Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
I am so glad that you posted again! I read your previous posts and was very concerned.

I have been on Zoloft (also a SSRI) myself and felt it working in less than 24 hours.

Please let us know how you are doing!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for caring. I couldn't find this thread
: . The prozac started helping really soon and now most of the time I am not really crazy. It helped a lot. I still have hours that I wish some one could lock me up and fix my head. It gets really scary. I love my kids and wish it wasn't this way. I get so scared I'm going to hell--literally....right that moment. It seems really real and intense sometimes. Guilt that tears me to ribbons. And not having a reason to live except knowing that if I die God will send me to hell. I know that my husband would be better off without me and that I'm ruining ds 's life. It sounds so crazy when I write about it but it seems so logical when I experience it. I saw a psycologist b/c I was scared that I was psychotic. She said it was just really severe ppd and that she'd try to help and that someday I'd probably be pretty close to normal again. I hope I'm okay sometime soon.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Oh prozac. Well, not to burst your bubble, but I found it very destructive, especially since I was taking birth control at the time. I think the birth control caused severe mood swings for which I was prescribed prozac, which really didn't help (I tried it for two months.) I just felt loopy and outside-myself. Maybe it was just the combination, but I quit both. Just another opinion. I hope it works for you! Feel better!

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I was on prozac for PPD nine years ago. It worked wonders for me. It was what I needed to help kickstart my brain chemistry into making some changes (I also started therapy, began to exercise and eat better once the medication began working).

I was medicated for about seven months but then began to develop some symptoms of seratonin overdose (I can't recall if that's the proper term or not, but basically my brain was starting to do what it needed to do on its own and the Prozac was causing too much seratonin to be absorbed... or something along those lines). I weaned off of it at that point and haven't had another episode (although I am a chronic anxiety sufferer, which I plan to address postpartum this time around).

Good luck to you, mama. I hope it continues to work for you

·
Registered
372 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by misseks
Oh prozac. Well, not to burst your bubble, but I found it very destructive, especially since I was taking birth control at the time. I think the birth control caused severe mood swings for which I was prescribed prozac, which really didn't help (I tried it for two months.) I just felt loopy and outside-myself. Maybe it was just the combination, but I quit both. Just another opinion. I hope it works for you! Feel better!

Interesting... here are some links that may provide clues as to the negative side of prozac...

General concerns about SSRI's:

http://www.breggin.com/ (scroll down)
http://www.thomasjmoore.com/pages/depress.shtml
http://www.antidepressantsfacts.com/...ain-damage.htm

·
Registered
544 Posts
I took prozac as a teenager for a few years. I had chronic depression and was suicidal. It really helped me. It helped me get a handle on myself so I could work through some issues and my energy returned and the fog lifted within 2 weeks of starting it. I have no experience using it for ppd, but I imagine it would work the same for any type of depression. I also tried other SSRI's (Zoloft, paxil) which didn't help much and the side effects drove me nuts....and I tried some MAO's/antipsychotics. The only one that I had luck with was prozac. Hope it helps you.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It is working. I feel like a momma again
I feel closer to my darling babe and my depression and anxiety are bearable. I am doing therapy and my therapist said that it was just from brain chemistry changes. She said severe depresion can lead to psychosis-(having trouble distinguishing reality).Thanks everyone for responding

1 - 9 of 9 Posts