Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, it's my first time starting a thread on here, I think...

Chrissy, sorry about the house. =O(

Anna, your trip home sounds wonderful. And I'll bet you and Jerome will really enjoy fixing up a nice old farmhouse...

Sara, your place seems to be coming along nicely! I am your opposite... I have boxes EVERYWHERE, and we've been here 5 years!

Anna, I brought my garage-sale sewing machine down to Florida this past week when I visited my mom, and thought of you... We pulled it out Wednesday night and she and my oldest sister tinkered into the evening until they figured out how to thread and work the old beast. To my excitement, it's in perfect condition! Then they showed me how to work the thing. I made some practice lines on some fabric, and am looking forward to trying to make something now. I must be the most clueless homemaker in existence! haha...

I've been on the computer now for HOURS today... Matt bought Nicolas a Risk board game Friday night, and they started a game this afternoon. I think it's now been four hours straight they've been playing... (It's pretty nice having such a clever, advanced little boy, hee hee. It's a game for ages 10 and up and my 5 year old is kicking daddy's butt! he's helping him some, of course....) A friend at the lake yesterday overheard Nicolas reading a book by himself and commented to dh how impressed she was by his skill. (Proud mama puffs up her chest)

OK, babies are hungry and so am I! I'll probably write again Tuesday, after my two doctor appts.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Just wanted to say - Julia, I posted a reply to your question about Waldorf dolls on last week's thread.

I get to go home in 6 days!!!

Not that i don't love it here.

But I want to be home!

xo, j

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Hi all! I am just popping in for the evening. Christopher is asleep and DH is playing a driving game on the computer. Ahh almost quiet except for the hum of the car. Hope everyone is doing well. Tomorrow is the first of my every 2 weeks visits.

·
Registered
850 Posts
good morning ladies!

It was nice to hear from so many of you over the weekend! I really have to get internet access at home!!!! Every monday I find myself trying to get caught up on posts while trying not to get "caught" playing online! We actually have alot to do on Monday morning's as Saturday's mail is waiting for us on Monday... oh well!

Had a lovely weekend chilling out at home.
On Saturday I sewed diapers.... yes i did indeed sew my own fitted diapers! Boy are they CUTE!!! I can't quite claim they are AIO's because there is no officially "waterproof" layer in them, however they are pretty awesome! I haven't added any closures to them yet... snaps, velcro etc so they are currently reversable. I found alot of great info online and mostly used old clothes and old beat up prefolds as my soaker layers. I used some of my smaller peices of quilting fabric for pretty covers. I did buy some nice flannel and fleece but am waiting to use that untill after i have the techniques down better.
After the online diaper pattern fell through... I ended up buying a pattern at JoAnn fabrics, which was for various baby clothes that included a diaper cover. I wanted a shape to work from rather than just tracing around a premade diaper. The pattern came with 5 sizes! And it was on sale for 99 cents! what a deal!

On sunday we went back to JoAnn fabrics to pick out fabric for a quilt we are intending to make and give as a wedding gift to his brother. Jerome and I had so much fun picking out quilting fabric. (Yes, he sews too!) We went home and worked on the quilt for a few hours... ordered pizza delivery and put in a movie in the back ground. We work really well together, he presses and cuts the fabric, while I sew at the machine. We get alot done that way and tend to keep up with each other pretty well.

While we were working on the quilt last night his dad and stepmom called to offer to throw us a Baby Shower! Hooray! We are planning it for the end of July in Eau Claire! I really have to get organized with registering now! And they want names and addresses ASAP! yikes! lots to do... but We'll get free baby stuff out of it! not that we need that much, but there are some big purchases we haven't made yet, like a carseat or a breast pump or a dressing table. How much success have you guys had with registering online? I don't really want a bunch of Target crap. But hey, whatever works, right!

O.K. gotta run boss will be back soon and i got stuff to do.
Anna Banana

·
Registered
850 Posts
O.K. I must admit I'm not sure I like having a weekly thread. I agree the monthly thread was getting WAY to long, but I always scroll down to the Topic Review area below my current post to see what everyone was talking about. So early in the week I have really hard time replying to any comments made over the weekend.
Maybe we should consider a two week thread instead???

Just a thought
Anna Banana

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Chrissy - I forgot to tell you how gorgeous that wool soaker is. I'm a prefold and bummis kind of cheap diapering mama, but wool covers are my weakness. Baby butts just feel so nice and smoooshy in them!

Anna - what a great deal! No cutting and pressing? Sign me up! Sounds like a fun weekend. Now that I'm moved and don't have my mom to hang out with at night, I'm going to have to get some more crafty stuff to do. I'm BORED by myself at night once Jack gets to sleep.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I didn't know about the topic review option, so it's not been a problem for me. I just sort of try to remember what's going on.

My project for the weekend was trying to buy a pillow for my poor bottom. By last Friday, a week at my mostly desk job had taken its toll. There is a Butt Pillow™ available on the internet but it's pretty expensive. So I went to Walgreens and the like thinking it would be a simple matter to pick one up. Ha. The only one I saw that would be acceptable looked exactly like a toilet seat. Not something I want plunked down in my office chair for all the world to view, and speculate upon. Ugh. Then we looked for a small pillow case. No dice. You seamstresses are probably laughing at me, but depsite the fact that I actually OWN a sewing machine (uh, thanks Mom, I guess
) I can't sew. I can't even thread the thing. So, sewing a simple thing as a pillowcase is out. Lame, I know. Maybe I'll just cover it with a towel.

But I did buy a sitz bath. I sort of hated to do it, since I'll be getting one with my hospital stay, but heck it was only 12 bucks.

I haven't fallen off my flip-flops yet, but I don't laugh and point; it could easily happen to me. I'm pretty ungainly. I think sex is soon going to be out of the question. It's getting to be a huge chore getting into any kind of position. Daggone!
:

Savannah, only one of your pictures would load for me, but you look swell. (Get it? Swell?) I'm right there with you, still. Will you ever pass me up? I feel so huge! Chrissy my swimsuit is so dorky, but there's no way I'm showing my belly in public. So it's a big ole skirt for me. I think it's soon going to be too short. I sort of forgot when I bought it that I have to buy long-torso swim suits normally, and even though this thing expands, it's already starting to inch up my behind. Well, maybe in a month I won't have the energy to put it on, let alone go near a pool.

On the craving front, I can't get enough FRUIT!! Mmmmmmmmm fresh raspberries! Blueberries! Kiwi! Bananas! Anything. I'm afraid my consumption made things a little too, um, busy in the bathroom, but hopefully my body will adjust because I can't get enough of FRUIT!

Last night all DH's fetus dreams came true. Little wild boy was just kicking me for all his was worth, right at the top of the fundus, and he didn't stop for anything as inconvenient as daddy's hand. So we had a good 5-10 minutes of constant pounding before the show was over. Hee hee.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Anna, I just had my baby shower yesterday. It was a blast! Same as you I didn't want to have to register at a crappy store, so I made a registry at www.findgift.com. You can add links to anything else on the internet, so it's very open. I have also heard felicite is good and works the same as findgift.com.

Considering we do know some people who don't use the internet much - God forbid
, we also created a registry at Sears but we pointed out that it was only to give a guideline of all that we need and wasn't meant to direct them to shop at Sears. I really emphasized how much we would appreciate homemade and used gifts and we got a bin full of clothes from my sister cause she went to the thrift store and loaded up.

Cheers,
Julia

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Ellen - I too bought a sitz bath at Walgreen's - don't regret it for a moment, it did a job on my hemorrhoids, ah! Well, the sitz bath + oatmeal + spelt bread + prunes + Hamamelis virginiana 30c remedy...

Anna - oof. Registries. Well, we couldn't find everything we wanted at one store... you know, you can find a rectal thermometer and a breast pump and a bulb syringe and onesies at Target, but we couldn't find the clothing we liked, so we registered at babystyle.com for those... but there we couldn't find our co-sleeper and the canopy, so we registered for those at babybungalow.com, and we registered at earthbaby.com for diapers and a homeopathic kid's kit, not available at any of the other places... but no one else had any toys we liked, so we are registering at a local toy store for toys and such! SO... all of our friends have a zillion options, although we're figuring that the local folks will go for Target and Peapods (toy store) and maybe some school folks will go for some of the online registries, and my sister might buy clothes from babystyle... We honestly weren't trying to be gluttonous, but wanted to give people many options and actually register for things we wanted!

The bathroom is done!!!

j

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hello everyone,

I'm new here. I've been lurking in the thread for weeks and weeks now, but was having problems trying to post. I've really enjoyed lurking though!

Little bit about myself......I'm Christi married to Robert for three years in Sept. We started TTC at our wedding and after a battle with infertility, treated with homeopathy, we found out we were expecting in Dec as we packed up our house to move from Houston to Los Angeles. EDD 9/8/04

I wanted to come in and look for support. I've had a frustrating pg and feel like I've been whining for 8 months now. I had horrible MS for 18 weeks and a week after it ended and things looked like they were heading up, I started having issues with my gall bladder that has left me in constant 24 hour pain since. We just hit the 30 week mark this weekend and I'm still hurting. I had thought that it wasn't my gall bladder any more because the pain has seemed to change and move. I just want to sit down and cry and say why me, but I feel like a big baby. Is it normal to be in 24 hour pain at this point in our pg? I know it is the "getting uncomfortable" time, and yes I have that too, but this hurts. Are we supposed to be hurting constantly?? I just feel like such a freak to have disliked being pg for so long.

Please don't think I'm crazy. I'm THRILLED we are finally going to be parents but I have hated being pg. It just hurts and I'm so sick of hurting.

We are planning a homebirth with a midwife and don't use mainstream allopathic medicines, and I was hoping I could just find some moralle support here without all the usual (you should get to a doctor immediately, just take some Prozac, just take a Benadryl, have surgery to remove whatever hurts, etc etc etc). I'm just really discouraged right now.

Sorry to run into the new thread and rain on everyone's parade. I hope none of you can relate to this at all. Although, I don't think I've had a "BAD" pregnancy (ie I haven't had any worries about the baby the whole time, no spotting or weird unexplained cramping etc), which is why I wonder if I am just being a big baby and whining all the time.

Anyway, thanks for reading this far.

Christi

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I emailed babybungalo asking about a product, not once but twice, and have recieved no answer, so I hope their registry is better run!I just wanted to know more about the wood colors on the sleigh bed cosleeper.

Christi!

Yes, being pregnant does suck sometimes! Worse at times then at others, and each pregnancy really is different. Vent away!

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Hi girls!

Just popping in for a moment.

As far as the weekly threads, I was just thinking that maybe that change is the reason for some people missing and/or not being as chatty as usual. It is slightly more complicated to keep up with threads that change weekly, especially for newcomers. Maybe trying a two week thread is worth a try?

Anna, you really must get internet access at home. How are we going to chat after you leave work? There are very important things we will all need to share during that time!

Crap, gotta fly.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Good morning ladies!

Hey adventuregirl, how's camp? Still having fun or are you getting ready to be all done? I know I'm ready to be all done and I get to sit on my butt for most of my day!!!

Plantmommy doesn't it suck to get no answer from an online site! I was super irked about some diaper patterns last week, it turned out the site was closed for major maintenance.... well how was I able to place an order then??? GRRRrrrrrr!

Welcome Christi! I am soo sorry to hear you are suffering alot right now. That must really suck! I'm afraid I don't really understand what all is going on.... possibly gall bladder pain 24 hours a day? And are you saying you had horrible morning sickness for 18 weeks! Yuck! I was a big barfer for about 7 weeks and thought that was terrible. My older sister is currently pregnant with her 3rd child and is really having a hard time. She actually drove from Iowa to Montana with two toddlers, in order to crash on my mom's couch for a few weeks! I'm thankful to have had a more pleasant pregnancy then any of hers... nausea all the way to the end..... nearly daily barfing even in the 3 tri! Poor lady!
I really don't know anything about gall bladder pain, but am a firm believer in chiropractic care. I am "treating" an over active thyroid gland by getting regular adjustments.... The idea is pretty basic, if your spine is correctly alligned... your body has an oportunity to heal itself. So, if you haven't seen a chiro.... you may find it is worth while to check it out. And while you are finding one look for someone skilled in using webster's technique. It can really help us pregger mamas out!
And Christi, don't worry about bumming us out, we love to give advice! te he he hee!

Jen i am so glad to hear the bathroom is done! YAY for Jo! I bet she's ready for a break, and ready for you to come home! What colors did you end up going with??? Am i correctly remembering small black and white tiles???

This registery business is driving me crazy! I am really feeling the pressure now, with invites going out in about a week! Yikes! Has someone really done their homework about rear facing car seats? Please share what you know, I'm overwhelmed by the choices!
Julia thanks for the heads up on findgift.com it looks like it will simplify matters a bit... just gotta dive in, I guess!

Jerome and I had big fight last night, well not so much a fight as a big talk and cry. He was wound up super tight and he ended up sitting on the floor in the kitchen crying. There's just so much going on right now, decisions to make, stuff to do... money to spend. We are really feeling the pressure right now. He told me that he's lonely and that he misses me.... I sleep so much, and my "focus" is on the baby, instead of on him. He even admitted to being jealous about my spending money on baby stuff, which is pretty silly but understandable. I'm not sure what to think about all this.... i just know my husband needs me and i haven't been there for him. But, i am so tired by time i get home at night... my body demands that i sleep. He knows that, in his head, but his heart doesn't understand. Poor hubby.

So Tree swallow, youv'e got a sore rear end too, huh? My chiro adjusted my tailbone yesterday and suggested i get a fancy butt pillow... humph! What next?

Well it is time for me to work now, i came in early. Had to drive Jerome to work, he ran over a nail on his bike last week and needs a new tube. So, in the meantime.... I drop him off and come in early!

Happy day to everyone!
Anna Banana

·
Registered
211 Posts
*stumbles in and collapses* It's only 8:30 in the morning and I'm already exhausted! THings have been way too busy for me lately. I'm getting new linoleum in the kitchen right this minute, whee. The only drawback to this whole floor thing is that the fridge is in the middle of the living room for a week. (My husband left for San Diego Sunday so he and his dad had to move the fridge before he left.) I made my insides hurt getting the kitchen table into the living room this morning. It's heavier than I realized. *sigh* And now the stove is entering the living room, oh joy! My house is such a mess from all these projects, I just want to cry. I do my best to get things cleaned up then my husband and father in law start another project, make a huge mess and guess who gets to clean it up. Things are going okay otherwise. I'm tired and frustrated by all the things I can't do. I'm trying not to let my in laws stress me out too much, or worry about finances and stuff, but it's hard. I'm going shopping on Thursday for baby stuff with a friend, hurray! I'm looking forward to that, it should be fun. I think I'm going to brew up a pot of mostly decaf coffee and try to relax. Hope everyone has a great day!

·
Registered
850 Posts
I forgot to tell you guys about the sweet thing Jerome did for me last week. Friday was the 25th of June, my very merry unbirthday! My birthday is on December 25th... yes, Christmas day. So, friday was exactly half way between birthdays.
So while i was at the salon getting a haircut, (Drastically shorter, but not purple. BTW) he called to wish me a very merry unbirthday! I had no idea what he was talking about... well he took me out for a steak dinner and had a gift for me. He bought me an amber bracelet from the jewlery / rock shop where we had our wedding bands designed. I am a total amber freak, he's been buying me amber jewelery for special occasions since we started dating. It was such a sweet and unexpected surprise, what a dear man!

Just had to brag
Anna Banana

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
I am here...sort of. I don't know why, I go through these phases where I just can't seem to get my self to post anything. Sorry...I guess pregnancy hormones!

I am nesting. Big time. I am due two months from today according to my "new" due date. But who knows. I do hope he somes before September...my daughter starts kindergarten Sept 1, and I don't want to miss it. Other than that, I am just huge and bulky and uncomfortable...I can't imagine 8 more weeks...but hten I can't imagine having another baby in 8 weeks either!!

Hope everyone is good...I am trying to catch up on the reading. I don't know wabout the topic review thing...whatever works for everyone else....

Caroline

·
Registered
850 Posts
Hey Caroline!

I'm glad to hear you are doing so well. 8 more weeks huh? I'm in my 28th week (from conception) 30 weeks (LMP) and am in no hurry for this kid to get here. WE'RE NOT READY!!!!
Keep taking good care of yourself! Hey are you still on pelvic rest??? Hope not!

Topic review thingy... here's the deal. When you are posting reply if you scroll down, first you will see Additional Options and if you scroll farther down you will see Topic Review with the newest post listed first. I use this to respond to other people's comments more directly. It's easy to use and keeps me from having to "remember" stuff. Lazy mamas check it out!

Love to all
Anna Banana

1 - 20 of 81 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.