Mothering Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A while ago I posted a facebook comment from a doctor in a thread and was called gullible for believing it was a real doctor, etc.

I can't remember which thread it was or I would bump this there but just wanted to clear up that she is indeed a real doctor. Recently, her comment was reposted and she replied thanking them for reposting it and pointing out she was off to Malawi next week and still didn't have any non-vax takers ;)

Her name is Jen Seton. She is a doctor from Canada who has worked for Doctors Without Borders. https://www.facebook.com/jen.seton.9?fref=ufi

Here was the original comment:

Anyway, the comments calling me gullible bugged me at the time but I had forgotten about it until I saw this being shared again.

Just wanted to clear it up, thanks :)

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Is she an M.D.? I tried locating her, (as I see you only posted a Facebook page which confirms nothing) but I cannot find her whatsoever by typing in her name and Doctors Without Borders and Canada. I was actually trying to find more about her because if she is truly a doctor, she's very, very unprofessional. I was curious to find some reviews about her practice:grin: Can you provide more to actually verify she's a doctor since you went through the trouble to post this?

·
Registered
18,826 Posts
Looks like Seton is either her middle or maiden name.

Here she is: http://www.thechildren.com/departme...urnbull-md-frcpc-pediatric-emergency-medicine
Thanks. Certainly tricky to find someone named Jennifer Turnbull if you are looking for Jen Seton.

And I agree, that challenge is quite unprofessional.

I've actually known people who traveled internationally with small babies and skipped the vaccines. Kids were fine.

On the other hand, there was a recent news story about someone who got the typhoid vaccine and then caught typhoid. Fortunately he survived. He didn't get that he still needed to be extremely careful about eating and drinking because vaccines are not 100% I think people need more clarity on the limits of vaccines.

Reactions: SilverMoon010

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
"Jen Seton" must be her "party-time" alias then if you check out her profile pics alone as well as a discussion of "quinine Jell-O shots" too when discussing malaria. If she's trying to portray a stand-up image, she may want to act a bit more like a professional. That's as far as I got.

@teacozy, just curious. How were you able to connect a Jen Seton to a Jen Turnball? Where did you find that info?

·
Registered
8,487 Posts
It does amaze me how social media has transformed the landscape of acceptable professionalism. There are people I would never hire as my pediatrician or attorney based on the emotional immaturity and lack of decorum that they display online.

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
"Jen Seton" must be her "party-time" alias then if you check out her profile pics alone as well as a discussion of "quinine Jell-O shots" too when discussing malaria. If she's trying to portray a stand-up image, she may want to act a bit more like a professional. That's as far as I got.

@teacozy, just curious. How were you able to connect a Jen Seton to a Jen Turnball? Where did you find that info?
I just put her name into the hospital website she provided on her facebook page. It was the only Jennifer that pooped up and I recognized her by the picture.

I find it truly shocking that people would criticize a pediatrician who spends her time in war-torn and impoverished countries treating children who are starving to death, dying of malaria, tetanus, and dehydration for drinking alcohol on her time off.

Clearly she deserves more criticism that the typical non vaccine doctor who runs clinics or cash only practices selling supplements and expensive bottles of water to their mostly middle and upperclass patients while selling books and DVDs for profit. (But they aren't in it for the money).

But god forbid she does jello shots! :eyesroll

Back on topic, looks like a doctor made a similar proposal years and years ago in regards to smallpox. Wonder if he had any takers? (this has received more than 1,000 likes on facebook, incidentally.)

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I just put her name into the hospital website she provided on her facebook page. It was the only Jennifer that pooped up and I recognized her by the picture.

I find it truly shocking that people would criticize a pediatrician who spends her time in war-torn and impoverished countries treating children who are starving to death, dying of malaria, tetanus, and dehydration for drinking alcohol on her time off.

Clearly she deserves more criticism that the typical non vaccine doctor who runs clinics or cash only practices selling supplements and expensive bottles of water to their mostly middle and upperclass patients while selling books and DVDs for profit. (But they aren't in it for the money).

But god forbid she does jello shots! :eyesroll

Back on topic, looks like a doctor made a similar proposal years and years ago in regards to smallpox. Wonder if he had any takers? (this has received more than 1,000 likes on facebook, incidentally.)

I was merely taking note of her unprofessionalism with the use of social media, by use of observation. And that is wrong to do... Why? Am I not allowed to make my own observation and come to my own conclusions?

And the significance of 1,000 likes means a lot because? Dogs and cats dressed in high heels and hats can get a bunch of likes too.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Don't need to go to the DRC to see pertussis, thanks. I live in Australia.

Last year's rate per 100,000 was 70.4. This year's looks on track to be higher (though nowhere near as bad as 2010-2011). Just for comparison, I think the rate for the US in 2014 was 9.1.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts