Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I have tried digi scrapping a little bit but since my part-time job involves exclusively computer work, I prefer my play time to involve real actual paper.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
please tell me that some of you are perpetually catching up, too... I am still not through DD1's first year... she is 3.5
I am getting there... there are just too many nie pictures and the albumn is 12x12, so that makes it take more time.

MY current goal is to get her 1st year done by Nov and then get DD2's done. Fro mthat point I am going to to through our pictures and focus on family events or really nice photos and compile a smaller size albumn. 12x12 is just killing me.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
[soapbox] I never think of myself as "catching up". Those of you who have been on this thread a while have heard me pontificate on this subject. I scrap for fun. I don't need something else on my "to do" list. I will probably never catch up. I don't scrap in any kind of order and I don't do it to please anyone else. That's what the rest of my life is for.
Scrapping is for fun! [/soapbox]

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
thank you! i usually think that way, too... i just get discouraged sometimes when i see all the cute photos and i feel like i will never get to use them all. esp b/c i frugally scrap... i don't buy much other than paper, ribbon, ink and fasteners and make most of the embellishments. it takes a lot longer to finish a page (as i head into day five of my dd1's standing page).

·
Registered
830 Posts
I feel like I am always "behind" as well. I need to take a different attitude I think. I keep thinking it would be nice to take a picture, get it printed and scrap it right away while everything is still fresh. I have been working chronologically, but why not skip around a bit?

When we adopted our daughter, I decided NOT to scrap the trip to China, because it was too intimidating (tons and tons of pictures!). But I will make her a lifebook, which is pretty similar to a scrapbook and will be like ds's first year album.

Question: For those of you with more than one child, do you separate their books or make one big book with both/all kids in it? I can't decide what to do. I take a lot of pictures of both kids together. But I also want dd to have her own book and I want to use some pink girly papers, etc.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Well, I am doing a first year book for each and then I am planning to do smaller books in chrono-order for the family. For bigger trips with more pictures I think I will probably do a whole book.

HipGal, I am in the same place as you... I so wish I could start doing "live time" scrapping. I am thinking of finishing the two pages I am currently on and then trying to start doing each event/picture as it happens and fill in with past pages in-between. At this point, I have so many pictures over the past 3.5 years that I don't think I'd get up to live time anytime soon unless I did some quick-scrapping which isn't what I'm about. I like spending a day or more on a single layout.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
hey i just wanted to share a really great find (for me)...

i have been looking for some more efficient ways to add dimension to my pages without using more paper or stickers. Inking! I've found that inking the edges of paper and letters really makes it pop!

We splurged on a set of VersaMagic DewDrop chalk-ink pads. I got 4 colors in a kit for $10... I think you can get singles, but the store I went to only had the kits. But I think just getting some black can really add punch. It dries really fast and isn't messy at all. And I think this set will last a long time, so in the end not that expensive at all.

Anyway, just thought I'd add my new find. I am just loving the way it makes things pop and creates natural-looking borders when layering.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I love how inking edges looks too.

So glad my perspective is helpful.
I said I don't scrap in any kind of order, but I actually tend to do whatever happens to be the most recent at any given time. Then, if I've been scrapping a lot (almost never!), I'll start to work backwards. I really enjoy doing recent stuff, and the journaling is so much easier and more informative if the pics are newer.

I do almost everything chronologically. I don't expect my kids to fight over these after I'm dead, but if they do it won't be my problem.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Megs Mom View Post
I love how inking edges looks too.

So glad my perspective is helpful.
I said I don't scrap in any kind of order, but I actually tend to do whatever happens to be the most recent at any given time. Then, if I've been scrapping a lot (almost never!), I'll start to work backwards. I really enjoy doing recent stuff, and the journaling is so much easier and more informative if the pics are newer.

I do almost everything chronologically. I don't expect my kids to fight over these after I'm dead, but if they do it won't be my problem.

You have really helped me get a better perspective. Everytime I start to feel overwhelmed I just remember that this is a HOBBY and is supposed to be FUN. I have a way of turning everything into a big project with goals and stuff... sometimes I just need to do something in my own time... even if I have to focus on keeping it that way

So, I just had to post that I am inking just about every edge I can find.
I am sooooo addicted. Every layout now looks incomplete without it.

AND... tada! I am just two layouts away from having DD1's first year completed. At that point I will start DD2's first year. When that is completed, I will focus on the family highlights 2005-present. Unfortunately, there aren't as many pictures. I think I am going to start mini-books for that... a vacation only book, new house, garden, etc... I am open to ideas... how do you scrap family albumns? Chrono or event/project-type? 12x12 pages are getting to be a bit much (expensive for paper/embellishments) but I cannot imagine going smaller... I'm afraid it will not allow me to use as many photos. But then I guess I could do more individual pages, whereas right now I can fit 3-5 photos on one page... hmmmmm

okay, rambling over. I jsut wanted to check in! How is everyone doing? I would love to see your layouts if you have them online. I cannot figure out how to get a picture of my 12x12s... my scanner is too small.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I have separate books for my kids right now, which is weird since some of the pictures of the two of them together will go in both albums! I am not sure how to address that. my dd has a first year album and 2 albums from age 1-2. I'm working on her current album of age 2+...and ds I'm on his first obviously!

·
Registered
721 Posts
I'm just starting digital scrapping. Anyone have advice for me?

I downloaded a free set at The Shabby Shop and have been playing around with that.

I really want to do some calendars and photo albums for family for presents.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.