber, now. I started it and I should know better. It's mostly manstream mamas on that board. And now i have people telling me, "Well, my dc was ferberized and he's the best sleeper!" I wanna smack someone. Grrrr

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
re: Ferber/sleep training

There have been several news pieces lately (around here, at least) that have been talking about the huge surge in kids between the ages of 10 and 19 going on prescription sleep aids.
Ferber came 'round with his method 20 years ago, and others like him quickly followed suit.
My gut tells me there's a correlation to be made there, between the onset of these CIO sleep methods hitting the market, and babies 10-20 years LATER having sleep issues on a large enough scale to make a giant increase in the number of sleep aid prescriptions being written.

Of course there are lots of variables in there, ie kids have a lot going on, more overstimulation from their world in general, and the readiness and willingness to simply prescribe a drug rather than treat any underlying problems...but still, I have to wonder if it really is merely coincidence that kids that were born in the great Ferber Era are growing up and have become the biggest age group for prescription sleep meds....

1 - 20 of 185 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.