Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
34,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He is driving me insane. He pesters and pesters and pesters, if he so much as bumps his toe, he yells like someone is performing a vivisection on him, he whines, he complains, and when I say, "Michael, be quiet, I need some space" HE DOESN'T STOP!!! He just keeps coming after me and yelling at me and hitting at me and whining at me and it just doesn't end. I am sickened by my response right now (Told him to shut up and get in his damned room) but I am equally sickened by this constant neverending whining. Why does he not get the point that sometimes I need space? Why won't he ever just give up?!?!!? In his room, he's still whining and talking to himself (loudly, so I can hear) "My mama doesn't like me anymore. No one understands me now that I'm in kindergarten." I feel like crap. You know what? I don't like him right now. I love him with all my heart, but I really don't like him much.<br><br>
Annette

·
Registered
6,123 Posts
<div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">
<div>Originally Posted by <strong>annettemarie</strong></div>
<div style="font-style:italic;">"Michael, be quiet, I need some space" HE DOESN'T STOP!!! He just keeps coming after me and yelling at me and hitting at me and whining at me and it just doesn't end.</div>
</td>
</tr></table></div>
My 3 yo (soon 4) TOTALLY does this. Yes, this is very, very hard. The important thing to remember (imo) is that when he is acting this way, he needs reassurance. He is literally begging for it. I know, oh boy do I know how irritating it is--and believe me, I've totally been where you were today and done/said similar things in response to this behavior, but asking for space when my child is acting in this super-needy driving me batty kind of way ALWAYS makes it worse. It always escalates if I try to get some space at that moment.<br><br>
When you see this behavior coming on and escalating--but before you feel like you are going to lose it--try getting him to a calmer space, and giving him your full attention. Maybe babying him a bit, rocking him on your lap. Rocking is calming, so that may help a lot. If he likes tight snuggles, hold him tightly to help calm him and reassure him, or wrap him up like a burrito in a special blanket. Then, when his is a bit calmer, offer a calming activity. Maybe puzzles if he likes them. Maybe a tub or water and some plastic cups and stuff in the big tub to limit the mess (water can be calming).<br><br>
Be sure to talk to him about the negative behaviors once he is calmer. Tell him which ones are inappropriate (yelling, hitting, etc), and give him better ways to let you know when he needs your attention. Maybe give him a sign that he can keep in his room that says "I need your attention, please", and let him know that you will honor that request ASAP when he brings it to you.

·
Premium Member
34,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Mama. You're observations are right on target.<br><br>
We've made up- both said sorry, both were forgiven- and hopefully it won't happen again.<br>
NAK<br>
Annette

·
Premium Member
34,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, just also realized I haven't taken my Zoloft for a week. Stupid, I know.<br><br>
Annette

·
Premium Member
2,605 Posts
Hey there<br>
I hear ya on the zoloft thing...I forgot to take mine everyday...I kept skipping days here and there and let me tell you the agitation is unbelievable. I was sooo irritable and I kept blaming it on my hormones. Once I got back on schedule, I felt like "me" again. Luckily my 5 year old is a POC but my two year old stepson isn't!<br><br>
the first mama to respond had great advice!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts