Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Juniper's mom, I think you posted once in a thread on the LLL boards about your adoptive bf'ing experience? If I remember right, you did not use meds at all but were able to have a full supply? I was wondering if you could share your story and any tips?

I have a 10 day old baby girl that I am bf'ing. I had already planned to not use any meds, and because of prior reactions to fenugreek, I will likely not use that either. Because this placement was extremely fast, I did not have a chance to even pump before she arrived. (We got the call on Wednesday, she was born on Friday, and we took placement on Sunday--and had dh's mother's viewing and funeral in the middle of all that.) I have been nursing her ever since placement and things are going pretty well. We had some relatively minor latch issues at first, but she seems to be turning the corner and "getting it". She loves to nurse! She comfort nurses more than my ds did already, and we're already well on the road to mastering nursing lying down, something which never happened with my ds. However, I haven't seen any signs of milk yet. With my ds, I didn't see anything until he was 4 weeks old, and I"d been pumping or nursing for almost 2 months. I'm hoping things happen a little faster this time. Is it possible to have milk and not be able even to hand express it? There are times when I wonder if she is getting at least a little something. I am just starting to see some breast changes.

Assuming I got your story right, what do you think were the contributing factors to your success? I never made much milk with my ds (only about 1 oz/day), but there were extenuating factors. I believe he had reflux--he was an extremely fussy nurser.

If anyone else wants to share experiences, I would love to hear it all. It's especially hard to find people who have done it without medications.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Sure - I just nursed her constantly (and I mean constantly) for a long long time. I didn't do any preparation - but about a year before we decided on adoption I was doing a self breast exam and was able to get drops of milk out of each nipple. (I attribute it to the fact that I'm a midwife and surrounded by momma hormones, could be wrong but it works for me). I used supplementors at first. After a about a month I started closing off the supplementor tubes for feedings. I immediately didn't need it during the mornings, about a week or so later I didn't need it for afternoons - evening feedings were the last to go. Then about every 6 or 8 weeks (usually around a growth spurt) she started fussing at the breast, so I'd pull out the supplementor again and usually after 2 days I didn't need it anymore. When she turned 10 months we were going on a little over a week still needing the supplementor so I took Marshmallow Root and within three days I leaked for my first time ever. Since then she has been eating real food and really only nurses to night-night and the occasional comfort nursing with owies and we haven't needed anything else.
I've never been pregnant, and I know that this is not the usual.. because I have an adoptive mom breastfeeding group and not every one has the same luck we did. My babe will be 15 months on the 1st and is still a boobie monster.

~Shannon

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, that really is amazing! No, I don't expect that kind of experience, especially after the history of my previous experience. I'd like to do better than 1 oz/day though.

So how often is "constantly"? I worry that I am not nursing enough. My baby sleeps a lot right now. I would say that we nurse on average every 2.5 hours. Sometimes, especially in the evenings, she will cluster nurse several times in an hour. But at other times she sleeps for 3 hour stretches or more. If it goes much more than three hours, I wake her up, but often she'll eat 1/2 oz and go right back to sleep. Sometimes she nurses quite efficiently, but at other times she seems to be taking her own sweet time and not sucking very hard. Most of our nursing sessions are between 30-45 minutes. We are using formula as our supplement, and I wonder if her feeding pattern is really more like that of a bottlefed baby since the formula digests differently. Would you wake her up frequently to nurse or just let it truly be on her demand?

I would be interested in joining your email group. I'm a member of another one right now, but I find it not as helpful because most everyone is using meds and my experience is so different.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts