Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've posted this before and wanted to post it again for anyone who didn't see it. As a preface, I have no interest in this company or this product other than being a customer.

Ava had the worst, most awful diaper rash for more than 5 months. Open sores, skin looking like burns, bumps, etc. etc. Really bad. We did months of different diets, went to an allergist, a homeopath, a holistic MD. Tried every natural diaper creme and concoction we heard of. Resorted to cortisone which helped but only for short periods of time.

Finally tried a cream called Triple paste. It's available at some pharmacies/drug stores and can be special ordered. I got it at Walgreens thru special order and the last time I just bought it online (www.anyotc.com). Anyway, can't explain why since it has the same ingredients as many other creams but this stuff really, really works. And I am telling you, we must have tried 30 different brands of creams from the most natural to the most medical. This is really unbelievable.

One warning - if you cake it on, it gets on cloth and is hard to get off although a wash with Dawn works. But I use only a little bit and rub it in, and it's fine with the cloth.

Just wanted to mention it in case anyone could benefit from the recommendation. I know how much we both suffered from the constant rash, I hate to think of others dealing with it too.

Lori

·
Registered
94 Posts
Lori-
what is in this triple paste? I make my own homemade paste (which is also called triple paste) because of the same things you mentioned Ava having, my Maegan had. I make mine out of hydrocortisone, bacitracin and micatin. Just curious what's in yours, I didn't know you could buy it ready made. And it is VERY expensive to make it myself- how much does yours cost? It costs me about $9 to make just a few ounces.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Erin-

Here is a link to it - Triple Paste

The really nice thing is it has NO hydrocortisone. I was really worried about the long term effects of the cortisone cream, and this is cortisone-free.

The ingredients are: zinc Oxide 11.6%In Active Ingredients:
White Petrolatum,Corn starch,anhydrous lanolin,stearyl alcohol,white beeswax,cholesterol,Polysorbate 80.

I know it has similar ingredients to other stuff (vaseline, aquaphor, desitin, burt;s bees, waleda, etc. etc.) but none of that worked and even seemed to make it worse.

It also says on it (kinda neat!): "At night, use a double layer of soft cotton diapers, loosely pinned. "

·
Registered
94 Posts
I know! I saw that "soft cotton diapers" part
Made me smile!
I guess I wasn't aware that cortisone had long term affects, guess I'll have to look into it. I discovered my concoction when M was getting such bad newborn rashes and she would literally freak out (we're talking holding her breath, worst baby crying I've ever experienced in my life!) when I put desitin on her bum. I've tried the Boudreaux's butt paste, but it doesn't work near as well and i hate the smell of it. I just might have to buy a tub of yoru triple paste. Thanks so much for posting this!

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
I have tried that! Dr gave me a sample. I have actually had better luck with Butt Balm. It is lanolin based, so it works like nipple ointment & protects awsome!

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Diaper_Addict_Jen
I have tried that! Dr gave me a sample. I have actually had better luck with Butt Balm. It is lanolin based, so it works like nipple ointment & protects awsome!
Tried it, lol. And also tried lanolin straight. Didn't work for us but I am glad it did for you!!

·
Registered
10,292 Posts
We use the triple paste on Sarah's open sores at night. While NOTHING heals them, the TP creates the beat barrier I have found. Erin, I pay about $30 per pound. It is expensive and we use a lot every night but I have not found another barrier that works as well.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Butt Balm:
Anhydrous Lanolin, Vasoline, Mineral Oil
Active Ingredients: Zinc Oxide and thimerosal

Butt Paste:
Ingredients and Features

Zinc Oxide 16%, Peruvian Balsam, Castor Oil, Mineral Oil, Boric Acid 0.3%, White Wax, Petrolatum.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Diaper_Addict_Jen
Butt Balm:
Anhydrous Lanolin, Vasoline, Mineral Oil
Active Ingredients: Zinc Oxide and thimerosal

Butt Paste:
Ingredients and Features

Zinc Oxide 16%, Peruvian Balsam, Castor Oil, Mineral Oil, Boric Acid 0.3%, White Wax, Petrolatum.

Thimerosal? Is that not the stuff they took out of vacc's b/c of the mercury??

Lori

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
He called back. He said the thimerisol is an anti-fungal/anti-biotic. That is the ingredient that actually heal the wounds. It has less than 1% of 1/1000 ratio.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
I agree that Triple Paste is wonderful.

Weird about the thimerosal... that is what was in vax wasn't it? IIRC I think they used to put thimerosal in contact lens solutions... is this the same stuff? Jen, what did the guy say about that?

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pb_and_j
IIRC I think they used to put thimerosal in contact lens solutions... is this the same stuff? Jen, what did the guy say about that?
He didn't specifically say anything about contact solution, but that many other products have removed it due to the consumer fear of it, even though it has healing properties.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts