Mothering Forum banner

Jury Duty -- positive BF experience

717 Views 18 Replies 19 Participants Last post by  hellyaellen
I just thought that I would post this positive bf experience. I was called to serve jury duty last week. After the Asst. Chairperson got done asking for student and travel excuses she was getting a little low on possible jurors. She asked if there were any potential jurors with childcare issues. About 8 women raised their hands and we all went into a side room. She asked the ages of our children. As I had the youngest children 5y, 3y and 9 months I got to speak first. I told her that I would be happy to serve as a Juror but that I needed to ask for accomodation because I needed to pump milk for my youngest child. The woman literally raised her hands in the air and said "Yes! We can accomodate you." Appearently they had a private room designated when the new courthouse was built 4-5 years ago and I was the first person to ask for accomodation. Sad but true. It all worked nicely too because the court managed to break at a regular time each day due to my schedule.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
What a great story! It is good that they were able to accomodate you. Too bad you were the first person in 4 years to need that accomodation. Of course, maybe other women with young children are just asking to be completely excused from jury duty?
That was also my situation when I was called to jury duty. They were more than willing to accomodate me with a private room and electrical outlet, and, like you, I was the only mother that had ever asked for it since the courthouse's remodel. It's nice to know that they're willing to support BFing moms.
YEAY!!! Sooo happy for your positive experience!!
See less See more
yay that's great! I'm supposed to go to jury duty next week and am actually kinda hoping to get out of it all together but it's great to know that you had a good experience like that. How weird that no mama has ever needed to pump there, glad they had a place for it though
See less See more
Thank you for your post. I am a member of the Breastfeeding Advocacy Network and we are based in the Hudson Valley (NY). I am happy to hear that Westchester County has these accomadations. I love hearing these stories! We will be passing this information along.
I also have a positive Jury duty experience!

I was called to Jury duty at the Superior court in AZ and used my 90 day exemption at first but went down and served when my DS was 8 months old. I was so happy that they had a room that was used for pumping and must be used often because there was a sign on the door a nice seat and outlets! I was so scared I would have to use a bathroom. I served on the jury and the judge made sure that we broke at regular intervals to accommodate me. It would have been nice to have a solely dedicated room but I was very happy with the accommodations.

4 years though I can't believe that. At least it was there for you!
Hmm, I think that BFing mamas should be exempted from jury duty altogether. Of course, I have never been able to pump more than an ounce or two and my son would never take a bottle, so being given a room to pump just would not have "accomodated" me. I would need to not be separated from my son in order to be accomodated.
I personally think the baby being separated from the mom for the course of a day for who knows how many days is not a positve thing.
Quote:

Originally Posted by momto l&a
I personally think the baby being separated from the mom for the course of a day for who knows how many days is not a positve thing.
Well, a mother might be working full time out of the home anyway, but be able to pump at her work according to her own schedule and need the same flexibility when she is serving jury duty. Jury duty doesn't last longer than a regular workday anyway.
Quote:

Originally Posted by momto l&a
I don't think this is the spot for that type of judgements, maybe parenting or you could go to the working moms forum and see what they think. I love your siggy BTW!

Glad to hear that BF'ing is beginnning to get the help it deserves! It is hard to pump and takes a dedicated, loving mom to do it! IMO well worth the investment for Federal buildings, as it is helping a new healthier, brighter generation for the country.
Quote:
Jury duty doesn't last longer than a regular workday anyway.
Unless the trial does.

It's good to hear that courts are starting to get a clue.
It's doubly good to hear that breastfeeding is being supported!
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meiri

Quote:
Jury duty doesn't last longer than a regular workday anyway.
Unless the trial does.
I think what was meant is that a full jury duty day is the same length as, or from my experience, shorter than, a normal work day. However, if the trial needs to last longer, it requires several work-length days - but not extra-long days, though. I think it is exceedingly rare to be required to spend long hours in the courtroom in a single day.
That is wonderful. When I was called to jury duty, there was a box, listed for automatic exclusion from duty, just for bf'ing Moms. I was estatic.
I think it's a wonderful thing, too!

Maybe the courthouse should let the lawyers know a room is available, too. Maybe a lawyer could use it sometime.

In general the world is becoming more accepting on nursing mothers! We're here! We're out and about. We're not going away!
i've got jury duty coming up on the 4th. it is good to hear that you were accomodated. i wish i could just bring ds with me and just feed him. although now that i think about it maybe i can... if dh comes to keep him until break time.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.