Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
3,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My stomach is totally tensed up as I write this. I also just woke up so my thoughts are kinda broken and scattered.

I just had a nasty phone conversation call from my midwife office (not from my midwife, or any of the doctors, but from the appt setter? I'll call her "T"), but from the because, according to her, I hadn't been coming in for care!?

First of all, my husband usually sets up all of my appointments for me; well, there's not much for him to "set up" because as I go into the office they set up another one for me, and he is always there with me, and he makes sure the next one is on one of his days off. He works, I don't. It's important to him to come with me because he is better at driving those distances than I am, and. helps keep the 3yo under control and everything when I'm having my appt. I signed a paper and everything allowing them to be able to talk to my husband about my appointments and any of my care, so it has never been a problem.

My midwife practices in two towns. One is closer to us but it's not in the best of locations. The other one was nicer and a little bit of a distance, and we usually choose to visit the nicer one, because it's really not all that far.

Ok, at the distant location, they were moving from their office into a different, larger office in town. They were in the process of moving; i think it was their last day on the day I went in in June, and by the time I had finished my appointment that day, they had cleaned everything out of the waiting room, and were heading to the new place to reopen a couple days later.

Ok. My last appt was in the end of June. On that day, they set up my next appointment for the end of July, on the 22nd. My husband usually keeps my appointment cards in his wallet to be sure of when those dates are when he goes to work to make sure he has those days off. Well he end up misplacing my appointment card, but we knew the day was coming. The appointment card is not very important, just a little reminder, and they usually call us to confirm our appointment before hand anyway. Sometime in mid July, well before my pending July appointment, he called the office check and see when the exact date of my appointment was. They looked and looked and they said they couldn't find when my appointment was. So they set me up another one, for August the 25th. He asked to make sure they didn't have one earlier than that. They said they didn't, so they set me up for August 25th, and told me that if I had any kind of problems whatsoever to call and they'd get me in earlier.

Well, I haven't had any problems, so I hadn't called.

Friday they left a voicemail for me. And my husband called them back today, since he figured it was going to be just something to do with an appointment change or something.

Well, "T" wouldn't even talk to my husband, and sounded like something was horribly wrong when my husband called her, but wouldn't tell him anything. I understand the laws and stuff, but I already signed a paper saying they could talk to him about this stuff. I thought the paper said everything, they could talk to him about. Maybe it just said appointments? I don't know. The fact that T wouldn't tell him anything combined with the way he said her voice sounded made him think something was horribly wrong with us, me or the baby. He told T that he'd have me call back when I woke up. But when he hung up he woke me up right away to call her back because the more he thought about it, the more concerned he got.

Well, T wanted to get an attitude with me because she wanted to know where and with whom I was receiving prenatal care!
: I told her I was going mainly to South Hill, and I told her my midwife's name. Then she said, well, you haven't been here since June! and that I didn't show up for my July 22nd appointment.

I told her that we called in mid July to confirm exactly when my July appointment was, and no one knew when it was, and so they said must have lost it in the move, and they set me up at the next available one in August.

She was going to get an attitude with me because I'm not supposed to go that long betweeen appointments. Mind you I had was still in bed when my husband brought me the phone to call her back, so my thoughts are completely scattered and I'm confused. But I'm pissed. Everytime I tried to explain something to her, she would cut across me with another question. Like I was stupid or something, or like I was just trying to skip out on my prenatal appointments.

I tell her that they were the ones who didn't know when my July appt was, and they were the ones that set me up for the appointment all the way in August, not me. And that they were the ones who told me to call if I had any other problems before that, and I didn't have any, so I didn't call. I asked her what the attitude with me was for?

She slowed it down to a crawl, took control of her demeanor and told her she wasn't getting an attidude (so I guess I was just delusional
and went into this whole ridiculous speal about how they were just "concerned about the bayybee. Etc etc etc."

By the end of the phone conversation, she admitted she didn't understand what happenned, and set me up for another appointment for at the end of the day.

Basically, she wanted to bully me because she thought I had decided not to receive prenatal care. I want to tell them when I go in today, my prenatal care is MY BUSINESS. No one elses. I can see whoever I want to. I can see no one at all. And basically, I believe that T got an attitude with me because she thought I had decided not to receive prenatal care anymore or something (didn't she see the appointment I had scheduled for August?) and so she thought that gave her a right to speak to me the way she did.

My thoughts are still very scattered right now. I'm still trying to shake the sleepiness and pissyness from my brain. But I think I'm going to find some where else to go from here on out...
: Ugh.

· Registered
27,266 Posts
When you go to your midwife suggest that she speak to the office manager because the staff lost paperwork during the move and is trying to blame the patients for the resulting problems.

The appointment was for July 22, and T was just now calling you about it? What a UAV.

· Registered
2,896 Posts
Ugh. Jr. Chipmunks on power trips are really annoying.

I think you need to call the office and ask to talk to your mw or the office manager. I wouldn't leave a practice because of one surly appointment-maker (assuming you're happy with the docs/midwives), but I would make darn sure her boss knew what kind of service this employee was providing. It's possible others have had problems with her, too, and they need to know about it. If you're not sure who to report her to, just ask the nurses. Tell them you had a bad experience with an office worker, and ask who is in charge of the support staff. If T is in charge of the staff, then talk to your mw... actually, make sure you tell your mw no matter what. She needs to know, too. I would also follow up with a formal letter of complaint.

I hope they react with appropriate apologies and you have a great appointment.

· Registered
2,675 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by gabysmom617 View Post
Who would I report her too? The doctor? I want to have a little "chat" with her superiors about her, but I thougth she was the superior...so I dunno...maybe I should find this out today?
Unless she owns the clinic she has to answer to someone.

· Registered
3,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I called and talked to the office manager. Apparently, T was upset not with me, but with the person who told my husband an August Apt was ok with them. According to the OM, they had some staff changes or something, and a couple people who were doing the appointments haven't been doing their jobs correctly or something, I guess, and T was upset about that, and it came off sounding like it was against me, according to the OM, because T had been in her office after she talked to me on the phone this morning, complaining about the people making the appointments.

She said she'd talk with T about making sure her irritation doesn't come off sounding directed at the patient. She took my discussion very serious, and I'm generally happy with her handling of it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.