Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know what made me think of this the other day.
My little guy didn't have colic, but a close friend had a little guy that cried for hours and hours and hours when he was an infant.

I remember she had tried an elimination diet, but I don't really know the details and I know it didn't last long.

I've heard that colic can be related to allergies/intolerances - is that right?

My question though - They say that babies "outgrow" the colic at 3 months + (true for my friends little guy)
I know many people who know nothing of the food/colic connection and don't make any adjustments.

If the colic is related to food issues, then how do babies "outgrow" it and stop crying for hours? (assuming no food changes were made)
Do their bodies just adjust and have it all manifest into something else?
Do their bodies eventually stop attacking the food proteins? (I was just reading a thread in Life with a Babe that talked about moderate exposure being better at helping eliminate allergies)

Like I said - don't know why I was thinking it, but I'm curious what others think!

·
Registered
431 Posts
I think it might just be communication... my babe had colic and still has tummy upset. When I can tell he's pushing and say, "Good pushing!!" he looks so pleased. He's not always feeling good (we believe there are unresolved food issues), but at least he knows I know. At around 4 months he 'outgrew' the colic and fussed less, but he still seems to be suffering from digestive stuff.

I did an elimination diet with no noticeable results at 2 months. He *seemed* to have less mucous if I stayed off dairy, so I kept on that until my FIL (Dr.) suggested introducing dairy to *help* him get accustomed.
At that point I'd been off for 3 months (he was 6 m) and when I ate some butter, he had blood in his stool 3 days later. (It happened again two months later when a friend accidentally fed me butter - this time even more delayed response-5days?- and more blood). I don't know if anyone else has experienced the same, but we only could really tell when the offender was eliminated for a long time, then re-introduced. Apparently with dairy it takes a long time to clear your system too. So still searching, and may go back to the ED again if necessary...

Interested in what other people may think!

·
Premium Member
10,563 Posts
I'm subbing. I have no idea either. DS1 was diagnosed with "colic" as an infant but didn't outgrow it until he was "too old" to act like an infant, really. His lasted until he was about 18 months. Mind you, at 18 months, he was "only" crying for about 4 hours per day from "colic".

·
Registered
11,992 Posts
when it gets driven deeper the symptoms can change. I don't know that this is what's happening to your child....but that is what happens when allergies turn to eczema and then progress to asthma.

Basically the body at some point can stop fighting and adapt.

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
Conventionally, most folks let their babies CIO in another room, give reflux meds, give dairy, corn or soy based formula, and doctors tell the mamas that 'spit up' and green poop is "normal".

And, iirc, asthma diagnoses in children has increased 50% in the past 10 years alone.

We give children antibiotics and steroids- inhaled, topically and orally. We apply antifungals topically and call it 'cured' or "just eczema".

The infant's gut doesn't "close" (is inherently "leaky") for months after birth. We scope and do swallowing and stomach and bowel studies on young children, and around age 3 put them on restricted diets due to "allergies". Breathing treatments for "asthma" and continue the steroids for "atopic eczema". Once the child can verbalize that "my stomach hurts", the child receives an evaluation. That doesn't mean that they didn't have those issues for the prior three years.

ETA: many folks are not aware/able to make the dietary changes necessary and quit nursing because "baby was allergic to my milk". They try different formulas which may have fewer allergens than their diet, so baby "improves". Some babies and toddlers are called "tantruming" and "clingy" or "needy" when they cry. Some actually get formula which allows their gut to rest and heal. And the immune system matures without issues. Depends upon a lot of issues.

Pat

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.