Mothering Forum banner

What style(s) of homeschooling do you most adhere to?

• Classical

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Relaxed Classical

Votes: 30 21.1%
  • Eclectic

Votes: 65 45.8%
  • Wardoff

Votes: 13 9.2%
  • Unschooling

Votes: 34 23.9%
  • Radical Unschooling

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • Relaxed Unschooling

Votes: 30 21.1%
  • Montessori

Votes: 7 4.9%
  • Traditional/Textbook and workbook based

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • Online and Computer Curriculum

• Charlotte Mason

• Other Literature Based

Votes: 15 10.6%
  • Unit Studies

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other

Votes: 4 2.8%
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No purpose for this other then curiosity as to what styles most mamas on the board these days fall into! You can pick more then one!!

Sure I missed something.....

·
Registered
663 Posts
We're transitioning from eclectic to unschooling right now. I think we are almost there, but we started out as a "school at home" type and have eased up from there as time went along when we started last year with dd1 for pre-k. I provide the workbooks and great literature, and then we jsut follow dd1 and dd2 on their interests and how much they want to do each day, whenever they want to. But I do try to look ahead a bit in our lesson materials so that I know beforehand what we're doing when they do ask to do math or something................. Not quite unschooling yet, but definitely relaxed eclectic.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
We're unschooling right now but I'm sure we'll head into a more eclectic style as the kids get older & dh starts to ask more questions. I'm not opposed to some parent-led instruction....as long as it's not forced & the kids seem interested. For now, though, we're definitely unschoolin' it & I love my life! I really hope dh come around.

·
Registered
19,261 Posts
Unschooling/CM

·
Registered
10,553 Posts
I think relaxed unschooler fits. They're learning...not as fast as the government would have them in the subjects they think they need, but they are learning and they are happy

·
Registered
6,188 Posts
In my house it depends on the child.
I checked off several of the above. We are ecclectic, workbook, unit studies, online/software, classical. Just a good mixture.

·
Registered
631 Posts
We're unschoolers, using the AmblesideOnline Charlotte Mason-based curriculum with a bunch of different academic programs and workbooks that the kids picked out. And we have a teenager in public high school.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Eclectic. We are not unschoolers and I schedule our school days. But we use a variety of curriculae, much I make up myself. Sometimes we do unit studies, sometimes we'll run with a child-led personal interest, workbooks are a part of our school day but not a large part.

I guess Traditional with a large helping of whatever works?

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by boigrrrlwonder View Post
What's the difference between a "relaxed unschooler" and an "unschooler"?
I have no real idea. I took it to mean someone who is unschooly, as opposed to a true"unschooler".

I must admit I like the term....I think there are many, many people who are not unschoolers in the pure sense, but who incorporate a lot of US ideas into their lives.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post
I have no real idea. I took it to mean someone who is unschooly, as opposed to a true"unschooler".

I must admit I like the term....I think there are many, many people who are not unschoolers in the pure sense, but who incorporate a lot of US ideas into their lives.
yay, I made the term up lol! It just seemed to fit, as there seem to be a lot of mamas around her who are middle of the road!

ETA: I guess I just thought if there are radical unschoolers, then there ought to be the opposite!

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
I'm kinda unschoolish with DD2 but much more textbook focused with DD1 (her choice) but I'm not fully unschooly because I do have some specific learning goals in mind for DD2 that arent' really HER goals, but approached from a very relaxed perspective: "I want you to learn Hebrew this year" not "You must do this Hebrew program 4 hours week."

So does that make me "eclectic"?

ETA: I voted :relaxed unschooling, eclectic, and "other literature based" because we do a LOT of reading around here!

·
Registered
9,202 Posts
I've heard of Waldorf and I've heard of Woo-dorf.

I'm teasin' ya.

We're a little Woo, a little rad, and a lot chillin' classical. We run with the wolves, make mudpies, we know what a predicate is.

We're basic awesome homeschoolers.

·
Registered
6,792 Posts
eclectic/relaxed unschooler/Montessori/textbook and workbook based

We're all over the place.

Eclectic/unschooler by philosophy and practice, with some Montessori and workbooks thrown in because they really appeal to dd.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Definitely very eclectic. Definitely not any one particular curriculum or style. A little montessori, a little waldorf, a little unschooling, a few random fun workbooks here and there for a change of pace...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.