Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we might be moving that way and we are seriously considering Lees Summit however, my husband would be working in Overland Park area. How feasible is that commute? Anybody know how long it would take? What is traffic like?

This is one of those deals where it's going to happen, but not exactly sure when and being a planner by nature, I can't just sit around and twiddle my thumbs so I'm researching whatever I can, lol!

We want to be on the Missouri side because of vaccine exemption laws, so any other cities you can reccomend as a good area and good commute?

THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

Jenni

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Overland Park covers a lot of area, so the commute could vary.

He would need to go through "The Triangle" - one of the bottlenecks in the metro area. However, I think KC area traffic is pretty light, compared to other places I have driven. While traffic can slow, it's rarely stop-n-go, as I experienced in my St. Louis commute.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply
I know Sprint has a big presence in Overland Park--if he were to commute from Lee's Summit to there, any guess on how long? (I know it also depends on time of day, etc., but I'm trying to get a rough idea) Think it's a 30 minute commute? An hour commute?

Anybody in Lee's Summit want to give me the scoop on the area? Everything that I'm finding and reading makes me think it's "my kind of town", LOL, but I'd love some insider perspective on the area!

Jenni

·
Premium Member
11,209 Posts
The Sprint HQ is in eastern Overland Park, as I recall. I'm thinking 20-25 minutes normally; more with traffic.

We just moved here and wanted to be on the KS side because the homeschool laws are much easier. What part of the vaccine laws are you referring to? AFAIK, both MO and KS allow for medical and religious exemptions, and neither allow for philosophical.

Dar

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Dar! I truly appreciate these responses!

The vaccine issue is what has prompted us to want to be on the MO side, so I guess maybe I need some clarification on the vaccine issue, if anyone has got it! This is what I've found:

KS: a written statement signed by one parent or guardian that the child is an adherent of a religious denomination whose religious teachings are opposed to such tests or inoculations.

MO: A child is exempt if a parent objects in writing to the school administrator that immunization of that child violates his/her religious beliefs.

Based on that information, and that on some KS gov't site it says they can request letter from clergy, it seemed to me that claiming religious exemption in KS is much more complicated? I am a very mainstream religion that takes no formal stance against vaccination, though it does allow for moral conscience which is how I've been handling it to this point. But we are definitely not "adherents of a religious denomination whose teachings are opposed"! My research indicates KS religious exemption is quite narrow. In my current state, we just write "administration of immunizing agents conflicts with my religious beliefs" and sign on the dotted line--they can't ask what those beliefs are so all is well and I've never had a problem--and the few people I have talked to indicate that MO is much more in line with that.

Can you shed any more light on it for me? Anyone claiming exemption in KS with a religion that takes no formal stance? What has your experience been?

THANKS AGAIN!

jenni

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Hi! I live in Lee's Summit.
The commute to Overland Park isn't terrible... I used to make that drive every day. Though it does bottle-neck... but not the end of the world.

I guess this is a nice area to live. I like being close to all the lakes around here, and there is the nature center in Blue Springs called Burr Oaks that we enjoy. We are also closer to the Ozarks since we are on the southern tip of KC.

Downtown Lee's Summit is really nice. Its an all-American old town down there. I love the old houses around the town too.

I find myself driving to Overland Park a lot though. Beautiful parks over there. And I seem to meet more like-minded mamas there. I dunno. Hey, I would love to find more AP mamas on this side of the state line!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hi! I'm so excited to see your postings! I just moved back to Lee's Summit from Salt Lake City. We really enjoyed Lee's Summit the last time we lived here, and chose it again, even with the longer commute for my husband downtown. As for the commute to OP during rush hour, if there's no wreck, it would probably take your husband around 30 minutes. That's shorter than living in OP or Lee's Summit and commuting downtown, anyway! Lee's Summit is a great place to live, but not so environmentally-aware as where we were before.

I have to admit I don't know anything about the vaccination rules here or in KS. My oldest daughter hasn't started kindergarten yet, and I'm not very forward-thinking in my planning of what we are going to do. We certainly can't claim religious reasons for the vaccines I wish to be exempt from.

If you want to know more about the area, you can post here. My new email isn't working yet, but I'll post it when I can so you can email directly. Also, for any attachment-minded parents in this area, I have 2 girls-- 4 and 2 years-- and we are looking for other parents to connect with. My previous gang of friends aren't of that mindset. Funny how things change so much after having kids!

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Yay! AP mamas in Lee's Summit!

As far as the vax issue - I have a friend in Overland Park that just completed the paper work for her 15 year old, who was being threatened with expulsion if the paperwork didn't appear... she filled it out, and they accepted no questions. If you have any more concerns, I can have her e-mail you and you two can chat...

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
My best friend lives in KC, and she and DH work in Overland Park. I've spent months there working at Sprint Campus, too. Lee's Summit is pretty far from Overland Park and for KC the traffic is bad, but I agree with the PP that KC traffic at its worst is not as bad as normal rush-hour in other cities.

Overland Park is a trendy area and expensive to live in.

One observation: Kansas is much more natural-birth friendly. Missouri is terrible, but my friend's hospital in Kansas, near Overland Park, sounded exceptionally good. They even do water births.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Laurel and Julie,

I'm also a Lee's Summit-er. I'm new here, and was wondering if you could suggest a pediatrician or family practitioner in the area who is AP-friendly, and in particular, OK with selective/delayed vaccinations? I had a recommendation for someone in Olathe but they aren't accepting new patients.

Thanks for any leads!

Shelly
Mom to 3 boys: 7, 4, 13 mos.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
I go to Dr. Shari Ommen on the Plaza with Saint Luke's Family Care. She is a primary care physician and has always been respectful of my decisions.
I couldn't give you a name of a Lee's Summit doctor... sorry.
There is a doctor in Overland Park that many AP mamas go to and love dearly. Dr. Greenwood... on like 135th and Metcalf I think. You might want to check him out.
It would be nice to have a local doc but I went to 2 here in Lee's Summit and was not impressed... so I stuck with my family doc and the drive.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jessitron
My best friend lives in KC, and she and DH work in Overland Park. I've spent months there working at Sprint Campus, too. Lee's Summit is pretty far from Overland Park and for KC the traffic is bad, but I agree with the PP that KC traffic at its worst is not as bad as normal rush-hour in other cities.

Overland Park is a trendy area and expensive to live in.

One observation: Kansas is much more natural-birth friendly. Missouri is terrible, but my friend's hospital in Kansas, near Overland Park, sounded exceptionally good. They even do water births.
Which hospital would that be? I thought the only hospital that did water births was Research - and that is on the MO side.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
It was Olathe Medical Center. It sounded great, from everything she said about it, and her doctor too - very natural-birth-friendly compared to anything (legal) in St. Louis.
Too bad she had an elective C

·
Registered
71 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jessitron
It was Olathe Medical Center. It sounded great, from everything she said about it, and her doctor too - very natural-birth-friendly compared to anything (legal) in St. Louis.
Too bad she had an elective C

THat is where I had my last baby...They didn't do water birth 3 years ago...BUT they do have large jacuzzis in every room.

A nurse at another hospital told me it is "the hippy birth place"...Guess she didn't know that when I was looking for a hospital I said "I want the closest thing to a home birth you can get in a hospital"....

I have been told that some of the OBs aren't as natural birth friendly as the FP....I had my birth attended by my FP's partner and he was great...After intro. himself he said "Is there anything in your birth plan I should be aware of?" (not 'do you have a birth plan - he just assumed I did.)

So, St. Louis isn't particularly natural birth friendly?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Although I haven't taken my girls to the doctor since moving back to Lee's Summit a few weeks ago, I think we'll try Dr. Barbara Trites at Lee's Summit Physician's Group (816-524-5600). I was given her name by a lactation consultant at St. Luke's hospital, and by an extended breastfeeding friend who has found her to be very bf friendly. They also have urgent care hours. The office manager gave us a tour and was very candid about the other doctors in the group. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
I used to live out east (Independence and Blue Springs) and work in O.P. I would never ever do that again. But I don't enjoy sitting in traffic at all. Or having to get up extra early. Or wasting so much gas. Or having to leave even earlier if the weather is bad. Or being late if there was an accident or something. I just hated it.

My suggestion, if you want to live in Missouri and be near O.P., is to find a place near the state line. Waldo is a great neighborhood. It's in a pretty crunchy area of town. Lots of cute old houses with tons of charm. And it'd be pretty easy to find a house within walking distance to grocery stores, banks, and other convenient stuff.
You'd most likely have to send your kids to private school, or homeschool though.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well ladies, looks like this might actually be happening sooner than later. We're still leaning heavily towards Lees Summit, so those of you from there, gimme the scoop!! Where do we NOT want to be, what schools are good, preschool recommendations, the whole shebang--I will gladly soak up any info you want to share! (And for my DH, he is a bike rider--are there any trails or the like in the area, or even if he has to drive a small distance on weekends, for this?)

A little about us
We have 2 girls, 6 and 3, and we were moderately crunchy when they were little. We are now at a point where they are out of our bed, finished nursing, and would prefer to walk than be snuggled in arms so I feel a little out of the circle now, lol. We do not vax, so that's a bit alternative I guess. Honestly, we are pretty middle-of-the-road people these days but subscribe to the philosophy that everyone must do what is best for their family and their children and no one else should be judging that! We are not big on doctors, prefering alternatives when possible, and have been lucky to have a ped of the same mindset. We are not currently homeschooling, but are considering it for the future.

I would love to make contact with someone and pick your brains about an area of the country I've never even driven through!

Jenni

·
Registered
71 Posts
I won't be a lot of help b/c we are also looking to move - probably Blue Springs (Homes seem to be a bit older with more character.) or maybe Lee's Summit. However, I am right down here already...on the Kansas side...(Dh's job is moving to the MO side - He doesn't look forward to the added commute time and I don't want to deal with taxes in two states)

I will eagerly read what others post here to help me in my search too....

·
Registered
50 Posts
Lived in Lee's Summit from 1998 until 2002, then just moved back here this summer. It's a very safe, suburban community with all the standard box stores (Target, Best Buy, BBB, Walmart Supercenter, Home Depot, Lowes, etc). There is a small natural foods store (Nature's Market) in town, and a bigger grocery store (Nature's Pantry) about 10 min. north in Independence. I am also of the alternative mindset when it comes to health and foods, and I find I miss being by Whole Foods or Wild Oats sometimes, but our local Hy-Vee has been stocking almost everything I need except supplements and meat. Well, their produce isn't so hot, either, actually. The Hen House grocery does use local farm's natural meats, but it's limited in choice. Target carries natural family chicken packages, and some good produce, but it's not consistent. Hy-Vee will order things for you if you ask.

As for the other moms I'm meeting... can't say I'm finding a lot of moms who would frequent Mothering.com, or even read the magazine, but they may be here. It is VERY suburban, and that's the only way I know to describe it. Lots of new houses going up all over, etc. We live on the east side (Charleston Park is the subdivision) in a 9 1/2 year old house, and there are houses downtown Lee's Summit that are over 100 years. There are some areas that aren't as safe, but I don't know the neighborhoods off the top of my head. Feel free to email any you are looking at online and I can find out if those are ok (as far as we know, anyway). The school system here is excellent -- they have a top-notch music program, too.

Vaxing... I am NOT finding like-minded moms. We have selectively vaxed and it has only recently become an issue with my oldest daughter going to preschool. It ended up not being a problem because she had all but 1 vaxination they required (I've since changed my stance on some of those we allowed her to have). Public school may be a different story. As for finding a preschool, that was a tough one for me. My husband and I are not very religious, and we found our choices were limited to day cares or religious schools for the most part. We picked a church Montessori school that seems to be ok so far. I can get more info on that, too, if you want.

Got to put the groceries away, but can I just say I'm so excited there may be more Mothering moms here! I do still nurse my 2 year old, so we are doing the family bed with her. My 4 year old is enjoying her own bed now, so I know where you are coming from -- or at least where we're headed!

Let me know if you need any specifics. Feel free to email me or just post here. Good luck!

Laurel

1 - 20 of 27 Posts