Mothering Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry... you have to put up with my silly questions *at least* until I have this baby

Do you think the reason your nipples get reeeeeeeally sensitive at the end of pg is to discourage any stimulation of them or is it just a hormonal thing that does that? I'm sorry if that sounds really silly... but as a doula I've had a lot of people say that they are super sensitive (usually this comes up when we are discussing options to a pitocin induction and I mention nipple stimulation) and mine feel the same way (really sensitive to even the smallest touch).

Just wondering...

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
this will probably not answer your question... but I have never had sore nipples except for in the first weeks of being pregnant...
(nursed through two of them)

·
Registered
16,116 Posts
Interesting thought. Could be. Probably it is related, but just another effect of the hormones, and preperation for the body to breastfeed.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Hmm, interesting - I really *want* my nipples stimulated at the end of pregnancy - like I crave it. Wonder if that is due to the fact that I need the stimulation for oxytocin production?

Then if your body is planning on blowing your baby out like yours did - maybe it wants to discourage stimulation? :)

·
Premium Member
15,078 Posts
Mine always get very sensitive, but not in a bad way. I think it is just hormones. As for nipple stimulation, I can always make BH contractions, but it has never helped with "real" contractions.

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
My personal theory is that it is to encourage weaning of another child that may still be nursing so that full body attention may be turned to the new baby.

(FTR, I do not support forced-weaning at all - my daughter self-weaned and nursed through 1.5 pregnancies. There's a lot of biology we resist! I mean, we wear clothes and are often monogamous, after all)

Natural child spacing is around 2.5 years, and I note that MOST mothers of 2.5 year olds find they rarely nurse by that point... so, I personally think this is nature's way of giving you 3/4 of a year to wean your current nursling.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2bluefish
Hmm, interesting - I really *want* my nipples stimulated at the end of pregnancy - like I crave it. Wonder if that is due to the fact that I need the stimulation for oxytocin production?

Then if your body is planning on blowing your baby out like yours did - maybe it wants to discourage stimulation? :)
Good point!

littleteapot: interesting theory!

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
Hm, i guess I'll see how it goes then. Nothing so far, but it could happen. (woohoo, isn't pregnancy fun? Your body does all kinds of crazy stuff! I keep having a craving for the smell of shoes!)

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mommyleslie
Like 2bluefish I "needed" my nipples stimulated through this whole pregnancy, it' s like sex wasn't sex unless they were stimulated.
EXACTLY! I would actually get turned off if they didn't get attention!

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Hehe, that just reminded me of something I overheard dh telling his mom - "mom she was carrying on like she was having the world's biggest orgasm or something!"

It wasn't as comfortable as sex, but it was definately satisfying!

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I like nipple stimulation in early, mid and late pg... but just not the very last week or two.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2bluefish
Hehe, that just reminded me of something I overheard dh telling his mom - "mom she was carrying on like she was having the world's biggest orgasm or something!"
To his MOM?? wow...at least they have open communication....?
My dp would never utter such words to his mom...lol then again he doesnt much at all to her

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.