Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son is 3 (and 3 months), and boy, oh boy, does he loves his milkies.

He is still night nursing very frequently, and I have come to a place with it, that if he is asking for it (and he really does), then he must need it, on whatever level that is for him. Perhaps if I had another baby, I would have night-weaned him already, but he is my only child right now, and I am ok with honoring his needs (probably because he is respectful of my needs. i.e. he doesn't stay latched on all night
)

I am just curious, though, to hear from other mamas who did CLW at night....what ages did your children stop asking to nurse at night? When my son was a newborn, I would have never thought he would still be waking every 2-4 hours at night to nurse.
I guess I am just wondering what the average age of night weaning is for kids, because this is my only experience with it.

·
Registered
5,964 Posts
My 3.5 year old still wakes at least twice to nurse. (she used to stay latched on all night)
Her baby sister (14 months) sleeps straight through the night and has always been that way. So its not the same for all kids.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by WitchyMama2 View Post
My 3.5 year old still wakes at least twice to nurse. (she used to stay latched on all night)
Her baby sister (14 months) sleeps straight through the night and has always been that way. So its not the same for all kids.
Thanks! This is what I assumed (that it is different for every child, just like so many other things....). It really validates my own feelings about letting him night wean when he is ready. I seriously doubt I will have a 15 year old who is going to still want to nurse at night.

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
DS at some point started NOT wanting to nurse when he woke at night, just wanted me to pat his back for him to go back to sleep. I guess he was over 3 by then? I don't really remember. But the before bed/first in the morning nursings were the last to go, and he dropped the middle of hte night and the middle of the day nursings around the same time.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
mine (omg is she 3.75 already????) nurses to sleep most nights and almost always nurses at least once during the night, usually twice. if she doesnt nurse on waking, she usually nurses within 1-2 hours of waking.

we are at a good rhythm with this because hey - she no longer nurses every hour (as sometimes happened during growth-spurt times or who-knows-why times till she was 2 or so) and she just stays latched on as long as she is actually nursing and then rolls away as soon as she is done. i sometimes wonder if it will ever end but i also wonder how i will deal once it does. her recent illness left me grateful as ever that we were still nursing

·
Registered
651 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lennon View Post
My son is 3 (and 3 months), and boy, oh boy, does he loves his milkies.

He is still night nursing very frequently, and I have come to a place with it, that if he is asking for it (and he really does), then he must need it, on whatever level that is for him. Perhaps if I had another baby, I would have night-weaned him already, but he is my only child right now, and I am ok with honoring his needs (probably because he is respectful of my needs. i.e. he doesn't stay latched on all night
)

I am just curious, though, to hear from other mamas who did CLW at night....what ages did your children stop asking to nurse at night? When my son was a newborn, I would have never thought he would still be waking every 2-4 hours at night to nurse.
I guess I am just wondering what the average age of night weaning is for kids, because this is my only experience with it.
My son was the same at that age and since he is also my only I just kept going with it. To try to night wean would have been too much work!

He will be 5 in 2 months and now many nights sleeps through (8-10 hours) or at the most (unless he's sick) wakes once to nurse. I guess that's been happening gradually since he turned 4. It's absolutely astonishing to me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.