Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I was so suprised last week to find out I'm pregnant... I have a 10 month old and was not quite "ready" but have always been a firm believer than the best things in life are those we don't plan.

Today I had a sonogram to date the baby. I'm not sure when we conceived as I was nursing up until recently and was also taking the "camilla" pill (bc for nursing mamas) so I had no predictable periods to count on or even that I can remember. Well the pregnancy test both athome and at the doctors office came up positive so quickly the nurses and I thought I must be further along...maybe 8-10 weeks. This would also makes sense with conception as DH and I were active then. (I had other signs leading me to think I was further) So I had my snonogram today and there was no heartbeat...just a fetal pole amidst a tiny little yolk sac... I was expecting to see a little bean w/ a throbbing heart... it was dissappointing and scary to me to just see what looked like an empty hole. The Dr. said either I am VERY newly pregnant (approx. 5 weeks) or the baby has stopped growing. He told me to look for signs of miscarriage.... and I am scheduled for another sonogram to check for growth/heartbeat.

I guess I'm not asking anything specific here...maybe just reacing out to you all...maybe someone has a similar story with a happy outcome?

· Registered
525 Posts
Just wanted to say keep optimistic!
I had high HCG levels in the beginning with my first pregnancy , and when we did the quants they were in a high enough range that my OB was "sure" they'd see a heartbeat in a vaginal US. (I believe they say you can see a heartbeat after the quants reach over 2000, but I may be wrong) Anyway, my count was far over the "magic number" to probably see a heartbeat and I was only dated to b 5 1/2 weeks along. When we did the US we saw only a yolk sac, and I was devistated and thought something was wrong with the pregnancy ( I had a missed M/C that was detected at 9 weeks in a prior pregnancy and all that we saw on a U/S then was a yolk sac,so I though the same thing was going to happen again). Needless to say, I had a repeat U/S done two weeks later at 7 1/2 weeks ( my count was some ridiculous 35,000 or something) and there was my little gummy bear with a strong heart beat. What I'm trying to say is your pregnancy test could have been a strong + right away because you have strong horomones for this preg, but it's just not far along enough to see anything. Does this make sense? Oh yeah, and I didn't believe they had my conception date right either because I couldn't remember being intimate with my husband at the time they said it "happened", turns out it was like 4-5 days earlier than thier chart said, I guess his little sperms hung out for a while!
Try not to worry!

· Registered
2,177 Posts
I was 5w2d yesterday when I had my US and all we saw were the sacks. OB wasn't concerned, and said to come back in a week as 5.5w is just TOO early to see much of anything! So, when you go back, I'm sure you'll see your baby and heartbeat!

· Registered
11,514 Posts
I had an ultrasound at 5w2d because I had some bleeding. All we saw was a fetal pole and the doc told me that I had an anembryonic sac, which can't be if you have a fetal pole but that's another story, and might need a D&C. My baby is 11 months old now.

· Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you, Mamas... thank you for all of your positive thoughts and stories. On a more optomistic note than yesterday - my boobs have been really sore since last night which is a good sign...lol.. I'm going to think positively... it was the word "miscarriage" coming out of the mouth of a doctor that gave me such fear....but I'm going to trust my body right now and hope for the best.

Thank you, again...

· Registered
11,514 Posts
I forgot to mention that the reason the doc I saw told me that I had an anembryonic sac was because he thought I was 8w pg rather than 5w based on the medical pg wheel. I knew I was only 5w because I chart my BBT so I knew when I ovulated and conceived.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.