Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been wishing for a woodstove for a few years, and the past two weeks had me really pining for a Jotul. I'd gotten the newest brochures, but after discussing the $ with DH, we decided that we couldn't get one this year. We hated the thought of the propane bills this winter, but without the money to invest in a stove, we agreed to wait.

This morning, I opened to the classified section of our small town paper, thinking "Yeah, right -as if there would be a woodstove in there!" Well...first ad, first item...'Jotul Woodstove $150'.
I waited till 9am, and then called & found that the stove was still there & I could come & have a look at it. To my joy, when I arrived at the farm where it 'lived' (Ooh, how I wish I could have had the farm, too! It was beautiful!) it was the Jotul 3 that I had imagined sitting in our brick fireplace/hearth! Wheee! Another $10 secured the delivery of my little stove this week. The older couple who had it didn't use it the past two winters as the husband had back problems & couldn't chop, split & stack the wood anymore. It was stored in the mudroom, and as the flooring in the kitchen & mudroom was to be replaced, the wife wanted it out.

I am so excited! We still have to arrange to have it installed. Presently, we have a cast iron propane insert installed in the brick woodburning fireplace. We'll need to have the chimney inspected, I suppose, as well as new stovepipe & all of that. Gosh, fireplace acessories, a cord of wood, a cast iron kettle...

Still! It has a cooktop! Yay! http://www.jotul.us/content/products...e____3091.aspx

·
Registered
6,359 Posts
Yay for your new wood stove! Yes, having a cooktop is a nice insurance policy against icky weather. We haven't had to use ours yet as a cooktop, but we could.

Well, now isn't really the time to buy stovepipe - I think spring is a better time when things are on clearance. I think dh spent $700 on pipe for our second woodstove - although it does go up two stories outside our house. I'll have to ask him. If you need any advice about installing it and such, let me know and I can hook you up with him. He installed both our wood stoves and piping. He even hangs out on a fireplace/wood stove board I think.

But what I absolutely adore is the heat. During the winter when my mom visits, she says it's like summer up here. Because it's consistently 74*-82* indoors. My kids wear just underwear or diapers in the dead of winter, it's hilarious. Only drawback we've had is that the scent of woodsmoke lightly clings to everything towards the end of the season. Like when you pack an overnight/weekend bag, drive to your destination and open up the bag, whew, it surprised me the first time. But spring and summer air it all out for us - plus the cost of the wood is fabulous for us (dh goes out with some friends and cuts down dead trees on forest service land for $5/cord, it's great - and we're doing the forest service a favor).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.