Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... that it takes more than just information to change someone's mind (about anything, not just circ), it takes a paradigm shift.

Hopefully the information will cause one but it's never a guarantee... It was a paradigm shift for me that I could option out of circing my son. That other boys weren't circed. I had to see it for it to hit me, for me to internalize it. I read on random boards that some boys weren't circed but that was as weird and freaky to me as a toddler nursing. I never had ideas that an uncirced penis was bad or dirty, I just had no experience with the concept that you COULD not circumcize. It was like questioning your breath... it just IS, and that's it.

So I guess my request is to try not too be to harsh on mothers who choose to circ... culturally, socially, it is all they know... and the idea that they are causing irreparable harm does not enter their minds. It is not just a lack of information because we know that more and more boys are not getting cut, but a lack of individual paradigm shift for the parents, in time to save the precious foreskins. It is like telling them the sky is purple and expecting them to believe your evidence.

For those parents who research circ and still choose to do it... I wonder if the decision is not based on fear. Go with what you know... go with the majority... err on the 'side of caution' as they know it, and try to avoid the 'risks' of not circing. Much like vaxxing out of fear, which is probably the biggest and only reason anyone circs. Fear that their child could be exposed, get the disease, get a bad case of it, and have the worst side effect, death. My aunt and I have talked about pertussis vax several times- she believes her children to be fully protected despite what I tell her about the inefficacy of the vaccine... she chooses to believe waht she 'knows' to be true, to continue to parent in the way she thinks is right. Challening that requires her to admit she is ignorant, admit she was wrong, admit that she did not do her research, etc. No one wants to be wrong!

Just a late night ramble... with no real point.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
Kristina, the thing that will make this work is mothers seeing other mother's sons that are happy and healthy, intact and whole. The mothers of today are basing their beliefs on men they have been intimate with and grew up with and those men reflect the circumcision rates of 25-30 years ago. It's what they see as normal but what they have seen is outdated. By seeing new Mommies and their sons who are intact, that will replace what they see as normal. Then they come here and learn why it is normal.

We are making great progress. In just a dozen years, the circumcision rate has dropped almost 50% and half of that time, the internet was not widely available for accurate, up-to-date information. as the rate drops below 50%, I think you will see the intact percentage escalate rapidly as more parents see reason to question the surgery on a newborn. We are the vanguard of that change!

Frank

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
In the last year and a half, I have given birth to a son who has not nor will be circumcised and convinced 3 (for sure, maybe more) other families not to circumcise any future sons. All of them with circumcised husbands/fathers and circumcised older sons.

I totally agree that it takes a paradigm shift. And also, when you have made that shift it is impossible to see routine infant circumcsion as anything other than mutilation with no consent from the one being mutilated
If we can get to some sort of critical mass RIC will stop in the US, I feel certain.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
Monica, we have helped hundreds of mothers make that change right here plus more well beyond this discussion board by mothers telling mothers who tell mothers and so on.

The hardest part is getting over our trepidation to say something. Once we clear that obstacle a few times, it becomes much easier.

Frank

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
"We are the vanguard of that change!"

I change my DS's diaper in front of people every time I can... not only do they see that cloth is easy to "deal with" they also see an intact penis. Lots of people have questioned my cloth, no one has asked about the beautiful state of my son's intact, never retracted penis... but at least they're seeing it!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.