Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
50 Posts
Hi! I'm so excited to see your postings! I just moved back to Lee's Summit from Salt Lake City. We really enjoyed Lee's Summit the last time we lived here, and chose it again, even with the longer commute for my husband downtown. As for the commute to OP during rush hour, if there's no wreck, it would probably take your husband around 30 minutes. That's shorter than living in OP or Lee's Summit and commuting downtown, anyway! Lee's Summit is a great place to live, but not so environmentally-aware as where we were before.

I have to admit I don't know anything about the vaccination rules here or in KS. My oldest daughter hasn't started kindergarten yet, and I'm not very forward-thinking in my planning of what we are going to do. We certainly can't claim religious reasons for the vaccines I wish to be exempt from.

If you want to know more about the area, you can post here. My new email isn't working yet, but I'll post it when I can so you can email directly. Also, for any attachment-minded parents in this area, I have 2 girls-- 4 and 2 years-- and we are looking for other parents to connect with. My previous gang of friends aren't of that mindset. Funny how things change so much after having kids!

· Registered
50 Posts
Although I haven't taken my girls to the doctor since moving back to Lee's Summit a few weeks ago, I think we'll try Dr. Barbara Trites at Lee's Summit Physician's Group (816-524-5600). I was given her name by a lactation consultant at St. Luke's hospital, and by an extended breastfeeding friend who has found her to be very bf friendly. They also have urgent care hours. The office manager gave us a tour and was very candid about the other doctors in the group. Good luck!

· Registered
50 Posts
Lived in Lee's Summit from 1998 until 2002, then just moved back here this summer. It's a very safe, suburban community with all the standard box stores (Target, Best Buy, BBB, Walmart Supercenter, Home Depot, Lowes, etc). There is a small natural foods store (Nature's Market) in town, and a bigger grocery store (Nature's Pantry) about 10 min. north in Independence. I am also of the alternative mindset when it comes to health and foods, and I find I miss being by Whole Foods or Wild Oats sometimes, but our local Hy-Vee has been stocking almost everything I need except supplements and meat. Well, their produce isn't so hot, either, actually. The Hen House grocery does use local farm's natural meats, but it's limited in choice. Target carries natural family chicken packages, and some good produce, but it's not consistent. Hy-Vee will order things for you if you ask.

As for the other moms I'm meeting... can't say I'm finding a lot of moms who would frequent Mothering.com, or even read the magazine, but they may be here. It is VERY suburban, and that's the only way I know to describe it. Lots of new houses going up all over, etc. We live on the east side (Charleston Park is the subdivision) in a 9 1/2 year old house, and there are houses downtown Lee's Summit that are over 100 years. There are some areas that aren't as safe, but I don't know the neighborhoods off the top of my head. Feel free to email any you are looking at online and I can find out if those are ok (as far as we know, anyway). The school system here is excellent -- they have a top-notch music program, too.

Vaxing... I am NOT finding like-minded moms. We have selectively vaxed and it has only recently become an issue with my oldest daughter going to preschool. It ended up not being a problem because she had all but 1 vaxination they required (I've since changed my stance on some of those we allowed her to have). Public school may be a different story. As for finding a preschool, that was a tough one for me. My husband and I are not very religious, and we found our choices were limited to day cares or religious schools for the most part. We picked a church Montessori school that seems to be ok so far. I can get more info on that, too, if you want.

Got to put the groceries away, but can I just say I'm so excited there may be more Mothering moms here! I do still nurse my 2 year old, so we are doing the family bed with her. My 4 year old is enjoying her own bed now, so I know where you are coming from -- or at least where we're headed!

Let me know if you need any specifics. Feel free to email me or just post here. Good luck!

Laurel

· Registered
50 Posts
Did you ever go see Shari Ommen? I am needing a new doctor, too! I am right with you re: the vaxing. Now they are adding another one-- was it Rotovirus? Can't remember.

I also learned about attachment parenting from Dr. Sears right before my first was born. And I found a great group of like-minded moms in La Leche League, and that helped me to con't our "controversial" lifestyle. It really IS controversial here in Missouri, don't you think? Kind of weird as I never thought of myself as a buck-the-system sort of gal, but that's how it's turning out. My family is tolerant, and some of them are venturing into being supportive, which is helpful.

Have you found a mom/group of moms who also attachment parent? I've given up on finding someone who selectively (or doesn't at all) vaxes. It seems people freak out enough at sleeping with your child and extending breastfeeding beyond one year.

Let me know if you saw that doctor and how it went, if you get a chance. I'm on the lookout for a more open pediatrician, too.

· Registered
50 Posts
Good luck to you! Moving is so stressful, and exciting, too. You said your husband hates the drive--- is he living here and commuting to Overland Park or downtown? Or is he living at home still and commuting to KC? I know the commute from Lee's Summit to downtown or KS is very hard on my husband. Might really make a difference where you are willing to move. Greenwood has some cheaper housing, but it's farther to drive to the main areas. Same with Pleasant Hill, I think. Certainly more affordable housing as far as I've seen, though.

I will send good thoughts your way and wish the best for you. Been there/done that and am enjoying being IN our house and NOT moving for a couple of years or so. This will be you soon, I hope!

Laurel

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.