Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seriously...we cannot get ahead at all.

We were doing fairly well $$ wise...well then we find out DH has to have major lazer eye surgery...4 times at least.

He burns up ALL his paid time off doing the pre-op visits and then the first operation so with the 2nd operation he had to take a half day the day of surgery and then the following 2 days off work...with only enough PTO to cover about half of the half day.
: so the other days were without pay. He manages to fit in enough 'overtime' on Friday and Saturday to get up to 32 hours for insurance purposes...but we only have a 32 hour check...it's nearly $200 less than what we typically get. So we finish cleaning out savings and that leaves us with zero in savings.

Well problem 2 is, he has another surgery at the end of this month, and THEN he has to take off an entire week without pay because his factory is going on 'shut down' for the summer...so we have to use his bonus to put in savings to cover when he is on shut down...I was going to use part of it to pay a MDC mama for some stuff I bought and now I can't because we don't have a flipping dime to spare.
: Gotta PM her today.
:
:
:

And to top it all of...my deep dark secret...I had a medical bill I couldn't pay on, it went to collections, I tried to pay on it but we ran into $$ issues so I couldn't...well now they are taking me to freaking court unless I pay it and of course I don't have a freaking dime to pay them. I have to call them today and BEG them to let me pay $25 for now and then MAYBE we can handle $50 a month...not likely to happen.

This sucks...

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Just a thought but if the surgery is medically needed your DH should qualify for FMLA.... if the factory is shutting down he should qualify for unemployment...

sorry things are going poorly now... it can only get better

·
Registered
9,290 Posts
He'll be covered under FMLA, but that doesn't require the company to pay for it if out of sick time.

That sucks. Anyway you could schedule the surgery right before or during the shutdown so he doens't lose as much?

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The next surgery is right before shutdown, but he's going to require at least 1 more after this, possibly 2 or 3 because the dr can't do it all at once, his eye has to heal a bit between surgeries. I'll have him check into unemployement for shutdown, not sure what the rules are about that...

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JamesMama View Post
The next surgery is right before shutdown, but he's going to require at least 1 more after this, possibly 2 or 3 because the dr can't do it all at once, his eye has to heal a bit between surgeries. I'll have him check into unemployement for shutdown, not sure what the rules are about that...
My guess is it might not count, my dad's company shuts down for the week between Christmas & New Years and they just tell the staff that week counts toward one of their 2-3 weeks of vacation per year. If they choose to use their vacation during other times then it is unpaid. But they aren't being laid off so unemployment doesn't count.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If the collection company is telling you that they are going to sue you over a medical bill, they are lying. Between my mother's Melanoma and my Type 1 diabetes we have a lot of experiance with medical bills. They aren't going to sue you. If you can pay them like $10 a month, they will stay off your back.

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got served with the small claims papers and everything. We were able to pay for a whlie...and they stopped sending bills so I didn't know where to send it anyway...and then we got this.

Talked to DH, the factory keeps a couple plants open so they aren't completely shut down...Dh's plant is shut down...so we're just screwed..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.