Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! My 23 mos old is really getting into the potty thing -- we've only had one wet diaper in the last few days, and although he won't tell me when he needs to go, he goes when put on the potty. BUT, we are just about to go on a road trip to B.C., which will be about 23 hrs of driving. We'll be using gas station bathrooms and the like, and staying with people who don't have toddlers (ie - no little potty). So, do i buy one of those little seats to go on top of the regular toilet seat and hope for the best, or should I also bring our little potty? I"m just trying to pack light, KWIM?

Also, any hints about potty learning while travelling? I'm expecting us to take a few steps back, but how can I maintain some of our momentum?

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Honestly, I'd buy a portable potty seat, or take along the one you already have. Just to keep thing simple, although you can use this as an opportunity to get him more used to the concept of going outside his comfort zone. Just make sure to stop at about the same interval of time that you're used to putting him on the potty, & of course ask him now & again out of the usual time frame if he has to go. We usually have quite a few times when the kid says she needs to go when she really doesn't, but I'd rather deal with that than the other way around!

·
Registered
4,626 Posts
We take the portable seat with us. If you have a potty he likes, just bring that. Also, with little boys, the public restrooms aren't so bad....we used to hold him over the toilet to pee and say "ready, aim, fire!" LOL he loved that!

·
Registered
5,986 Posts
We always travel with both. The kind you can fit onto a regular potty and we have a little pig potty. Be forewarned though your 23 hour trip may turn into a 46 hour trip if your dc likes to pee as much mine do on road trips.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Hi Jilly!
We just went through this with dd when we traveled for the weekend for a wedding... I almost forced her back to diapers for the trip and I'm glad that I didn't.

We keep a little potty in the back of the car for the 'just in case stuff' and otherwise we just stopped every few hours for a break. When we stopped I always just took her into the restroom and sat her down on the potty. The first time she went I told her what a great job she did and gave her a little treat. She was happy to try to go at every stop from then on!

At the hotel I just set her little potty on the floor in the bathroom and she used it.

She really exceeded my expectations..... it might go better than you think!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.