Mothering Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a child who has been diagnosed with JRA? My son is showing some symptoms and while I am trying not to panic, I would like to get more information from some one with experience. I haven't yet done blood work on him, and am trying to decide it that would be worth it.<br><br>
How did it manifest in your child? At what age? How severe is it? What treatments have you considered?<br><br>
Thanks!

·
Registered
640 Posts
May I ask what symptoms? My son complained of sore knees for a while a few months ago, he seemed genuinely in some serious pain, and it didn't add up to what growing pains are "supposed" to be. Anyway, she mentioned JRA, but it hasn't really manifested itself in that way so I think we are ok? He had x-rays and blood work (boy, that was fun!).

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, two times in the last month his knees, elbows and wrists have been red, hot, and swollen and he has complained that they hurt. He has also had unexplained rashes and high fevers. All of these could have been cause by other things (viruses, allergic reactions) but they are also possible indicators of something else going on. Our Dr. says that any time there is bi-lateral swelling in the joints, they tend to think about JRA. I am truly hoping that is NOT what it is, and I guess at this point only time will tell, unless I decide to put my 3 yo through a blood test, which doens't sound like fun for anyone.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Do you have an auto-immune diseases in your family? Is your child vax. Vax can increase the risk of any auto-immune diseases.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Thanks Sweetc... Owen's knees have never been red or swollen, just painful, so she couldn't tell what was going on. Good luck to you, I hope it is something "easy".

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Please have him tested for Lyme Disease. Get blood tests done. It may be able to catch something that requires special medical treatment. Good luck.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll look into it. Why Lyme disease?<br><br>
I just found out that my Grandma had RA. And, Jacob is partially vaxed.

·
Registered
640 Posts
From here: <a href="http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000670.htm" target="_blank">http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/000670.htm</a><br><br>
Deer ticks can be so small that they are almost impossible to see. Therefore, many people with Lyme disease never even saw a tick. These people are more likely to develop symptoms because the tick remained on their body longer.<br><br>
The symptoms of Lyme disease include:<br><br>
* a flat or slightly raised red lesion at the site of the tick bite<br>
* expansion of the red lesion (rash) to several inches over several days. The rash usually will clear in the center and resemble a bull's eye<br>
* fever<br>
* headache<br>
* lethargy<br>
* muscle pains and aches<br>
* joint aches<br>
* swollen glands, either near the rash or all over the body

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
When Lyme Disease was first discovered in Lyme, CT, doctors had discovered a large group of children being diagnosed with JRA. After looking into it, they discovered it was something else.<br><br>
I have Lyme Disease, and it went undiagnosed for some time. The longer it goes untreated, the less your chance is for a complete recovery. So, it's VERY important that if you suspect Lyme Disease, you get tested RIGHT AWAY.<br><br>
Some more symptoms of Lyme Disease:<br>
unexplained fevers, sweats, chills, or flushing; unexplained weight change; fatigue, tiredness, poor stamina; unexplained hair loss; swollen glands; sore throat; testicular pain/pelvic pain; unexplained menstrual irregularity; unexplained milk production; breast pain; irritable bladder or bladder dysfunction; sexual dysfunction or loss of libido; upset stomach or abdominal pain; change in bowel function (constipation or diarrhea); chest pain or rib soreness; shortness of breath, cough; heart palpitations, pulse skips, heart block; heart murmur or valve prolapse; joint pain or swelling; stiffness of the joints or back; muscle pain or cramps; twitching of the face or other muscles; headache, neck creaks and cracks, neck stiffness, neck pain; tingling, numbness, burning or stabbing sensations, shooting pains, skin hypersensitivity; facial paralysis (Bell’s Palsy); double or blurry vision, increased floaters, light sensitivity; buzzing or ringing in ears, ear pain, sound sensitivity; increased motion sickness, vertigo, poor balance; light headedness, wooziness, unavoidable need to sit or lie down; tremor; confusion, difficulty in thinking; difficulty with concentration, reading; forgetfulness, poor short term memory, poor attention, problem absorbing new information; disorientation, getting lost, going to wrong places; difficulty with speech or writing, word or name block; mood swings, irritability, depression; disturbed sleep (too much, too little, fractioned, early awakening); exaggerated symptoms or worse hangover from alcohol.<br><br>
There is some controversy regarding the diagnosis and treatment of Lyme Disease. Ask for the IgG and IgM Western Blots. They are more sensitive. The Elisa is not sensitive enough to be used as a screening tool.<br><br>
Good luck, and let me know how it turns out.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, Journey and Owensmom. I'll talk with our ped and ND about this on Monday. Sounds scary, but not as scary as JRA.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts