Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was doing a little shopping for dd and I noticed the sign over the entrance to the fitting room said "Fitting Rooms and Nursing". I thought it was kind of cool, usually signs for rooms like that use some kind of euphmism, like "Family Lounge" or "Mother's Room" I like that they flat out referenced nursing. I don't worry that they expect you to use the rooms, because I have on more than one occasion plopped right down on the floor or in the little chairs they have and nursed her and no one has batted an eye.

·
Premium Member
34,292 Posts
Very nice!

·
Registered
943 Posts
I know that I've read some negatives about Motherhood Maternity around here (giving our names to formula companies, etc) but I was reassured when I was first nursing that they have signs in their dressing rooms that say, "Breastfeeding welcome here." I agree that I would nurse wherever, but their fitting rooms are nice and big and have big benches, so for a new mom, it's nice to have a little privacy sometimes

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
i think it's great, mainly because of what happened at Victoria's Secret. If it's labeled specifically for nursing, then there's no arguement-- if a mom wants to nurse there, she can. Is there someplace comfy to sit in there? I think that's very important to nursing rooms. If there's no place comfy to sit (or, as is not unheard of, noplace to sit at all!) then it becomes obvious it's a room for hiding nursing and not there for the mother's comfort. I'm assuming though that since they have been okay with NIP that they really do have the mother's best interest in mind, it's nice to see!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Thats nice. I actually do look for a nursing room or mothers lounge or family room when I nurse in public, well, with my youngest at least, because I had my oldest with too, and I needed somewhere I could keep him with me, because while he is a good child and listens very well, no 4 year old could sit on a bench for 15 or so minutes without wandering.
So it was nice for me to find a room to sit in and give big brother a snack and drink while baby brother nursed.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I am really glad to hear that BabyGap has a sign like that, especially because about seven years ago, my friend and I were shopping there and my friend sat down in one of the nice soft chairs they had out in the store, to nurse her son and was promptly told by a manager to go and nurse near the bathroom, where they had a hard wood chair, with no arms and was facing the wall, so that when people passed into the bathroom, they could not see what you were doing. I of course started to cause a big stink over this, however, my friend felt shamed and went to the cold chair in the corner, by the restroom. So I am really happy to hear that tey have changed their ways!

·
Premium Member
2,270 Posts
Those are so nice.... Some days DD gets so distracted, she keeps poping off, and the privacy and quiet of a nursing room would be nice.... Plus arm rests make this easier too.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Oh good! I noticed that in the Motherhood dressing rooms, too. Had never noticed it in a Gap before. Some of those stores are so small and crowded sometimes it's nice to have somewhere roomier to go.

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
I think that's wonderful! Personally I am glad to have the option of a nice semi-private place to sit and nurse my son. Of course sometimes I prefer to just nurse "where ever" and that's my right too. This is certainly a positive thing for many moms and babies. (Well, as long as they are not going to follow me around the shop "urging" me to use the room when I'd rather nurse in the sling while I peruse the racks
Actually we don't even have a Baby Gap but still . . . )

·
Registered
317 Posts
I really like those rooms and have used them! I don't have another nursling yet but when he/she gets here, I know I will need those rooms again b/c DS1 is not a child who will sit! *kinda like his antsy mommy*

And, the chairs are rather comfy too!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by intorainbowz View Post
Those are so nice.... Some days DD gets so distracted, she keeps poping off, and the privacy and quiet of a nursing room would be nice.... Plus arm rests make this easier too.
Agreed! I think its great that they have finally acknowledge that NIP is done, and are giving us the chance to have a quiet place if we want too.

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
That IS cool. Personally, while I'm not in the least bit shy, I love nursing rooms. Especially the ones at my local mall. Big cushy gliders, nice music, dimmed lights. I've dozed off in there on more than one occasion, in those sleep deprived early days when I'd go to the mall simply for a change of scenery. :p

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.