Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What to make?
:

Right now I have a chuck roast thawing. I don't know what the heck to do with a chuck roast

I was a veggie for about 8 years, so I have been warming up to beef over the past few years, but I am by no means a proficient in cooking it.Please help! I've got some beets to fry up, and salad to go along with. Or some zucchini's. Give me suggestions for cooking it please!

For the record, we don't have a grill yet, but I can assure you we will be getting one very very soon

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Chuck roast needs slow, wet cooking. It's great for pot roast. I do it in a crock pot. Expect it to take a good 6-8 hours in a crock pot, less in an oven, but you can't rush the cooking on cuts like chuck or rump roast because they'll be too tough. Cook until fork tender. Sorry, don't have time for more specific instructions, but a search should turn up good recipes.

·
Registered
7,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
drats
maybe i'll use my ground beef tonight for burgers and have the chuck roast tommorow for lunch

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
When I do a chuck roast (or rump, or blade, or similar cut), I trim the fat, cut it in largish chunks, then sear it in a hot cast iron pan. Then I take it off the heat, put whole baby carrots, a handful of smallish red potatoes, (or larger cubed potatoes), onion (usually in large chunks), maybe some celery. Season with garlic powder (unless you put fresh garlic in with the other veggies), salt, pepper, parsley, oregano, or whatever. Add maybe 1/2 to 1 cup water or broth, depending on how soupy you like things.

I bake it in the oven for at least 2 hours, sometimes as long as 4 or 5 (depends on if I get sidetracked!) in a 300F oven.

It comes out tender and flavorful every. single. time. I've made it this way a lot. Or else I do all the same prep work and throw it in the crockpot all day on low. Never fails. But you MUST do a long slow moist cooking, or else it will be tough.

If there are leftovers, I either use them in sandwiches, or make a veggie/ beef soup.

Let me know if you need more help with this.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
here is a recipe I recently fell in love with,
first take the roast ina large pan, preferably one you can later stick in the oven but if you don't have one that can, just xfer everything

beef roast
olive oil
5 garlic cloves crushed
1-2 tsp allspice berries crushed
1 tsp fennel seeds crushed
1 cup dry red wine
1-2 rosemary sprigs
1/4 cup beff broth
2 med onions cut
plenty of carrots

1 heat pan with olive oil, braise the roast in the pan, braising is where you brown all sides on med high heat about 4-5 mins each side, this does make some smoke so make sure the area is ventilated, once completed remove beef, set aside on plate

2 add chopped garlic to pan with allspice berries (crushed) and fennel seeds(crushed) saute for min
pour in red wine scrape up bits left in pan, add rosemary, beef broth, then add beef back into pan, bring to simmer, top with onions, cover tightly and xfr to oven

3 add carrots, and any other veggies you wantt o add and depending on size of roast to how long cook, I usually cook it for 45 min to hour for one that is around a lb

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi,

Congratulations on your grass fed beef! Grass fed can be a bit different as far as cooking goes than your average store-bought beef. In general, it needs less cooking time to avoid becoming dry as it tends to be much leaner. Also, if your beef was aged, it will greatly improve the flavor and texture. Our GFB provider makes sure his is dry-aged a minimum of 18 days and it vastly improves the flavor. Hopefully this was the case with yours.

We get our beef from Alderspring Ranch here in Idaho. If you go to their website, www.alderspring.com and then pick "Cooking with Caryl," it will take you to a lot of instructions and recipes specifically for cooking with GFB. She has it organized by cut, so when you get down to the end of your cow and are wondering what the heck to do with a brisket, you'll know!

HTH,
Krista

·
Registered
7,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwillmorth
Hi,

Congratulations on your grass fed beef! Grass fed can be a bit different as far as cooking goes than your average store-bought beef. In general, it needs less cooking time to avoid becoming dry as it tends to be much leaner. Also, if your beef was aged, it will greatly improve the flavor and texture. Our GFB provider makes sure his is dry-aged a minimum of 18 days and it vastly improves the flavor. Hopefully this was the case with yours.

We get our beef from Alderspring Ranch here in Idaho. If you go to their website, www.alderspring.com and then pick "Cooking with Caryl," it will take you to a lot of instructions and recipes specifically for cooking with GFB. She has it organized by cut, so when you get down to the end of your cow and are wondering what the heck to do with a brisket, you'll know!

HTH,
Krista

thanks!
and thanks to everyone else!

So I think grassfed beef will certinly make me a proficient
Wouldn't want to waste or ruin good meat! I guess it's time to roll up my sleeves and hit the cookbooks.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jrayn
1 heat pan with olive oil, braise the roast in the pan, braising is where you brown all sides on med high heat about 4-5 mins each side,
Braising refers to the whole process of first browning and then slow, wet cooking of meat, not just the browning part.

·
Registered
13,099 Posts
We have a friend who saves all the good cuts for himself and sells us all the ground.

We had almost 100lbs of it but its amazing how fast a family of 5 can go through it. We use about 2 lbs at a time.

Enjoy

·
Registered
7,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pandora114
Send some up to me!!!

mmmmmMMmmmm COW

I want a Brisket!
see, I can't recall ever having had a brisket
At least, not knowingly. I am digging some apricot bricket recipes I saw though.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Quote:
braising is where you brown all sides on med high heat about 4-5 mins each side
Actually, braising is a process of slow moist cooking in a little bit of liquid, in order to break down proteins and create tender meat. What you are referring to is searing.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MissinNYC
Actually, braising is a process of slow moist cooking in a little bit of liquid, in order to break down proteins and create tender meat. What you are referring to is searing.

your right, I got my terms mixed up, it is a little of both, first sear it then braise it

·
Banned
6,717 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Leilalu
see, I can't recall ever having had a brisket
At least, not knowingly. I am digging some apricot bricket recipes I saw though.
Lets just say I have a Charcoal BBQ, Some Montreal Steak Spice, and some hickory Chips with a nice AAA Angus Brisket's name on it. hehehe

mmm....

6hrs on the BBQ, getting all smokey good then another 4hrs in the oven..

OMG

*Dies*

Now if I can only find the AAA Angus Brisket I'll be all set...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts