Mothering Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>Hi all,</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I am 39 years old and have a 7 year old DD. I have had one miscarriage. I take Paxil and my last pregnancy I had gestational diabetes.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I'm not sure if any of this makes me high risk, but I am wondering how soon I need to go and see my doctor. I am only 4 weeks and a few days pregnant, and I didn't really see a need to get to the doctor ASAP, however hubby disagrees.</p>
<p> </p>

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
<p>I call and make an appointment right away because the birth center I go to is always booked at least a month out. You definitely want to be sure it's okay to continue the Paxil during pregnancy.</p>

·
Registered
661 Posts
<p>I just called when the home test was positive, they reviewed my meds over the phone and made the appointment for when they usually do, which was 10 weeks I think.</p>

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<p>Thanks. I figured 10 weeks was about right. But I'll call and make sure.</p>

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
<p>Once you've checked to see the meds are ok they'll probably want to see you around 10-12 weeks if everything is going smoothly up til then. Best to check with a few midwives and/or doctors before then to find out who you like first, schedule interviews at your earliest convienance. Before having any kind of first visit physical exam check on things like if they seem competent, if they show you respect, if you're comfortable with how they approach things, how medical they like to make the average pregnancy and birth, c section rates and such.</p>

·
Premium Member
14,501 Posts
<p>I also suggest calling to let them know you are pregnant, ask about the med and schedule your first PP visit.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>You don't have to schedule it for right away, as a matter of fact you can ask how long you can wait before they require one (for example, AMA mommies go in I think around 12 weeks to have their quad screen done) but getting your name down does for the most part secure your spot in their practice</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I had to call my midwife by 6 weeks even though i did not meet her until 15 and did not see her regularly until 30... due to her being where we moved. Had I waited until the move, she would have been booked up (she ended up having 4 babies born that week... she usually only schedules that many per month!)</p>

·
Registered
997 Posts
<p>I am 40 and called when I got the positive test.  They had me come in the next day and do a test.  Then the nurse ran down the basic dos and don'ts and made my 8 week appt.  Then they called me at homelater in the day  when they realized I was 40 (apparently they didn't look at my birthdate) and had me come in the next day for an US and then another 2 weeks after that to check for viability since I was AMA *LOL*  So I would call and give them a heads up and at least start the ball rolling.</p>

·
Registered
346 Posts
<p>When I found out I was pregnant I went right to the doctor to figure out how to get off my Paxil safely.</p>
<p>It's ok in early pregnancy, but less safe in second and third trimester, is what I've heard. If you take it in third trimester, the baby can end up similarly dependent on it. When I missed a dose, I would get kind of anxious and twitchy, and the doctor explained to me that the baby would be born feeling that way if it was "given" Paxil for its entire gestation and then had to go without as soon as it was born.</p>
<p>It's also really important not to go off cold turkey! There is some controversy about this, but many people say it can mess with your hormones to go off too quickly.</p>

·
Registered
255 Posts
<p>Normally i would wait until 8-12w before calling however I had a miscarriage in May and i was told to call the clinic as soon as i get the BFP and they'll send me for blood work just to make sure numbers are what they should be and had an early u/s done all before i would have even been to my first prenatal appointment had i not had the loss..I would also want to check out the safety of the meds as well...</p>

1 - 9 of 9 Posts