Mothering Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i was at a mommy group today its not all breastfed babys, children but love the outing with ds and i was bf. a little girl 3 years old came up to me and asked me what i was doing i said feeding my baby she said you dont have a bottle i was quite for a second then said i dont need a bootle to feed ........her mother grabbed her and said dont look at her as in me feeding and went on the other side of the gym im so sad its not a thing you hide what harm would it have done to edgucate her a little .................................................. .................................................. ............im sad becouse this is the second time i get a coment there so now i dont want to go back i let people give babys formula and dont give conflict whats the problem anyway needed to get this off my back thanks for listening

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I'm sorry the mama was so rude. I also feel sad for the girl too, I have had several nieces and nephews come up to me while nursing and ask what I was doing too, or where the bottle is, and I always feel a little sad for them. Anyway, sorry the other mama made you feel uncomfortable for doing the best thing for your child.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Sorry for you too and for the child. Some people are so narrow minded and judgemental. She probably heard you say you dont need a bottle and may have thought you were gonna start in on how bf is the way babies are supposed to eat(which she probably did not want her child knowing). Sad. Sounds like someone was a bit defensive without even knowing what you were gonna say.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i talked to the ministers wife she has the play group about the 2 incidents i had and she said well maybe bf in the playgroup will have to stop becouse it makes a confusion on the kids
: anyway im not going back i think instead of not allowing it they can edjucate bf or just ignore it its the best thing for a baby anyway life works like that i guess so sad thanks mommys

·
Premium Member
34,292 Posts
Wouldn't your pastor's wife response be a blatent violation of Canadian law?

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
Woah, im so sorry that there are pastor's wives out there saying stupid things like that!!!! geez, "confusion"--- uhhhh good thing i wasnt there! I'd tell her about confusion alright

Maybe bfing should stop?? uhhh yeah, and the bottlefeeding too, right? since we all know babies dont NEED to eat?!!!

~L

·
Premium Member
9,311 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by annettemarie
Wouldn't your pastor's wife response be a blatent violation of Canadian law?

Yeah, a direct violation of Canadian Human Rights...what should happen is the pastor's wife should post a copy of the breastfeeding law or pass out a copy to everybody.

...It really bugs me when ministers/pastors say this kind of thing..I mean what do they think Jesus drank?

·
Premium Member
34,292 Posts
Wine?

OK, seriously, as a pastor's wife, I would like to remind everyone that we are not all idiots. :LOL

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Quote:

Wine?

OK, seriously, as a pastor's wife, I would like to remind everyone that we are not all idiots. :LOL
My pastor and his wife are supportive of my bf! She nursed her babes who are now in their 20s and 30s.

mommy love- it's sad that the other mom acted that way. My kids love to see other babies/kids nurse! But then again, dd has lovely memories of being nursed until she quit at 20 months and ds is still nursing at 26 months.

I feel bad for kids who don't even realize that breasts can make milk. Ya know?

·
Registered
10,797 Posts
Im sorry this happened to you
But there is a great Advocacy opportunity here...
I like the idea of printing out the laws about bf and passing them onto the pastors wife. You never know what could happen - even it opens ONE mama's eyes it would be great!

·
Premium Member
9,311 Posts
Quote:

Wine?

...(if you mean as an infant, he must have been a happy baby!)

Oh, I know...but when they are it's very disappointing...guess we expect a higher standard kwim...maybe a little unfair but it's a throwback to the old days when the minister was the centre of the community and his wife as well.

·
Premium Member
34,292 Posts
OMGoodness, I certainly hope no one is holding me to a higher standard just because I am sleeping with the pastor! :LOL

No, I know what you mean. I am constantly amazed at how... I don't know, deferential? weirded out? people are when they find out who I am married to. Luckily, I have been able to use my power for good- several mamas and grandmas have bought slings!

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Oh- I wanted to add... someone in our church at one time mentioned to my pastor that he/she was "uncomfortable" with me nursing ds during church, so I copied some Biblical information about breastfeeding and wrote a letter that included some of my favorite of the "101 Reasons to BF". I just gave them the information and told them to share it with that other person as they felt led to... and also said I would continue to nurse as usual.
(BTW, I attempt to be discreet, it's my way)

Here's some links:
http://www.texas-midwife.com/breastfeeding.htm
http://www.new-life.net/feeding.htm
http://www.kellymom.com/handouts/aap-bfpolicy05.pdf

·
Registered
809 Posts
I'm sorry this happened to you! I really like the pamphlet idea!! If you don't feel comfortable doing it alone I'm sure there are BF mamas in your area willing to help! I wish I were there,I'd give the whole group a piece of my mind

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thankyou so much mamas im going to do the pamphalit idea although there is not much bf mamas here that i am close with my sister is going to come with me just for saport you all are awesome truly dont know what id do without you all its so nice to have such good saport and all the ideas that my little head doesent think of :LOL ill be going to see the pasters wife tonight at 6
m ill get back to you.......thank you mams

·
Registered
10,142 Posts
And just think...you have taught that young girl that breastfeeding is normal. Maybe she will breastfeed her baby one day, because of your healthy, normal example to her. Keep nursing!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts